1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Easter in Tyndale's Bible Before KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Hark, Mar 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    99% of English users, especially those who've learned it as a 2nd language, don't understand archaic English very well.
    Here's a little example: I had a dr. from Korea move in not far from me. He had learned schoolbook English, & had mastered written English pretty well. He was a new Christian & he asked me if I could lend him a Bible til his Korean edition arrived. Without thinking, I handed him a KJV.
    A coupla days later, he called me, a little upset. He'd come across "Suffer little children" in Matt. 19:14 & thought 'suffer' meant to be in pain or under duress. I explained the archaic meaning of 'suffer' as 'allow or permit' for 'suffer' & brought him an NASV to use. (Another thing he wondered about was 'target', which then meant a small shield.)
    There's simply no more good reason to teach from the KJV than there is to drive a Model T daily.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the scorn you regularly heap upon the KJV here on the BB, I am shocked beyond belief that you would ever hand anyone a KJV Bible, with or without thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I picked this book up years ago. I find it very interesting. Sometimes it is frustrating too. For example, on this topic, I looked for the annotations on John 11:55 (where Easter is used twice in the Bishops' Bible) -- only to find that the annotations for the Gospel of John are only for chapters 17-21.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One good reason is that modern Bibles has changed the message that supports false teachings & false spirits whereas I find I can rely only on the KJV to expose & reproves all the works of darkness that all modern Bibles cannot do, but sow doubts in His words within whatever modern Bible version that those in error are using.

Even when they try to use the KJV, and when He proves them wrong thru me with the KJV in rightly dividing the word of truth, then they go to another Bible version which has changed the message that actually supports their false teachings and sows doubts in the KJV and not just in that other Bible version they are using.

So the "Model T" is reliable because it is the truth, but only God can cause the increase in understanding & applying His words in our lives to live by faith in Jesus Christ as our own personal Good Shepherd as we can only live this reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ..

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I DO study the KJV; I just don't teach nor witness from it. My actual scorn is for the KJVO MYTH. However, it's necessary to expose the faults of the KJV to help debunk the myth.

#85 robycop3, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because your thralldom to the false KJVO myth has clouded your thinking & warped your judgment. Many of the changes between old & new versions are based upon better, more-precise translation. nYou've devoted a lot of posts trying to rebel against one; the rendering of passover instead of Easter in Acts 12:4 when passover is clearly the CORRECT translation.

OK, sir, please be so kind as to point out any false teaching(at least in your mind) that I have set forth from a modern Bible version.

And He has made His word available in OUR language, just as He did for the British in 1560 & earlier.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are NO changes for doctrines and practices in the Nas/Esv/Nkjv etc!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The common KJVO response is that if one holds to ANY mistakes in the Kjv, they must hate the Kjv!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His same reasoning was what they were stating among those who held to the Vulgate /Geneva as being better then the new upstart Kjv !

10. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as you are ignoring that Easter is same as Passover originally when translated in scripture in the English.

The 2 examples of Romans 8:26 & 1 Corinthians 1:18 has been shown numerous times to you before. Are you going to pay attention now?

Not all Bibles are saying the same thing in order to reprove false teachings.

Romans 8:26 has some testifying to the Holy Spirit uttering groans whereas some do not have Him uttering groans for why some tongue speakers use that to support tongues for private use.

1 Corinthians 1:18 has some Bibles saying "being saved" from others & the KJV that say "are saved" where those in err use "being saved" to support the false teaching that they are not saved yet but in the process of being saved.

There are others, but those 2 I have given examples to you, but you seem to either forget them or just keep ignoring that just contention for why I rely only on the KJV..

Doing the elimination rounds with His help in seeing the KJV keeps the meat of His words to discern good & evil by His words , I find I can rely only on the KJV.

Keeping the faith is the good fight; & I find I rely on the KJV only to do that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a false teaching that believers are not saved yet but in the process of being saved. I find I can only rely on the KJV to do that. Below are your claim for the NASB, ESV, & NKJV, & even included the NIV for why I would have trouble using those versions to correct those that believe in error that they are not saved yet but in the process of being saved.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. KJV

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. NASB

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. ESV

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. NKJV

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. NIV

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what evidence I have of your interaction with the KJV here on the Baptist Board, my first thought is that you study it to find fault with it. (And what I see here is all the evidence I have of your position.) Further, your rhetoric and declamation suggest that you exhibit hate toward the KJV (even if you do not mean to) as well as KJVO. If not, why not speak in respectful terms towards translational decisions with which you disagree, rather than ranting about boo-boos and goofs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to quote anyone on that point? Or are you just stating an opinion here?

I would say that anyone that holds to what they call a mistake in the KJV, are not really discerning the KJV with Him at all, because it is not a mistake when the message has not changed at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not any more. It shouldn't be read that way now.

The NKJV, NASV, NIV, & ESV all say He utters groans in that verse. Not too concerned with other versions.

I have explained why that supposition is bunk. Not all of Paul's readership was saved at the same time. As time passed, more & more were being saved each day. You need a new excuse.

That's because you're in thrall to the KJVO myth, whose current edition is derived from a CULT OFFICIAL'S book by two DISHONEST authors, one of whom legally plagiarized the cult official's book, & the other who copied a good bit from the cult official, & the following author, while making sure not to mention the first author's cult affiliation. God does NOT poerate that way!

If you wish to use the KJV, fine, but you're in serious error if you say the KJV is the ONLY valid English Bible version. Satan came up with that notion to cause strife & dissension within & between congregations. If you believe the KJVO myth, you're believing an invention of Satan's!

15. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @atpollard Attention; here is one that sees uttering groans in those versions whereas you seem not to see it as meaning that.

Then you should be concern by whatever Bible versions you are using, because John 16:13 in your Bible versions says the Holy Spirit cannot speak from Himself but speaks only what He hears as the truth you will find in ALL Bible versions so He cannot even utter groans, brother. That is the truth & you would be remiss because you cannot reprove tongue speakers from your Bible versions that believes tongues can be gibberish nonsense and why it is for private use when it is not..

Not when Paul is also referring to himself also as "us are being saved" in your Bible versions. Try correcting those that believe they are in the process of being saved when you PUT Paul as one of them still in the process of being saved.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. KJV

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. NIV

If you sill do not see the difference, then I cannot help you. I just know you will have a hard time correcting those astray by your Bible versions.

16. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, sir. This is a "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" type of gnat-straining argument. It is obvious that the Holy Spirit CAN speak. You are getting your panties in a bunch over whether any of the words of the Holy Spirit originate from the Holy Spirit, or if all of the words originate from another member of the Godhead. I am a trinitarian who looses ZERO sleep concerning myself over the internal one Godness of the three "persons" in the Triune Godhead. I accept the Athanatian Creed as a fair explanation of the explainable and leave the details to God.

With respect to "tongue speakers", I would prefer to refute what is unbiblical based on all of the biblical teaching on "tongues" rather than some obscure hypothesis drawn from an archaic English translation. It is enough that even modern "glossolalia" is not "wordless groaning", so this verse does not apply to what they are doing. I don't need the KJV to refute eisegesis ... either theirs or yours.

The bible clearly says the Holy Spirit CAN speak, so you cannot claim that the Holy Spirit CANNOT speak.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have been saved, and are still in the process of being made into image of Christ!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJVO see the mistakes, but cannot accept that, or e;se their doctrine of perfection goes up in smoke!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Supreme irony is that the1611 Kjv Translators would NOT be among the KJVO crowd!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit has a Mind and is God Himself, you really need to quit nearly blasphemy Him by making out to be just a lackey or flunky!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.