1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does The RCC Teach true Gospel/Jesus?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JesusFan, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree, but is that active inclination toward evil something they can help change? Isn't that like telling a person who hates you and loves it so, that they can be saved from that condition if they will simply be willing not to love it so? Isn't that an oxymoron?

2. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Hello again! I wrote a very long post just to kind of tell you where I am and have been and I appreciate your testimony and I have learned by reading your posts. First question is, where did you hear the Gospel of Salvation by faith through grace? Where were you preached to? Later on you mention my statement of "salvation by grace through faith"--yes I didn't say alone, but I didn't add anything to it either.....My premise is that salvific faith itself is by the grace of God [if you have read RC Sproul you should understand that]--yes man can fabricate and "work at" faith; however, if it doesn't come from God he will find himself somewhere in the parable of the sower [not the good soil either :)]

First, sounds like we are about the same age as those are the same people I used to listen to! Secondly, any serious student of the Bible will lean towards TULIP whether they accept all the points of the Doctrines of Grace [Calvinism] or Not

I explained that earlier

Ok I won't go into the catechism points --my question to you is: if you were to explain to me how someone will go to heaven, you will answer what? The Catholic Church will answer what?

If salvation comes from grace through faith, what is the purpose of the mass? What is the doctrine of transubstantiation? Do I have to have faith in those things to go to heaven? Would you turn someone who is truly seeking to be saved to the Catholic church? Is that how you found salvation? Your testimony seems to say otherwise......A different question: if a child is born into a RC family and goes through all the requirements the Church has, will they go to Heaven? Does the RC Church tell them they are saved [going to Heaven]? I have no doubt there are saved people in the RCC as there are many unsaved people in Protestant Churches, my question is, why would a truly born again believer want to be a part of a system which doesn't teach salvation by faith IN CHRIST ALONE [there I said it for you:)]

God bless

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Personally I would see that as drawing an awfully fine line between words. Given the great latitude men take today in translating words such as fornication vs adultery, I believe latitude would be in order here as well.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heavenly Pilgrim
    HP: It will not return to Him void. It will stand for eternity justifying God for His actions concerning those that turned a deaf ear and an unwilling unyieiding heart. They heard the truth, even though in some measure, yet they would not obey.

HP: Clearly he was speaking to those that were transformed as a result of the Spirit's coming. "In power" could be referring also to spiritual manifestations of miraculous happenings accompanying their salvation. "Much assurance" certainly meant that there was absolutely no doubt as to the transformation of their hearts and lives. "in the Holy Ghost" spoke to the influence of the Spirit upon their hearts and lives.

HP: Scripture is written in common parlance. I believe one could use either word in reality to describe the super natural change of heart and life they were privy to. It could be stated they received it just as it came.

HP: Because when the gospel light is rejected ( the gospel presented to an individual by words) there is no power evident, there is no changed life, even though the Spirit was there in truth to complete those demonstrations of power and a changed life IF one would have been willing to receive it. Those that the Apostle is speaking to did NOT receive the gospel in words only, but rather they received a life changing experience via the workings of the Holy Spirit in their hearts and lives.

HP: If one is trying to support ones soteriology from this passage they might be trying to get it to walk on all four legs in support of it. I do not believe I have done that nor is it my intention in any way. One can try to distinguish minor nuances of words/passages to their detriment. I would hope I am not guilty of such.

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It is plain to see that there can be no further objective discussion between us on this text. I will leave off this discussion by making this one last contextual insight to an objective understanding to this text.

1 Thessalonians 1:5 must be intepreted in light of verse 4 where Paul suggests that it is possible to know ones election of God. It is in light of that thought that Paul makes a contrast between the negative "came NOT in word only" and the postive "but in power and in the Spirit and in much assurance" as evidence of their election of God.

I wish you well.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Your statement might well be an oxymoron, but is not what I would advise anyone. I cannot tell you how inclinations changes but I know they can. In some ways some inclinations may never change but with the help proffered by the Holy Spirit we can triumph over the strongest of inclinations. Inclinations are not sin in and of themselves. They serve as temptations to sin. To be tempted is human but to yield to temptation is sin.

