1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Driving 50+ miles to church???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 16, 2018.

1. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro Glen I am all over and agree not they you are looking for an echo. I went to a IBC for the last 10 years plus only to find out after I was ordained, etc. the pastor, his wife are just as crooked as they come hiding behind scripture by others taken out of context- like touch not thine anointed and so on.
    There are very few local churches left who are scripturally sound.
    I am most disappoint with Christian men, elders who are spineless and just accept status quo and listen or do what their wives tell them to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You gotta be kidding

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No kidding.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another fanatic...:Laugh

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably so....

6. elder_jeffery_endicott

did not personally know the brother but I remember looking at an old minute (sometime in the 1970s) from another association. A brother that lived in Detroit Michigan was the pastor of a very small church in Phoenix Arizona. All of the churches in that association met only one weekend a month I am assuming that the brother flew out there once a month.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I grew up in a church that had a similar practice... Though we did have a Pastor he filled appointments at other churches too... We would also have visiting Pastors from other churches from time to time... I met another brother at a meeting one time and he's says, Hey!.. I know you, you are Brother Glen and a member of Elders Bob's church... Well I said that partially true... Elder Bob is the Pastor but it's The Lords Church... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did the churches only meet once a month?

9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the way all the Churches around here used to be. They would meet every week, but the pastor rotated a circuit. Some bi-weekly, some every third week, some every fourth week. Three Or Four preachers covered every Baptist church in the county. The bigger your congregation, the less churches you shared a pastor with. They church I grew up in had a "circuit riding preacher" until the early 1970s.
    Why? $$$$ We were a very poor "Appalachian poverty zone" county.

10. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Locally there are 5 villages sharing within about 5 miles, so each Anglican church has at least one service a month, with the church - the people who worship - go to the different church buildings.

We drive 10 miles through the Golden Valley to an evangelical church in another country - Wales - for consistent ministry & fellowship. They have 2 services, a midweek Prayer & Bible Study & children's activities.

We are attending the local church for special services, & are making friends. The 1,000 year old church building at Peterchurch has -
    Communion on the second Sunday;
    A bistro service on the fourth Sunday - collect tea & cake & sit around the table for reading & meditation;
    Every Wednesday a 9 a.m. time of worship with reading & prayer - average attendance 3;
    Bible study once a month;
    Choir practice (secular) Mondays;
    Lunch served Tuesday - Friday;
    District Library Wednesday - Saturday;
    Exercise & yoga groups every week.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not just probably!

Let me just ask you, my area of the country is gone post Christian meaning that most here have rejected outright the phony Christianity preached in these Sunday gathering sights, I believe furvently that they all have lost the Love of Christ and substituted it with corporate clubs of mostly unbeliers who are not being churched. So you say that you should turn your back on the locals and travel out of the area to satisfy your own selfish desires? If so then how do you address the remnant believers in the local areas ... or do you just write them off?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they serve cucumber sandwiches & and tea?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for bringing this problem to light. Most of my travels were during times of fellowship with locals even though we held opposing beliefs in come topics. And in the long distance bible studies, I always invited others to join me and shared what I'd learned to those interested. So it wasn't spiritual snobbery, just a hunger for more in depth study.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the hunger part, still we are facing a time when people are reducing their own dependence on local assembly ... seemingly in favor of a more 1 to 1 personal relationship with Christ. Even now, in the cancer treatment wards of the hospitals around me, patients no longer embrace corporate religion... they view it as little value (and in its current iteration, I can see their point) and it disheartened me.

So I guess I must be sounding like a broken record, but what can the Church do to revive itself and be the beacon on the hill?

15. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they serve Christ? Serving refreshments is a good way to encourage people to talk and we need to learn the best starting questions for profitable conversations.

At the Gospel church we go to on the Lord's Day, one of the members is very eager to talk - about Israel. She is proud of being born in the year when the nation was born in one day - 1948 - and maintains that Israel is above any international laws. Even that the OT stands complete with the NT. I maintain that prophecy is all leading to Jesus & the Gospel for all nations - all families on earth, through the Seed, Jesus. She gave me a tract with no NT references & only one reference to Jesus/Yeshua. "Followers of Jesus/Yeshua should recognise the land belongs to Israel. Palestinians have no rights there."

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your views. In my experience, I believe televised church broadcasts have left the local churches looking pale in comparison. A Bible Church I attended for a while drove off our pastor for not being enough like Jerry Falwell. He actually walked out of the pulpit one Sunday morning. And with limited budget and corresponding failed replacements, the church closed. Another fired the music minister when he refused to get rid of the traditional hymns and go contemporary. I also quietly left the church over this. But out of curiosity, I returned a year or so later only to catch a kid flying through the air with a tambourine in my peripheral vision. While the band rocked on behind plexiglass sound level barriers....Yikes!

I consider an IFB church my home church and these seem less enthralled by the world. But I feel straightjacketed doctrinally even if loved.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why go then? They are imposing a different doctrine... one you indicated is not scriptural?!? They are not even fundamentally orthodox. I mean, I get the thing about these lax looney tunes , happy happy joy joy gatherings but the ones that are funatically orientated just suppress the HS.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    With me, it is take what you can get and be thankful. I know Arthur Pink threw in the sponge and finished out his years as a hermit. And I can see why. But I think we can meet at the lowest common denominator so long as we don't violate the ecumenical creeds. Trinity, Deity of Christ, etc. And replace Christ with ecclesiastical creeds and institutions.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're saying move in (more like 'slip in') to a church in your proximity and try to change it to fit your dogma? Never mind that it could/would cause division/dissension? Best to do as Icon did and move on to another church.

#39 kyredneck, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I relate, totally! And I agree totally with this:

"... filter out in my mind what I disagree with... I can hear a sermon anytime from my people at the click of a mouse and listen to many a week of the sound doctrine I grew up with, even though not there in body... I fellowship with the Christians at my wife's church and am satisfied with my lot...."

Be content with your station and don't subvert.

• Agree Agree x 2