1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elie Wiesel was a witness to evil and a symbol of endurance

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The frail, dapper man who sometimes greeted reporters in his Madison Avenue office spoke in an almost hushed voice, but with urgency, his hands gesturing gently for emphasis. Elie Wiesel’s smile was wry, diffident, a thin facade over the sadness imprinted in the weary eyes and deep creases of a face that mirrored his brutal past.

The Auschwitz survivor and Nobel Peace Prize winner, who has died at age 87, was an ongoing reminder of one man’s endurance of the Nazi Holocaust. His words, destined to last far into the future, are a testament to some of the most unfathomable atrocities in recorded history.

“Whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation, take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented,” he said in 1986, upon accepting the Nobel.

Wiesel’s death was announced Saturday by Israel’s Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial. No other details were immediately available.

[​IMG]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...0fce4a-40dd-11e6-9e16-4cf01a41decb_story.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He came to my daughter's high school and my daughter met him. She said he was a wonderful man and she really liked him. Three of my kids have read his book Night and even my 15 year old son was so upset when I told him. I do pray that he knew Jesus as his Messiah and that someday I will be able to meet him too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need to read his book, Night, again. I read it several years ago. Wiesel's influence will extend into the future.