1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Election"

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Aug 19, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidently, you have no way to answer what Bill Parker wrote. All you did is throw in a personal insult.

#81 KenH, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The free willer puts the cart before the horse, imagining that man causes God...

"But God..."

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will add that in addition to justification from eternity, one can also hold to justification at the time of the cross or justification at the time God-given saving faith without damaging the Biblical view of soteriology.

I prefer justification from eternity as once God chose His elect before the world began, there was no chance whatsoever that He would fail to bring them to spend eternity with Him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question for you is, why would you think that I would entertain a non-biblical idea. We are not justified in eternity past. As for an insult, your the one that put him up as some authority rather than the bible.

5. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather the bible before your philosophy.

6. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    There in lays your problem Ken. You have misread the bible and so your theology is wrong.

7. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is one of the clearest explanations of predestination that I've ever read. Thank you for including the PDF, and thank Brother Parker for me.

8. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the freedom to join in. I've encountered some who were offended when I "butted in" to a discussion, so I try to make sure it's okay with the other participants.

My point with the passages from John and 1 John was to show that we are Christians before we are Calvinists, Armenians, etc. This was to answer your comment that the Calvinist has to "hope that God picked us as we have zero way of knowing that He did". Regarding whether we are saved before the foundation of the world, I believe what Brother @KenH posted from his friend Brother Bill Parker. Parker's last paragraph is especially enlightening - especially "eternal justification does not mean that God’s elect “have always been saved” in the sense of never having been lost in their sins".

This is not trusting a man's view over Scripture, but trusting one view over another. Scripture is the final authority, but we disagree over interpretation. As Joseph Bianchi wrote in "God Chose to Save", "The nexus of the issue is God's control of the universe. Will things take place in the span of time and space that God cannot control? Should we believe that God chooses not to control certain things? If we say yes to either of these statements we run the risk of believing in a 'god' who is not fully in control, and who allows creatures to take the helm."

Ephesians 1:4-5 is straightforward as to the meaning. In one sense we are saved "in time", in that one day I was lost in my sins and the next day I am saved. This is not just about foreknowledge, but according to God's will and purpose.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be happy to do so, but, if you want to, you can contact him yourself at [email protected]. I am sure he would enjoy hearing from you. The website for lots of articles and videos is www.rofgrace.com. Also, his three weekly sermons/lessons are uploaded to SermonAudio at Eager Avenue Grace Church | SermonAudio. Bill Parker is an excellent expositor of the gospel of Christ. He comes to the church I attend to preach at the yearly Bible Conference, so I had the opportunity to hear him in person in May as well as to enjoy a couple of meals with him. Also, I like bluegrass music and in his younger days he was in a bluegrass band. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you still can't provide any valid Biblical arguments against the gospel of salvation by God's sovereign grace through the finished work of Christ Jesus.

If you can't defend your position Biblically, then you really should drop the position, Silverhair.

11. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great theology and bluegrass to boot. It just doesn't get any better.:Thumbsup I've bookmarked that website as well. Thanks for sharing.

#91 Lodic, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I provide an argument against what you just posted as that is biblical. My arguments is against Calvinism and the way that it distorts the bible.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you don't post any Biblical arguments against the stuff you rail against. I guess you just want to spew slurs and that's all you've got to offer. I am really starting to wonder if you are Biblically illiterate. If so, that is a fixable issue as you can read the Bible from cover to cover as a good start.

#93 KenH, Aug 23, 2022
  14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, this is where you and I part company.. The elect were elect in His sight before the world began, but not justified.. Isaiah 12:1. 'And in that day, you will say, "O LORD, I will praise You; though you were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, and You comfort me."'
    'That day' is obviously the day of our Lord Jesus Christ (11:1, 10). We remain under God's judicial wrath until such time as He saves us through the preaching of the word (1 Corinthians 1:21) and the New Birth (Titus 3:4-7).

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I wrote in post #83 there are three positions on the timing of justification and I don't have an issue with any of three, just a preference.

16. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thtt is fair comment. However, if I may give my reasons for my preference, it is that Justification from Eternity seems to do away with preaching. Why would we bid people to repent and believe if they are already justified? 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.' Not, 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ because you have already been saved.'

#96 Martin Marprelate, Aug 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    That just shows me that you really do read what I post. I have made a number of arguments against your theology. You just do not like what the bible says so you ignore the scriptures that I post.

You deny what the bible says and then claim that no one understands your Calvinism or whatever you want to call your view. What it is is not biblical.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election happened way back in eternity, calling happens in time. God is not bound by time. We humans are bound by time. Even God's elect are still born spiritually dead, just like the reprobates, and have to be spiritually born again. In their earthly, time-bound existence, the elect are not born "saved" but they will be saved before they leave this earth and go into eternity.

Bill Parker does a good job of explaining eternal justification in his small book that I linked to earlier in this thread.

• Agree Agree x 2