1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earthquake in Turkey/Kos (Greek Island)

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by liafailrock, Jul 21, 2017.

1. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thing is bigger than I thought. While the death casualties (thank God) were not high, there were many injuries and a lot of destruction not seen for a long time.

Deadly Earthquake Strikes Greece And Turkey

It's funny that Wednesday night I mentioned that in probably less than a day from then that something would happen about a quarter of the way around the world in the northeast direction from where I live (near Philadelphia Pa). I was hoping I was wrong. But I could not post a "hunch" (an ominous feeling) in the news section here because it did not happen yet. Sad to say I hit it 100% this time. One other thing -- that hunch is not gone yet. Maybe things will be happening in that region so keep your eyes open.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, the earthquake in Greece is not "in the northeast direction from" Philadelphia. It is nearly due east. So you hunch is either incorrect, or you are misidentifying the event. Northeast from your area is New England, Canada's Maritime Provinces, Iceland, and (if we're being generous) Norway/Sweden/Finland.

Without having a hunch, I can state that "something" is going to happen south-southeast of me within the next day or two, and then I can simply scan stories in the news regarding Mexico, Central America, and South America and pick out what event I have predicted. Or better yet, I can claim "something" will happen "to the east" of me and I have the most populated section of the globe (includes Northern Africa, the Middle East, India and China!) working on my behalf.

Seriously, I don't think you are trying to put something over on us, but take a moment and think about the consequences of making predictions based on hunches. Sometimes the Lord will tell us things so that we can prepare for and do ministry, but it highly unlikely that God wants to tell you things for elevate your standing in front of others. So if you have a certain word of the Lord (specific enough to act upon) that needs to be communicated to others, then by all means, let's hear it. But if you have vague hunches about "something," that seems to be a matter best left to prayer and the confidence of a few people to whom you are accountable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I was not trying to make it look like I was predicting anything. On my other thread I said I was hoping I was wrong, but it was one of those ominous feelings I get and a way to vent. Sometimes they are wrong, but other times they may be right. The point is to watch prophetic events. And if you do have hunches, then say something. They may be of interest.

And also with all due respect, Greece is in the northeast direction from Philadelphia, as is Britain, France, Middle east, Saudi Arabia and even parts of the Indian ocean south of the equator are all on the same basic line with the east coast of the US. A straight line is the shortest distance and true direction between two points (great circle arc on earth), so a plane taking off to fly directly there would be facing northeast if they want to take the shortest and true direction. I think you are thinking of a Mercator map, which distorts true distances and directions. Remember that the earth is round.

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Philly is 39 degrees North, Kos 36 degrees North. Therefore Kos is further South than Philly and cannot by any stretch of the imagination be said to be 'North-East'

5. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matt, it is a more southern latitude, but it's possible that the shortest distance (great circle arc) and true direction is more northward. If you and everyone else so doubts me, then plot two points on a google map to get distance and see the path it gives. You are confusing latitude-longitude location (which is relative to polar axis) vs one's local azimuth. If everyone shouted loud enough from the earthquake in fear that we could hear it in Philadelphia, the sound would be coming from the northeast. A Mercator map does not give true direction which I believe is what you and others have in mind. This is something I can also calculate, but google makes it easy. This is a mathematical fact and nonnegotiable.