1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eastern Orthodox Lecturer at SBTS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://news.sbts.edu/2017/02/02/dreher-deliver-southern-seminarys-gheens-lectures-feb-7-8/
    What a treat for 'spiritual formation' enthusiasts there:

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any stir over this, or is this "ho hum" news for most observers?

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On his blog, the Eastern Orthodox lecturer at SBTS was questioned how the Baptist seminarians were receiving his teaching:

"Question: you had the Reformation...as one of the main drivers of our current condition. How was that received at a Protestant seminary, and did you get any pushback?"

Dreher replied:

"I suppose I’ll find out at the Q&A tomorrow. The point I tried delicately to make was simply that the Reformation’s fracturing of religious unity in Europe is a historical fact."

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. Several interesting comments on his blog.

I was thinking more, though, not of how he would be/was received by the students and facility, but more whether there is any discord from Southern Baptists about an Eastern Orthodox lecturer at a Southern Baptist Seminary.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not a lot of people even know of it.

He's an interesting guy, and his worldview — not his theology — fits pretty well with conservative evangelicals. He's been a firm supporter of the Washington (and Southern Baptist) florist sued because she would not provide flowers for a same-sex wedding.

His thesis, which transcends denominations, is that orthodox Christians have essentially lost the culture war and should be prepared to be a minority religion and learn to cope without the support of the wider society that it enjoyed at one time.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He wasn't advertised as such, but here is what he was teaching them:

"we're going to have to do a lot more work to keep our eyes focused on God, the God who is love and who desires the salvation of all sinners."

"chronic anxiety did not begin to recede in my own mind until my priest ordered me to take up a daily Rule of contemplative prayer. This an Orthodox Christian's, its called a Prayer Rope, [he shows the one he is wearing] it's an ancient Discipline where on each bead you just say 'Lord Jesus Christ Son of the Living God have mercy on me a sinner.' But the way you do it is you have to steel your own mind, and that's incredibly difficut to do at first. But the idea is you've got to make that place in your mind for the Holy Spirit to act in your own heart."

"he gave me about an hour's worth of prayer to do, contemplative prayer, every day. It was harder than climbing up a mountain. But it eventually, over time, I've stuck with that Discipline, and that practice opened up a beachhead of stillness within my own heart, in which the Holy Spirit could work, pour in there, and to calm the stormy waters within."

"Ritual fasting is still observed with strictness by many Orthodox Christians as well as some Catholic monks....The Eastern Orthodox priest Father Schmemann wrires, 'When a man leaves on a journey he must know where he is going.' Father Schmemann wrote that in the first line of a famous book he wrote about Lent, the penitential season before Easter. It speaks to why all serious believers must engage in periods of fasting, of asceticism."

"When we abstain from practices that disorder our loves, and in that time of fasting redouble our contemplation of God, and of the good things he's given us, the blessings of Creation, especially in our love for other people, we recenter our minds on the inner stability we need to create a coherent meaningful self."

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Q&A

"Q: You mentioned that churches should be oases of stillness. What are some practical ways that you think that we can cultivate that in our churches?"

"Dreher: ...Look to other traditions and see how they do it....Catholics have what they call Eucharistic Adoration, they believe that Christ is really present in the bread, and sometimes in their parishes they'll have people come in just very quietly and sit there with the Eucharist exposed on the Altar and just pray quietly....in the Orthodox Church we do have things like the Prayer Discipline I was telling you about. Just very quietly praying 'Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me a sinner.' Things like that, and done in church with quietness, stillness, with candles there, give it a reverent atmosphere. These things can all work, or have small prayer groups where you do that, Contemplative Prayer. The Benedictines have a wonderful tradition called Lectio Divina...things like that. Look back in the history of, the long history of Christian Devotions, devotional practices, and find some things that work."

"Sometimes God wants to come to us, does come to us as a still small voice. If we're not prepared to dwell in stillness and quiet and listen for that still small voice we may never hear it."

"The Jesus Prayer, I think that's something any evangelical Christian could do...it goes back to the Desert Fathers of the Early Church. So look it up online, these Prayer Ropes are knotted by monks, they're called chotki, C-H-O-T-K-I, you can find them online, it's just a great discipline. [takes off and fiddles with the one he's wearing] I find when I'm driving down the road, I don't want to hear the radio, I'll just very quietly just say my Prayer Rope, 'Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me' sometimes a shortened form, and it's a way to get into a really meditative state of mind."

"The monks in Norcia...they know that I was Catholic, but now I'm Orthodox and when I got ready to leave there after my last trip over there, one of the monks pulls his Prayer Rope out of his cassock and says 'Keep praying that thing.' He had the same kind that I did, 'Keep praying that thing,' I said 'I will, Brother.' It's one Devotion that can bring all Christians together."

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless they happened to catch the livestream, they probably have no idea what he was pushing in that last lecture (see above).
    Recordings have yet to be posted on SBTS's website; there is a recording on SBTS's youtube, but it has a notice with a padlock saying "this video is unlisted". Weird.

9. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Pathetic!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Eastern Orthodox lecturer, who was also featured on Albert Mohler's podcast, posted an email from one of his new devotees who was upset after not being able to convince his church to get with the program:

Church Rejects Benedict

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have any Southern Baptists been invited to lecture at Eastern 'Orthodox' seminaries?

I thought not. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you say that?

Maurice Robinson of SEBTS spoke at a Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary convocation a while back:

[​IMG]

13. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :oops: I take it all back.

• Like Like x 1
  14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Robinson interacts with Orthodox folk strictly in the arena of textual criticism. He does not support the doctrines of Russian orthodoxy, and at that convocation even paraphrased Paul, wishing to them that they were all Baptist. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he was asked in the Q&A, why the difference if we all have the same Bible? His answer, hermeneutics:

“If we all had the same hermeneutics, all of you would be Baptists today, or I would be Orthodox."

16. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listened to all four of his lectures. I would rather do that than to buy and read the book. I have too many other books and writing projects to do so just now. Anyway the book has made the NYTimes best seller list a friend informed me. Good stuff. You might want to go to SBTS's web page and give a listen.

rd

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your opinion of his position is?

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rod Dreher on Twitter

[​IMG]

19. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not want to get a whole "End Times" thing going. I suggest you either read the book or listen to the addresses and come to your own opinion. I do not mean for my answer to sound snarky as it may be when read. That is not my intent.

rd

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what should we now think about Hank Hanegraaf (the Bible Answer Man) and his Palm Sunday conversion to Greek Orthodoxy?