1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

The Drunkard

I woke up this morning, alone and cold
    An empty wine bottle in my hand, I now hold
    A knot in my stomach, a pain in my head
    A box in the alley is my only bed

A doctor last month said, 'Soon you will die
    Cirrhosis has claimed you, there's no need to cry'
    He's done all he can, but still there is hope
    "Lord Jesus, I need you; with this I can't cope"

A drunkard's not welcome in God's home above
    But Jesus can cleanse you with His precious blood
    So, if you're tired of Ol' Slewfoot and his damning wine
    Just do what God says in First John One Nine

written by Ronald W. Robey (standingfirminChrist)

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is the key...not "the drinker".

3. nate

nate New Member

Are you suggesting drinking will take you to Hell? I think we need to study the Bible a bit more.

4. nate

nate New Member

Lets remember Spurgeon smoked cigars.

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    saved by grace, not by works...

once saved, always saved....

all have sinned...

Christ died for ALL my sins....

all sin is equal in the eyes of God...and it
    is between the man and God as to what constitutes
    a sin.

judge not, lest ye be judged.

6. desertwoman

desertwoman New Member

Hey everyone.

But yes, to do particpate in gluttony with anything, sex, food, drink, sleep, are all evils for it then consumes you and it becomes your god.

Drugs is the god for the druggy for it is all he/she thinks about, alcohol for the the alcoholic becomes his/her god, and so one and so on.

Will I drink in front of someone who is struggling with alcholism, no I wont, just like I won't eat meat in front of a vegaterian. I do it out of respect for my brother and sister and to not cause division while we are together.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about

The Coveteous
    The Railer
    The Glutton
    The Greedy
    The Talebearer
    The Gossip
    The BusyBody

Etc, etc, etc...

It's easy to rail on those sins we don't commit.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."

HankD

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

This is true, nate. However, when Spurgeon saw a billboard advertising the cigars that he smoked--I believe the billboard said, "These are the cigars that Charles Spurgeon smokes" (not sure of the exact quote), he stopped smoking cigars altogether. He didn't want his name associated with smoking cigars.

Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

9. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

The only way these people will quit drinking is if they start loving the Lord more than their sin.

10. standingfirminChrist

Agreed, Shiloh

Amen!

11. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

If it were a sin, I would agree, but since Drinking isn't a sin, and being a Drunkard is.

Me having a drink every now and then doesn't lessen the Love I have for my God.

Jamie

12. standingfirminChrist

Solomon said the fermented drink bites like a serpent and stings like an alcohol. How can one say God allows that?

13. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

StandingFirm,

Explain this passage for me then.

Deu 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Deu 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

Deu 14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

Deu 14:25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:

Deu 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

Deu 14:27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

Jamie

14. standingfirminChrist

Deuteronomy 14 is dealing with festivals and the wine was allowed in moderation at that time. The strong drink then was nothing like that which is produced now. People had to sit at the wine all day in order to get drunk.

These were festivals, they in no way compare with man's excuse to drink wine or alocholic beverage today because one is thirsty, or because one has had a bad day, or any of the many reasons people use to consume alcohol.

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I am sure this is covered already, but this statement is false. 1. If it was that hard to get drunk there would be no need to warn about drunkenness and 2. Wine naturally ferments to a certen percentage. Wine today is no differant then wine then. Grapes are the same and the fermentation process is the same. If you put a fruit based liquid in a warm place you will have wine.

This is a classic argument used by those who want to add there rules to Gods rules. It has no basis and nobody has been able to show any proof of it. Just because you say it does not make it true.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Interesting. Please expand on this idea. I would like to know the reason people of old drank wine at these festivals. They could have drank water, why wine.

I would also like to know why it is impossable for a person today to have the same reason or "excuse", as you put it, to drink wine.

I think this shows a preconceaved idea you have that all people drinking alcohol are doing it to get drunk. Is it not possable for a person today to drink wine because they enjoy the taste of wine.

17. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

"Is it not possable for a person today to drink wine because they enjoy the taste of wine."
    I'm sure it is......doesn't make it right! Maybe I'm confused :confused: why would God tell us drinking booz is wrong in the Bible one place and then condone it in another? I know we are beating a dead horse,however I will still preach against a Christian drinking alcohol no matter how "good" it tastes.

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you give wine to one whose life is bitter and strong drink to one who is dying (Proverbs 31:6-7), or do you disobey the Word of God as proclaimed in these verses?

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

"hy would God tell us drinking booz is wrong in the Bible one place and then condone it in another?"

Where. I see no drunkenes, show me where it says no wine.

20. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Hello, try this...Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. Or,
    Pro 21:17 He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loveth wine and oil shall not be rich. Or,
    Pro 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. Or,
    Isa 5:11 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! OrIsa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. Or Hos 4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.
    Or, Hab 2:5 Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people: [​IMG] I could go on but I'm not going to convince a "christian drinker" with ....Scripture. If you want to drink, go for it. I just wish you people wouldn't use Scripture you twist to make excuses for it. It makes it bad for the Christians who are wanting to serve Christ.