1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Entertaining Angels Unaware

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tyndale1946, Nov 6, 2022.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.
    Ephesians 2:1-10 is very clear that salvation is by grace alone. Sanctification is an effect of our salvation. It is the process that brings us to being glorified in Christ.

*Romans 8:28-39*
    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God is clear on this matter. What your church is teaching goes against the tradition of the Apostles.

2. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you think for yourself, instead of copying and pasting from your RCC response card?

First, I am not teaching OSAS, as the proponents of that specific theory teach it. So, you're already down the wrong track.
    Second, address the teaching of the Apostles Paul, whose tradition we are looking at, which clearly states that we are saved by grace alone. We then are justified by faith. This faith works in us, by the Holy Spirit, to sanctify us over our lifetime. Upon our death (or Christ's imminent return),we are glorified in the presence of our King.

Cathode, that is the tradition of the Apostles and God's holy word.

You are throwing God and His word, taught by the Apostles, out of your life and are clinging to something that was created after the Apostles and deviates from Apostolic tradition.

It's time you put down your RCC catechism and picked up your Bible. Until then, you have nothing of spiritual value to add to this conversation.

3. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Faith without works is dead, because Faith without Love is dead.

You can have Faith to move mountains, but if you don’t have Love, you amount to nothing.

There’s no Salvation without Love.

You need the grace of Faith to first believe, but you need to receive the ongoing daily grace to Love and forgive others.

Rock solid belief in Jesus is the outgrowth of Faith, good works are an outgrowth of Love. Both are by Grace.

That’s why Jesus judges dudes by their Love or lack of it.

“When I was hungry, you gave me nothing to eat.”

That’s why in street ministry Jesus Loves through us by Grace, we can’t Love like He does, the problems are too big for us, but those things He does through us are His works. Those works have real merit, they aren’t garbage.

These aren’t merely human works, these are Jesus works of Love done through us by Grace.

We must cooperate with the ongoing daily grace, fill up from the source like the angels do. Our source is the daily bread from The Eternal Father.

Like most Protestants, you got the whole Faith thing down, but you need to a lot of work understanding on the Love side of things.

I’ve seen the face of suffering Jesus on a drug addict, it was shocking.

Jesus is in a mysterious way the least of these, what we do for them, we do for Jesus.
    It’s Jesus in us ministering to the suffering Jesus in them.

That impulse, “call of Love” we named it, to go out is the grace to let Jesus do the works of Love.

Don’t ignore that Grace, cooperate with it.

People have said ‘ When you held me, it felt like Jesus was holding me ‘ . That’s because it was Jesus holding them.

Don’t confuse human works and Jesus works of Love.

“I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit “

The fruit is the Love and mercy.

#63 Cathode, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  4. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don’t know mate, I’m not that educated and don’t have technical words to explain it properly. I’m a gardener, and I’m not even a good one. I tell my customers all the time that I’m not the best gardener in the world, but that I need the money type of thing.

But I feel fired up to at least to try to explain things as I see it. People can’t say I don’t have convictions.

#64 Cathode, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith is a gracious gift from God to the redeemed. This faith does the works God ordained for the redeemed to do. (Ephesians 2:10)
    If you aren't graciously saved, you will only do works out of selfish ambition. If you are graciously saved, you will do good works because God ordained that you do them. Faith works. Faith works to glorify God, not to prove to God that the person is worthy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I’m not seeing any mention of Love here dude.

Good works is the outgrowth of Love, that’s the fruit we bear as branches of the Vine.
    Yes it’s great that we are in Him by Faith, but He must be in us by Love.

“ The one who remains in Me and I in him, will bear much fruit “

It’s Faith and Love together that bears the fruit dude. Not faith alone.

Faith without Love is like the clashing of cymbals, it’s lip service but with a heart far away.

The daily bread is given us to expand our hearts, so we can learn to Love as Jesus Loves, we see Him doing it through us all the time.
    Like we are on training wheels, but as we go along we see Jesus face clearer and clearer, the face of Love.

He’s the one doing the works of Love, but He hangs that fruit on us as if we did it. That’s graciousness.
    Jesus Loves to adorn us with His fruit, and day by day He hangs new fruits of Love on us.
    Many ignore the daily graces to Love, but that’s the time and opportunity for Jesus to hang more fruit on us that’s such a joy for Him to do.

We are judged by our fruit or lack of it.

“When I was hungry you gave me something to eat”

Jesus needs to see the evidence of Love.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you thread this understanding from a few Scriptures?
    Off the cuff, Ephesians 2:8-10, 1 John 3:14 and 1 John 3:23.

#67 37818, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

2 Corinthians 9:12-13 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God; whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men.

(emphasis mine)

9. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Somehow, evangelicals think that Catholics are supposed to be afraid of Ephesians 2:8-10. Even if Paul were using “works” to mean “good works” in Ephesians 2:8-9, there is no conflict with Catholic theology. However, Paul probably does not mean “good works.” Normally when he says “works,” he means “works of the Law.” His point is to stress that we are saved by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the Mosaic Law. Jews have no ability to boast in front of Gentiles of having a privileged relationship with God because they keep the Mosaic Law and its requirement of circumcision

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a view of Paul. But see Romans 4:5 and Romans 11:6.

11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 15:6 was both before circumcision was given to Abraham in Genesis 17:10 and 430 years before the Law was given to Moses, Galatians 3:16-17.

13. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #74 37818, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023