1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God speak a language with an unlimited vocabulary?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible says that God created the universe by speaking, and that He upholds the universe by speaking. How he created the universe through speaking, and how his hand fashioned everything according to his own design, has always been a puzzle to me. But I think that, God being all-knowing, and infinitely creative, He could have a word for every possible concept, by which He, speaking those words, can command reality, not as though it were necessary for him to do this, seeing he used the word of his power, and not the power of his word.

What are your thoughts?

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is AMLIGHTY, and IS Infinite in ALL that He does.

He says, and it happens!

Genesis Chapter One is Testimony to His UNLIMITED Power!

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be a language only between the Persons who are [the one] GOD.

4. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Lord's concept of language is something we will not understand until we are with Him, and even then only in a limited way.

For example all languages have past/present/future tense. With God those are all occurring simultaneously. He is in the past, present and future at all times. Speech that doesn't require time constrictions is not present on Earth because we are all subject to time. He isn't and His language will be almost totally alien to us (not entirely alien as we are created in His image).

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That God chose to communicate to humans demonstrates His lingual capabilities. And that He used language man could understand reflects His amazing love.

I cannot communicate the depth of theology/philosophy with the robin nesting by my door nor she understand my sounds. God can. Even the wild winds of nature on this planet know His voice.

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    God gave these human languages in the first place!

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there is an infinite number of languages, then there is an infinite number of praises and curses. That also puts another dimension to the question of when pentecostals (or others) "speak in tongues," are they actually speaking a language instead of babbling? For a God of infinity could have, or create if necessary, an infinite number of languages-- in which case any put-together of syllables is both a praise and a curse in infinity.

This is Twilight Zone stuff, and perhaps fitting for Independence Day weekend. Or maybe it's a different way of looking at the question: if God can do anything, then can he make a rock so big he can't lift it?

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not talking about the "infinity of human languages", but of "the POWER of God", Who is LIMITLESS

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he is "infinite in all that he does," as you said, did he DO human languages?

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    when Paul recounts his conversion in Acts chapter 26, he says that Jesus Christ Spoke to him from heaven:

"And when we all had fallen to the ground, I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew (or, Aramaic) language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’"

Not some "heavenly language"

In 1 Corinthians 14, where Paul discusses the Gift of Tongues in detail, it is clear from verse 21, which is a quote from Isaiah 28:11–12, that he meant "the Gift of Tongues", to be human languages, that are not known to the speaker, as we see from Acts chapter 2, " When this sound occurred, a crowd came together and was confused because each one heard them speaking in his own language" (verse 6). I attended a Pentecostal Church when living in London, in the 1980's, and saw first hand, the majority of "tongues" was no more than "human gibberish".

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Hebrew the language of heaven that has always been used and will be for eternity? Some of my friends teach this as a "fact". Others reject it.

I agree with my friends. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    if Hebrews is "the language of heaven that has always been used and will be for eternity", then why did God Himself abandon this language, and use the more precise Greek for the New Testament? How would the Hebrew read for John 10:30, where the Greek is, "ἐγὼ καὶ ὁ Πατὴρ ἕν ἐσμεν"? "ἕν" here is neuter, and there is no Hebrew equivalent for this? The masculine "εἷς", would destroy what Jesus is saying here, on His "essential unity" with the Father, though Two distinct Persons, "ἐσμεν".

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God spoke Hebrew to the Hebrews, to the Greeks he spoke Greek.
    God is surrounded by a heavenly host, he speaks to them in a language they understand.

Psalm 19
    The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
    Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.​

Rob