1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ergun Caner controversy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I should also mention that I do not hold any malice against Liberty University and I really hope they will take care of this issue. If they do not it will ruin the school.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He Better Come Clean Soon

Caner has to be feeling the pressure. Maybe some of his friends are telling him :"Relax,it'll blow over." Others may be advising him to confess,turn about and do the right thing by resigning. Liberty is now complicit in this whole sordid affair. Up to now though armed with the facts it has chosen to sweep it all under a rug. But what a big lump remains!

Pretty soon secular news outlets will be on to this story big time. Al Jezera has the perfect right to investigate. The BBC may get in on it.Will Fox (which has been friendly toward Caner) be fair and balanced? What about MSNBC?

I have a couple of Muslim friends here. They are all nominal in their faith. But one in particular has disgust for Christianity when a liar who grandstands is treated like a celebrity.

Are any of you old enough to remember 1987 in particular? Jim and Tammy Baker,Jimmy Swaggart were big names back then. Most non-Christians identified Christianity with those individuals. You can also add Jerry Falwell,Oral Roberts and Pat Robertson.

I have never been ashamed to be a Christian. However, the disgrace that some of these people brought upon Christ's Name was terrible. It's happening again.

#82 Rippon, May 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't think the Caner controversy is anywhere near the level of a Bakker or Swaggert. First, sex isn't involved (that's always good for a few Nielson points). Second, the popular culture just doesn't care or know much. Everyone saw at least a glimpse of Jim and Tammy or Jimmy on their tvs. Ergun isn't on tv every week. He is known to mostly those within the walls of the church at best, and more likely those in the academy and clergy.

What Ergun is likely counting on is that this will blow over because the only thing that will force this onto the front page is if he does resign. Smartest thing he could do is come clean, take a censure, and move on if possible. That's the best that could happen to him at this point, save amnesia on everyone's part.

If this does grow legs due to his being from a fair sized town (suburban Columbus, OH) due to people talking, then it gets more serious. But I've yet to see anything anything near what went on in the late 80s.

4. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Tom
    I agree that this is a totally different situation from the infamous infidelity of the 1980's. Still, I am less concerned with Liberty being defamed in the national media...they would love to knock it down a notch or two, but, then again, they don't think a great deal about it to begin with. The real hit will be among baptists. I know that there are still some Southern Baptists that do not realize how good a school Liberty is. A huge gain has been made from the point when people would openly say the school was "a joke run out of Falwell's basement" (actually heard this said once). Such ignorance was largely quieted with accreditation and growth...but as you know Tom...it doesn't take much to undo decades of progress. I am praying that if these accusations are true, the University will deal with Caner before too much damage is done.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree that I think Liberty doesn't get credit due. You have to admire Falwell. At a conference, he told of a day when thousands would attend, NCAA division I athletics would be played, and thousands more would attend via distance learning. People chuckled all over the room - and the room was filled with people were friend, not foe.

Lo and behold.....here it is, with a Law school, a good business school, grad school, and an accessible seminary.

This school is not my first choice, but it's a sister school in the faith. So, I don't want anyone bringing it down. My fear is Ergun could be doing this. This is fixable. But it's a lot easier to do it now than after the damage has been done.

I think you and I couldn't agree more.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Exactly right, and you forgot to mention that they are indeed DIv 1 in athletics, and if I recall, they are even FBS for football (formerly 1A)

They have made a lot of progress is many areas...I would hate to see Caner take it down with his lack of integrity.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

They're still FCS in football, and they bball team has made it to the NCAA a time or two (the women's team is a fixture there).

I couldn't agree more about the fact that the stakes are too high for LU to lose.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I wish the video was captioned but it is not. However, this got my attention:

"Let me be clear: this program exists to discuss theology and the dangers of Calvinism! This program is not about me or the attack videos that are circulating the internet about me. Due to abuse in the comments, they are now shut off. So "document" that haters!"

This guy is a seminary president??

I am disappointed in LU. IMHO if they do not investigate and bring the facts to light promptly they will lose a lot of credibility.

(Edit: From the CT article it appears that LU has done all of the "investigating" that they intend to do. Shouldn't a man who is influential in the training of pastors be 'above reproach' himself?

#90 Mexdeaf, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  11. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I just watched the video. Whatever you say about Caner, you have to admit he's pretty funny!

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real Caner is funny too. It's a shame he does his comedy act behind a pulpit.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:eek: I did not realize that...

15. jonathan.borland

This was the first video of Caner I've ever watched. Or at least I thought it was the first one of him I had ever watched. Apparently I've been tricked!

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

haha, OK, I can't imagine having so much time on my hands as to make a spoof video :p

He does look like him though - I was fooled . . .

#96 mcdirector, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

The first link didn't work because I put a : at the end. Why? I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DrErgunCaner

We'll see if that one works. I should have known something was up IF I'd bothered to see there are only 2 videos on it.

18. jonathan.borland

Yeah, Rippon says this is a spoof. Do you have any real videos of Caner addressing his situation?

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I did acknowledge that in an earlier post.

I am so terribly sorry.

No, I don't have any real ones, but if you do a search on youtube for Ergun Caner, you will find some of him really speaking.

Again, my apologies.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are none whatsoever. Ergun Caner is not a candid kind of guy. But let's see if his heart changes. I wish that he was open about his deceitfulness. But with this latest statement from E.T. it will give E.C. that much more excuse to hide from the inevitable. This story is building every day. Liberty is protecting Caner -- it's the old Richard Nixon stonewalling method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.