The point is not to be free from all inclinations. We still live in the flesh and saved or not saved we can all have inclinations to evil and selfishness. Our duty is NOT to eliminate inclinations directly, but rather to rise above the inclinations via the help of the Holy Spirit and to form our intents in line with obedience and benevolence regardless of the motivations from the flesh, the world, or the enemy of our souls to do otherwise.

Inclinations take on varies forms. Some are completely involuntary, due to the nature of our flesh and its weaknesses, some are instincts given to us by God for survival etc. Some we have coddled and fueled by selfish repetition, and some are from Satan and the world that simply catch us off guard inciting inclinations that otherwise might not be active. We cannot cut our selves off for the flesh in this world, but we can learn to cease from fueling those selfish inclinations, and learn not to feed those inclinations from the world or our flesh. Scripture tells us to flee fornication, youthful lusts, resist the devil and he will flee. It tells us to seek after good things, righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience meekness. It admonishes us to fight the good fight of faith and to lay hold of eternal life. We are to make our calling and election certain, and IF we do theses things we shall never fall. This is the direction I would council myself and others to take to bring about clear change in our character and ability to overcome temptation and selfish inclinations. Seek God with all our heart to strengthen us in the inner man to learn to overcome the wiles of the enemies of our soul, including but not limited to our own flesh.

Yes, with the help of God we can effect real change, and yes our wills are directly involved. We can receive all the help we so desire if we will but yield our wills in complete submission to His. That is the journey I am on and with the Lord's help am going to make heaven my eternal home.

#305 Heavenly Pilgrim, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Well and good. I will leave you with this one thought on the subject. Regardless of the assurance we once have received, we still are commanded to make our calling and election certain subsequent to first receiving such an assurance or demonstration of power. If ones life is not currently in agreement with the Word, and if ones conscience is evil, if ones works are not consistent with ones faith, such a one is in grave danger of deception.

My God be real in your heart and life.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Either I have failed to make myself clear or you have misundestood what I meant by "inclination." I am speaking of the bent of the human nature as a whole which is opposed to God and the things of God (Rom. 8:7). That very bent (rebellion) is sin and what makes a human being a sinner BY NATURE. Man sins because he is a sinner by nature. He is simply acting out what he IS by nature. He does not sin in order to become a sinner but he is born with that bent from his mother's womb.

However, I sense that this is a futile conversation so I will leave off here and I assure that God is very real both in my heart and in my life.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

Biblicist, Boy are you leaving after opening a keg of worms.:smilewinkgrin:

I liked the part about Christ being real in your heart and life!:thumbs:

9. targus

targus New Member

I did not ask you about the "readings" of the RCC. I asked you if one can be saved by reading the bible.

You seem to be saying that the gospel is not contained in the bible.

Interesting. I believe that Catholics use this as an arguement for the need for the authoritity for the Pope to guide the church.

Who guides DHK in his preaching?

The bible? Then why wouldn't the bible guide the unsaved reader of the bible?

The Holy Spirit? Then why wouldn't the Holy Spirit guide the unsaved reader of the bible?

I think that you are giving yourself too much credit if you think that it is you and your preaching that saves others instead of the Word found in the bible.

10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My answer would be 'yes', but it would come with a heavy doctrinal caveat: you're potentially describing something akin to the 'cargo cult' scenario, in that the said Scriptures would be introduced without being properly contextualised through sound teaching/ preaching. (IIRC, Robert Heinlein posited a sci-fi version of this in one of the short stories in The Menace from Earth). As a Proper Anglican, I believe that "The Holy Scriptures contain all that is necessary for salvation" (from the 39 Articles) but not all that is necessary for sound doctrine.

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not TS or indeed Catholic but will take a stab at answering this for you from what I hope is a Catholic perspective. Having been raised Catholic myself, I think the Catholic answer to you would be in the form of questions thrown right back at you eg: "if salvation comes from grace through faith, what is the point of reading the Bible? Or of praying?" etc. I have often heard evangelicals describe prayer as the spiritual equivalent of breathing and the study of Scripture as being the spiritual equivalent of eating; that bears a striking similarity to how I have heard the Mass and in particular Communion described by Catholics.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Well look at that Matt. You carried this thread to 32 pages.
    We have to close it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.