1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drink

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:eek: TMI skan!

:laugh:

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Example given in the priest line

We are priests and joint heirs with Christ - that is scripturally clear.

There was a specific law given to Aaron and the descendants that they did not follow. They were forbidden to take strong drink when they entered the temple (tabernacle). See: Lev 10

Paul states that our body is a tabernacle (temple).

Within us the Holy Spirit dwells just as in the temple (tabernacle) the presence of God dwelt.

Therefore, the Scripture clearly teaches that the believer is not to take any wine or strong drink - exceptions noted.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The only part that implies no hope is where it says to give strong drink to him that is perishing. I assume that means to someone who is dying. I guess agedman doesn't believe in morphine for those who are dying either. :rolleyes:

I am grateful for the morphine my dad was given as he was dying.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    >>>>>>>>>

I would disagree that it is permissible to take an intoxicant (exception noted).

It is a matter of teaching that the Godly man does not sit at the seat of the scornful (wine is a mocker) and does not walk and stands in the way of the ungodly sinners (strong drink is raging).

I do not recall any other part of scripture that actually names two physical items as having actual human attributes. One has to be be actually living to rage and mock. That isn't found in meat, cars, houses, land, clothes, careers ... not even gluttony. If I am wrong on this point, please post a reference that applies.

Isaiah cried out against the priestly line who got to drinking so often that it was as bad as a sorority beer party. Look further in that passage for the rebuke and solution by God.

Secondly, there is a matter of separation unto God. That hasn't been considered in this thread.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Since we are sharing TMI... The propofol I recieved when I got my colonoscopy made me so out of it that I never covered my memory from about 6 hours of that day! It was just completely gone! I was probably more "drunk" durring that time than I could get from drinking 10 beers!

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Do we need to equally apply all the other requirements of the Levitical law for the priests while entering the temple?

Plus, doesn't the distinction of "while going into the temple" and the uniqueness for the levites tell you something about those who are not entering the temple as levites?

I'll make a deal with you. I'll grow out my sideburns but you let me keep my beer, okay?

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, maybe I should have been more explicit....I'm looking for actual Scriptural points not ad hoc commentary sans biblical references.

I'd love to see where consuming alcohol is explicitly forbidden in Scripture.

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Agedman: For clarification, are we to assume you believe the "wine" Jesus drank and made was grape-juice?

9. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Friend no offense intended but, did you hurt yourself with this hermeneutical stretch?

Believers today are descendants of the Aaronic Priesthood? Now that is an interesting claim!

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I am very grateful for modern medical help.

However, the point you made would make it even less necessary for any true believer to take an intoxicant (exceptions noted).

11. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

In recalling several surgical procedures I've had in the past ten or so years I honestly can't remember anything after I was asked to start counting backwards.

The subsequent painkiller medicines were a rich blessing!

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

HA! That is the truth. I'll bet you said some pretty funny stuff that day too and you don't even remember it! :laugh:

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Huh? Are you saying my dad wasn't a believer because he took morphine?

14. Skandelon

No, no, no, Amy. He is saying that he wasn't a believer because he shaved the edge of his beard. ;)

"Priests must not shave their heads or shave off the edges of their beards" - Lev 21

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be so easy for you, wouldn't it.

Perhaps you would like to look at scriptures that "explicityly forbid" pedophilia, polygamy (polyamory), or even lesbianism.

The point being, the above are all sin against the example and nature of God in Christ. So is taking an intoxicant (exceptions noted).

16. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Yet, Jesus partook in wine, created wine, and practiced a ceremony that included wine. Are you saying Jesus sinned?

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No need. We already know the scriptures that condemn those things. Where are the ones that condemn ANY use of alcohol?

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does not the Scripture refer the believers as priests that our bodies are the temple?

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me!

I don't believe there is one verse in the Scriptures that condemn any of those three.

But, they remain sin, for they are definitely out of the character and nature of Christ.

20. Skandelon

But I don't like any of those things and I like beer...so clearly this isn't applicable to my particular situation. :wavey:

What about Dr. Pepper? It makes my kids a bit hyper and definitely not "Christlike." Can we add that to the banned list while were at it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.