1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ed Young Jr on the warpath

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Jun 27, 2012.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Yes I have posted about Young before for his pragmatic seeker sensative approach. Remember his challenge to his congregation to have sec for so many days straight?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow what a clown!:laugh:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Here is what I think. First he is just not my idea of a pastor for me, I suppose because of his style and other beliefs.
    Mat 12:30
    He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

I agree with election and freewill/choice as both are taught in scripture. I disagree with him on taking the time to attack ultra/hyper Calvinism in the manner he did, but I would disagree with any pastor who took the same time to promote ultra/hyper Calvinism in the same manner. Just teach the word and forget about the rest.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That will never take place. Young,despite his claims to advanced scholarship has nary a clue.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

Contrary to popular Calvinist claims Calvinists are not the smartest people in the room. You guys really need to get over yourselves.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,White doesn't condemn Calvinists. Yes,he is a Calvinist,i.e. Reformed. boy,you're up on all the oldest news.

BTW,he does on occasion debate Calvinists on the issue of baptism for instance with Doug Wilson.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know who Ed Young is, so I come to watch the video without a bias. I know what he is trying to say but he is woefully failing at it. He has kind of a smarmy, condescending style that rubs me the wrong way. While I agree with many of his points, he does not make a compelling argument with facts, scripture, or data, rather he makes points based on personal anecdotes and observation.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I thought.

Other than that you have him pegged:

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than what, have I pegged Ed Young Jr.?

#29 Rippon, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Just to clarify for any who are following this line of responses

Jerome is either unintentionally or intentionally taking Rippon's remarks that he (rippon) meant about Young, and is applying them to White. Rippon is criticizing Ed Young, and complimenting James White. (Rippon should have inserted Young's name in his second paragraph to make it clear he had shifted from speaking about "james."

That's all. :)

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your clarification 12strings.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, so Rip's saying it's Young that's comical, outrageous, not to be taken seriously, confused about what hypercalvinism is, uses strawmen, etc.?

13. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

WOW!! Yup! :thumbsup::wavey: I need to learn to be succinct and precise like this....this about sums it up. I can actually appreciate Young's contentions here...but he is quite possibly the worst messenger on planet Earth to make them LOL :laugh:

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet you want to be taken seriously Jerome?!

15. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

While TECHNICALLY this is an informally fallacious argument....I simply cannot bring myself to disagree with it. Ughh....Osteen...really???? No, not helpful. It is not possible to:

1.) posses THAT many teeth

and simultaneously

2.) be a man of God

Just can't happen like that.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does any non-Calvinist here like what Ed Young Jr. stands for? Would any respect him as a pastor/teacher?

17. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

So, he has made one very insignifigant mistake....basically, that of mis-reading an unintelligible post: (I personally had to read it 4 or more times to understand it, and then compare it to a later post of yours in order to understand your grammatically abyssmal post). I do not doubt 12 strings also labored similarly, and has been gracious enough to clarify your meaning for us, as you never did.

I have learned to take him quite seriously....since I have joined this board (not long ago) I have found that he RARELY states an opinion....and when he is ACTUALLY foolish enough to choose to, I find that it has been well thought out, even if I disagree with it. Usually, he simply ADDS TO the available information on a topic by laboriously finding and posting helpful and germaine links which help shed light on many of the things we debate here:

While simultaneously saying quite little....(I have little or no idea what he believes about almost ANYTHING).....he cooly and calmly adds to our discussions with poignant, signifigant and often quite educational links.

Whilst confrontational "know-it-alls" such as myself find this oddly infuriating....he may be one of the wisest and most valuable posters on this board. BACK OFF!!!!

While he may have: "...kept his mouth shut and allowed people to think he were a fool"....I personally, and even others on this thread have "opened our mouths and PROVED it."

#37 HeirofSalvation, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm non-Cal but don't know anything about Ed Young Jr., except for what I viewed in the video clip. Based on that scant evidence, no, I would not respect him as a pastor/teacher.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

He would be taken more seriously if instead of an angry rant he actually made a biblical case against Calvinism. :rolleyes:

If I had been sitting in the pew and knew nothing of Calvinism, I wouldn't have a clue why he was so mad.

20. Ed B

Ed B Member

I would also be wondering how large the box must be. :)