1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Election"

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin do you think that those that have faith in a stone idol to save them are saved?

It is because of our faith in His son that God saves us. God saves us not our faith.
    That seems to be such a hard concept for you to grasp.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?

Hearing the Gospel
    Believing the Gospel
    Calling on Christ Jesus
    Salvation by the Grace of God
    Romans 10:14-15

Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

These are verses that continue to deny.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All throughout our opposing views of soteriology is that you believe you have the power within yourself to perform some act or some thought or some speech that leads to salvation. I believe that it God Who provides the power to perform some act or some thought or some speech. The apostle Paul disagrees with you:

1 Corinthians 1:5 that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

So, sir, if you are a man, you are in error to stand in your wisdom instead of the in the power of God.

I have faith, but I make no claim that I have this faith because I did it by my power. I confess that Christ is the Lord my Righteousness, but I do not confess because I welled up the power within myself to do so.

You trust in your power, Silverhair. I trust in God's power.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God:
    for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    do you believe this?

5. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Romans 10:9

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
    &c.] That is, if a man shall make a good, sincere, and hearty confession to God, before the church and people of God, and before the world, that Christ is his Lord and Saviour, whom he desires to serve, and to be saved by; and this as
    arising from a comfortable experience of the grace of God
    in his soul, and from a true faith in Christ in his heart,

wherefore it follows,

and shall believe in thine heart, that God hath raised him from the
    dead, thou shalt be saved
    ;
    for this article of Christ's resurrection includes the several other articles of faith: it supposes his death, and that supposes his life, and the obedience of it; and his life implies his being here on earth, and that his coming down from heaven to do the will of his Father; and this is the rather mentioned, which is here ascribed to God the Father, though not to the exclusion of the Son and Spirit, because that Christ is risen again for our justification, with which true faith is principally concerned; for such a faith is intended, not which lies in a mere assent to the truth of this, or any other article of the Christian religion; but which is concerned with Christ for righteousness, life, and glory; and with such a faith salvation is certainly and inseparably connected.

Romans 10:10

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness
    The apostle here explains the nature and use both of faith and confession; as true faith does not lie in the bare assent of the mind to the Gospel, or any truth contained in it, respecting the person and office of Christ, so neither does it lie, as not in the brain, so not in the tongue, but in the heart; it is not a notional knowledge of things to be believed; nor is it saying that a man believes; but it is heart work, a believing with all the heart; such a faith in which all the powers of the soul, the understanding, will, and affections, are concerned, it is a seeing of the Son, a beholding of the glory, fulness, suitableness, ability, and willingness of Christ as a Saviour, with the eye of the understanding spiritually enlightened; it is a going out of the soul to Christ, in various acts, such as venturing into his presence, prostrating itself at his feet, resolving if it perishes it will perish there; a giving up itself unto him, determining it will have no other Saviour, leaning and relying on him, and living upon him; which faith works by love to Christ, moves the affections, stirs up the desires of the soul to his name, and endears him and all that belong to him to it. The use of this grace is, "unto righteousness"; it is not instead of one, for faith is not our righteousness; nor is it in order to work out one, for this grace puts a soul on renouncing its own righteousness; but its use is to receive one, even the righteousness of Christ, which when it spies, it admires, receives, lays hold on, and rejoices in looking on itself as righteous through this righteousness, and so has peace with God through Christ:

