Does Love Require Free Will?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Mark Corbett, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your unbelieving neighbour is not as wicked as he can possibly be, since he hasn't murdered you yet.
    Sin was not part of God's good creation, though it is of note that He pronounced it 'very good' and not perfect. Adam and Eve were made sinless, but defectable-- that is, they could fall.
    Genesis 3:24; Psalm 14:1-3 etc.).
    Indeed so (John 6:44). But Mark 10:26-27. 'And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, "Who then can be saved?" But Jesus looked at them and said, "With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible."'

Praise God for irresistible grace! :)

2. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 1:27. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.'
    Genesis 5:3. 'And Adam lived 130 years, and begot a son after his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.'

3. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why no one takes you seriously. You make up stories and claims.

4. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did God say yes to Satan's request?

Could Satan have touched Job without God giving him the authorization?

Utilyan, you are desperately forcing your man-made belief on the text.

Perhaps your version of God is not the God of the Bible.

5. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it depends on how you define "free will". For example, some insist that men have "free will" in terms of will that is unrestricted by human nature (in the case of your examples of a Christ-like love, this would equate to Jesus having a will uninfluenced by His divinity or "knowing" the Father as well). Most (not all) who argue against "free will" do not hold this definition but rather point to a human self-centered inclination away from God. None of your examples illustrate "free-will" in terms of a libertarian freedom but rather the freedom to choose.

Apart from the work of the Spirit men will choose what is of human nature, and this will be a genuine free choice ("free will"). As God reveals Himself to man through the Spirit and in a supernatural way to those being saved, these men choose God (again, a genuine free choice..."free will"). But this is not a choice free from God's own work or influence.

The error here is that so many seem to think that if God reveals Himself to man in a way that is undeniable and therefore influences man's decision then men are deprived of a freedom to choose. This creates a false dichotomy As an example -. If I show you a painting and you are so impressed that you want to purchase that piece of artwork, have I therefore deprived you of your free will? Of course not. But at the same time, your will in this example is not uninfluenced by the painting itself.

6. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Apart from God's willful drawing and calling a human out into his presence, not one person will ever turn to God and freely walk toward God. A human will always hide from the presence of God. We saw this in the Garden of Eden. We see it today in unregenerate mankind. If God does not call the person by name, that person will never come to Christ.
    Therefore, there is no free will in the process of reconciliation. God either makes a person alive to God or they remain dead in their trespasses and sins.
    It matters not whether a person chooses a ham sandwich or a cheeseburger. This changes not the spirit of a human. God will use both the regenerate and unregenerate to fulfill and accomplish his perfect will.

7. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are saying that man has no will involved then I disagree. Here I would agree with Spurgeon's illustration of going "willingly against one's will" (that is, the old will which was changed by God's redemptive work). So we agree that apart from God drawing a person that person would never come. That said (and we may disagree here) Scripture teaches that while God chose and drew us first, this resulted in our choosing Him. We do turn to God out of our own free-will, albeit a freedom that is not uninfluenced.

I love God because He first loved me. And He loved me by sending His Son to die that I would have life and a life of spiritual abundance. I am the product of God's labor, created in Christ for good works which God has prepared beforehand that I should walk in them. And I freely choose to love God because of this redemptive work that He has accomplished in my life.

8. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"Apart from God's willful drawing and calling a human out into his presence, not one person will ever turn to God and freely walk toward God."

No kidding that boundary is easily explained with why anyone is living and breathing right now compared to someone who does not exist who obviously cannot freely walk towards God.

Apart from God name one thing anyone can do at all.

9. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You attack character because you can't defend your theology.

You made accusation of heresy I said show us when that happened, Show us where it first shows up.

Your entire defense is based on lies and false accusations. You make up what we believe then you make up accusations with no evidence.

Debating you is an enjoyable piece of cake. :Biggrin

10. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A mouse can't sneeze without God's permission. That does not mean he ordains the mouse to sneeze, that is beyond stupid.

God has ordained for the entire internet to tell you that is so stupid!

So if the internet says you are an idiot, does that mean God ordains that you are an idiot!? NO IT DOES NOT.

And My version of God? like I get a pick?
    What do you mean perhaps?

Here is my version. He still would be 100% efficiently better then your whiny god.

My version of God is Jabba the Hutt.

11. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We do have disagreement in that scripture teaches that God chose us , drew us, adopted us, made us alive completely apart from any willful choice of our own.

I agree that the result of this act of God's is a response of love and gratitude. That is effect, which results from the cause...that being God's effectual work of redemption.

12. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You fall short of grasping the difference between God sustaining all that is His creation and God choosing, from out of that creation, a people unto Himself.

13. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Blah, blah, blah.

Your church teaches heresy. I showed it within your own catechism. You continue with more blah, blah, blah...

14. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did God say yes to Satan's request.

A simple yes or no will suffice.

15. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe no man is saved while yet unwilling (using Spurgeon again to say no one is saved against their will) but also that no one comes except he be drawn. Where do you believe we disagree (and what are your supporting passages)?

16. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No man would ever be saved, if his will were given precedence.

Saul/Paul was saved in spite of his will to persecute and kill Christians. God did not give Paul a choice on the road to Damascus. What we observe is the response of Paul immediately after God effectually chooses Paul.

17. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

NO.

Hey is learning to read the last thing elect folks regenerate?

Read it again. Your reading comprehension is horrible.

It was GOD's IDEA to test Job. Satan did not request anything he is too slick, He twists the truth to how it is.

You see you keep making stuff up, That isn't even there! show me "Satan's request".

Did God ordain evil? No. what God did was righteous and perfect.

Everything God ordains is PERFECT and GOOD. God ordains all evil to be vanquished by good. But never has God been an architect and planned EVIL.

18. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are adding something to the text that is not there. What does Job 1 and 2 tell us?

You refuse to be honest with the text. Such is the lot of a person who is making his god in his own image.

19. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is absurd Menno, because your theology claims Saul/Paul has never had a will to persecute and kill Christians to begin with.

You can't half-ways say someone has free will.

Even Ananias right there in the same chapter is basicly like......well gee Lord you think saul is a good idea?

Think about it. He thinks has to let Jesus know who saul is, basicly questioning Jesus, we see Peter do it later too, And Jesus has to ask Saul why he is being percecuted.

"calvinist" - Jesus would have never put up with anything above^ He would shove his puppet hand up his saul puppet hole and be like.....oh yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah lets go Jesus lets do this!

Please....

20. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You said Satan made a request. Show me that verse. Is English not your first language?