Does Reformed theology require one to murder heretics

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evenifigoalone, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I refer you to Leonard Verduin, “The Reformers and Their Stepchildren.”

2. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 'top down" religions dictate the beliefs and behaviors of those under their jurisdiction. On the other end of the spectrum, the bottom up religions support autonomous churches. Thus the "reformed" invasion of Baptists seeks to turn liberty into tyranny.

3. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume this refers to Calvin and Servatrus situation...
    The Church tha treally has put to death over years has been Church of Rome, problem was the "heretics" they killed off were actually many times real Christians!

4. evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not actually, no. In one of my groups I was in on Facebook, I was asking questions about
    Reformed theology and one person came in saying I couldn't be Reformed because I was a Libertarian and that real Reformed people support Theonomy. After asking a few more questions, he started saying things like under a Theonomist government heretics would be put to death.
    (I left the group soon afterwards because the admin agreed with him. Didn't want to be a part of something that condemns innocent people to death. Not everyone in the group agreed with him and some said that that guy was one of the more extreme ones and not to let him scare me away from Reformed theology. But with the admins supporting the extreme view, just left a bad taste in my mouth and felt being there was bad for my witness.)

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theonomy is very interesting, as if applied to the extent was done under the administration of the Old Covenant law. many of us here would have been stoned long time ago!

6. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No He didnt. That is a total misinterpretation of the woman caught in sin.

7. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF that was what Jesus meant, then Israel should not have been used by God in OT to execute judgment against pagan nations!