1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ergun Caner controversy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Some of you guys are acting raving wolves in your lust for blood, you aren't actaully listening. I didn't say his forgetfulness extends to everything, I said there are something to which it would encompass that should not be brought into this.

#61 Allan, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet you seem to know the character of James White. You said this:

Do you know the heart of James White?

Typical double talk.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

White and caner are nothing alike. For that matter, just read the email exchange from 2006 when they were supposed to debate.

4. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Typical ignorance of a subject.

Do you know the difference between character and the intent of doing something?

Apparently not.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, they were both childish.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

They seem to have had similar problems. White claimed a degree before he received it:

http://www.shields-research.org/Novak/mail/white/letter9.htm

http://www.shields-research.org/Novak/mail/white/letter10.htm

And his degree was obtained from not much more than mail order:

http://www.shields-research.org/Novak/james.htm

http://jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/08/not_what_the_do.html

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is it they say about glass houses and White-d sepulchres?

11. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I know neither Dr. Caner nor Dr. White and so I will not comment on their feud. I only want to say that Liberty University has worked very hard to build a solid reputation; even in some SBC circles, they are not quite there yet. Still, a great deal of progress has been made due to accreditation and the massive expansion the University and Seminary have made. If these charges are true, it will set Liberty way, way, way back! Liberty needs to be the one to look into this; surely, they would realize the damage, if these charges are true, that would be done to their institution for years to come. It is like my grandfather used to say, "before you bet your future on anyone (going into business with them), be as certain as you can of his character."

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I say again that you are trying to rationalize away Caner's serial lying with your post numbered 51.

You are ignorant of the subject here. Spend several hours doing some research and then come back and speak with a degree of knowledge of the subject under discussion.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a Case Of Ergun Vs. Ergun

He is his own worse enemy. He can't keep abreast of all his lies through the years concerning his background.

Just after 9/11 Caner delivered a sermon and said things such as:" I walked into that little church, my English was very poor... they didn't make fun of the clothes I wore, or make fun of the fact that I wore a turban."

Versus :"I never wore laundry on my head."

Which Ergun do you believe?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

If you can't keep up, please quit replying.

No, you are the one displaying your ignorance here and it becoming a growing matter.

First, I have not given ANY position on the subject, however I am probably more abreast of the situation than you are. I have purposely steered clear of making any accusation against him nor making any specific defence for him. The ONLY thing I have stated is that for those who are 'wondering' and not wanting some new band wagon to jump on, to ask him for themselves instead of willingly regugitating gossip. Again - have you asked him.. tried to ask.. or has it even crossed you mind?

The other issue I have made has nothing do with whether he did or did not say certain things, but that some of the things given/mentioned fall more into a memory catagory and is really nothign more than his enemies trying to enlarge the issue with non-essentials that can easily be shown as common memory-lapse issues. This, as I said, was not to the majority, nor all but to certain things.

Now, try to speak with same a degree of knowledge and you pretend to bring to these..debates. It will give your posts a little more credibility.

15. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is getting tiring, Allan has NOT made any excuses for anyone. No matter how many times you say it, He has made his self clear to the sane ones.

16. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

#76 Grasshopper, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
  17. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

So you are now qualified to judge the character of James White? Is that what you are saying??

Piece of advice Allan. It's alright to be silent or say "I don't know" when dealing with topics you are clueless about.

Can I make a suggestion. Why don't you actually LISTEN to the words of Ergun Caner himself. You don't need third hand information. Let me give you a clue:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078607/

Notice the 1979 date? Interesting how a boy in Turkey in the early 70's watched this show.

One of many lies.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your comment is both funny and sad at the same time. From your remarks so far it is very clear that you haven't a clue. You are defending Caner;regardless of how you spin it. What will your reaction be when Caner has to resign? Will you still defend him because of your memory lapse theory? Perhaps children will try to use your excuse when they lie to their parents."Sorry mom, I must have had a memory-lapse experience like Ergun Caner."

Listen closely: He has done himself in. He's not in hot water because of anyone smearing him -- he is in trouble because he has lied constantly over a period of almost a decade.He has done this to himself. He and Liberty try to cover up things by editing and giving a different take. But he has not made a clean sweep of anything. All he has said so far is that he may have said things wrongly,caused confusion, scrambled things etc. That is not a confession on his part. He has deliberately lied over and over again -- and it has caught up with him.

Back to your weak rationale again. Sin is not sin in your book. His continual lies about his background are just non-essentials according to you. That's a shame.

Allan, sit this one out until you have done some research as I've suggested before. You'll have to eat your words as it is. You are on the wrong side of this issue. You can't claim middle ground. You are defending a fraud.That's not a good place to be.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Because I know both men personally, I've tried to stay out. But this one got me. Someone took a shot at James White because his doctorate was from Columbia Evangelical, an unaccredited seminary. However, the reason it's not is because it is set up precisely like the South African seminary that Ergun got a degree from. You cannot have it both ways.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Jerome, do you ever have anything more to say than a little one line post that typically stirs things up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.