1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drink

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am with you Jerome. Although I think the point might be that professors should not imbibe with students. I see no issue personally with professors having a drink at a local restaurant or venue, but I would frown on them drinking "with" students.

3. quantumfaith

Good one Arbo, good one. You are so witty.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe Jerome is saying that Shorter's statement prohibits all drinking in public.

5. quantumfaith

Yes, I picked up on that, I do realize it is a private institution, and they can set whatever rules they deem necessary. We are also free to express that we do not agree as well. I have a friend whose daughter just started college on scholarship at Shorter, anxious to speak with her and get a feeling for how the student population views recent changes.

I re-emphasize, I believe it is correct to discourage faculty and staff from drinking "with" students, but simply drinking anywhere a student might be present is a stretch for myself. I teach college (public). I am not about to drink "with" students, but if I choose to have a beer or glass of wine at a local restaurant, I see no problem there. Now, being inebriated is a whole different ballgame. No one, much less a believer has any business being so. In fact scripture directs otherwise.

#85 quantumfaith, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
  6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 14:13
    Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Amen! We must all watch out for the stumbling block of legalism!

Is that the one you meant? ;)

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just what IS a stumbling block? Is it anytime someone might get offended? That they feel their "sensibilities" are at stake? If we do something that someone else considers a sin even though it's not in the Bible? Just what is our definition of a stumbling block?

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skan, I didn't interpret it, that's up to the indwelling Holy Spirit. I posted it for some thought-provoking.

What it says to me is I shouldn't do anything that is going to cause my brother to fall. This is such a ME society that noone recalls that our testimony counts.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're referring to my post, it was made purely in jest.

I guess I'm one of the fortunate few who were raised within a family of discreet responsible drinkers. That's the way I see the consumption of alcohol should be, discreet and responsible.

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I agree.

It is difficult at times to detect jest within a reply, my apologies.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They should stay away from the mead:thumbsup:

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    im my culture, a man sits down with another man & throws down a coupla beers & discusses stuff & there is no harm in it.....its a bonding process. Yes I have seen the poor schmo who cant hold his liquor & thats unfortunate....those people need to get help. And Ive been to many many AA meetings in support of those with problems but I will not abstain from having a beer now an again because someone else has a drinking problem... thats just insane.

Cheers!

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for the record:

Hebrews 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.​

HankD

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You mean you "couldn't" care less - unless you really could care less than what you care right now. ;)

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you KNOW this was grape juice because it couldn't mean wine. ;)

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I'll drink to that!!!!

[​IMG]

FTR, I do drink......water, coffee, pop, kool-aid, gatorade, etc. No alcohol for me thanks, I'm driving!!!

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The reason I am for abstenance from alcohol is for witness purposes. What you do in your home is none if my businsess. This is between you and your Maker(and not Maker's Mark:laugh: ). However, in public, if someone is holding a beer in their hand, I think that the just shot their testimony in the foot. I just see no way of being a good witness with an alcoholic beverage in one's hand. But, this is MY oponion, only.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Here's another issue that falls under what I have been on a tear about lately.

Teetotalism is a NEW DOCTRINE.

It is not taught in the Scriptures.

And the Church, by and large, NEVER believed it until about 100 to 150 years ago.

That makes it problematic.

It is the kind of hermeneutic that allows teetotalism which also allows Rob Bell's universalism- except that universalism actually has longer historical roots than teetotalism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.