and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
    This is to be understood not of confession of sin, though that is proper and requisite to be made, both with respect to the participation, and enjoyment of salvation, particularly pardoning grace and mercy, and to an admission to Gospel ordinances; but of confession of Christ, as appears from the preceding verse, which lies in a frank and open acknowledgment of what Christ is in himself, as that he is truly and properly God, the Son of God, the true Messiah, the Mediator between God and man, and the only Saviour of lost sinners, and of our faith in him, with respect to ourselves, to our pardon, justification, acceptance and salvation in him and through him; in ascribing the whole of our salvation to him, and giving him the glory of it; in declaring to the churches of Christ what he has done for our souls, and in subjecting ourselves to his ordinances. This confession must be made both by words and facts, must be open, visible, and before men; and also real, hearty, and sincere, the words of the mouth agreeing with the experience of the heart; and such a good profession made before God, angels, and men, highly becomes all that believe with the heart. This was the practice of the primitive saints; yea, all nations own, acknowledge, and profess the God they worship; and should not we confess our God, Saviour and Redeemer? Christ himself confessed a good confession before Pontius Pilate, and is the Apostle and High Priest of our profession. So to do, makes both for the glory of God, and for our own real good and advantage. Yea, it is "unto salvation"; not as a cause of it,
    Christ alone is the author of eternal salvation but a sincere and well made confession of Christ points out to all that know us where and from whom we expect to have salvation; it is what lies in the way, and is to be taken up by all that believe in Christ, and to be held fast without wavering until we receive the end of our faith, even the salvation of our souls.

#27 Alan Gross, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How in the world can you say, "he hath chosen us" is not about election? Let me break it down for you:

He - God
    Hath - Past action
    Chosen - Made a choice
    Us - People

Thus we have: God in the past made a choice of people.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9:16 King James Version -

"So then it is not of him that willeth,
    nor of him that runneth,
    but of God that showeth mercy."

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That word used in Ephesians 1:4 is not the word translated elect as in Colossians 3:12 or Matthew 24;31. That word is used in 23 verses. And translated as "elect" in 16 of those verses.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To choose or select and to elect mean the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You avoided my question. Let me try again, with the hopes that you answer directly.

Who is given the gift of faith, Silverhair? Is everyone given the gift of faith?

If, as you say, "faith doesn't save anyone" and God only saves those that have faith in Jesus, how did that person receive faith in Jesus so that God could then choose to save them...even though faith doesn't save anyone?

14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me how I deny verses.
    Be honest, I openly reject your theology because it is humanistic through and through. This is by no means denying scripture. Yet, you foolishly think by rejecting your twisted theology that equates to rejecting scripture. Silverhair, just stop your false statement.

I have explained these verses to you on numerous occasions, showing you, from the whole of scripture, how these verses fit with all that God has said. You simply will not hear of interpreting scripture with all of scripture. In fact, context is your enemy,which is why you avoid context and focus on a sentence.

Here's a sentence with no context. It's how you roll.

And he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.”

No context. What does it literally say. Do you believe it?

Silverhair, you remind me of how Atheists and Muslims interpret scripture without context.

15. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are going to quote scripture then at least understand what the text is saying. Paul is just telling the Corinthians not to trust in his speech but to trust in the power of God for salvation.
    1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
    1Co 2:5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

And you still ignore all the texts that tell us to trust in the Son for salvation. Like Ephesians 1:13; Romans 10:9-10; 1 Timothy 4:10; John 3:36.

How many times must you be told God saves and He has chosen to save those that believe in His son.

If you think that God gave you the faith to believe in His son then you are misunderstanding the bible.

16. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is how you see it but it seems you are overlooking all the I wills.

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO and you still ignored the post. Can't provide a biblical answer that supports your errant view?

18. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    To make this simple for you. You are just being stupid. You say that scripture is humanistic, you are being a fool.

You have not explained anything except your warped view of scripture that does not even come close to what the text says. Your arrogance is really over the top. You actually are the perfect example of the Calvinist arrogant, prideful, and totally lacking in understanding of scripture.

I wonder how many seekers after listening to a Calvinist turn away from God because Calvinist make Him sound like a moral monster who picks most people to burn in hell just to give Him glory. Calvinism destroys the character of God and then the Calvinist pats themselves on the back and thinks I must be special because God pick me. Self delusion of the worst kind.

#38 Silverhair, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  19. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silverhair, you are not scripture. You are Silverhair. I say that your theology is humanistic. Do you grasp the difference. Is this too hard for you to comprehend?

You consider my theology warped. This is because you view the Bible from the perspective of a humanist, while I view the Bible from the perspective of a monergists. I place Supremacy in God. You emphasize man as synergistic with God.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. One occurred before the creation of mankind, Ephesians 1:4. The other takes place in time for the one elected, Matthew 22:14.