1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Esv

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by RLBosley, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked you to provide what in your mind would be evidence for the ESV being a Calvinistic version. I did not see where you addressed the issue.

Lets start with Revelation 13:7 where the ESV has names being (not) written "before" the foundation of the world. This is consistent with the idea that individuals were chosen (or not) before the foundation of the world, the Calvinistic view of Ephesians 1:4.

What I expect to be the response, "one verse does not demonstrate a Calvinistic bias," or some such deflection.

Like a lawyer building a brief, he first wants to see all the evidence, so he can construct a response that addresses all the evidence and tells a story advantageous to his side.

That is why without criteria, any effort would be akin to shoveling sand against the tide.

#21 Van, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  2. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I agree with the bold 100%.

I see what the ESV tried to do, I just think it misses the mark. I prefer to use either my NASB and HCSB.

3. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Well it doesn't. :rolleyes:

I think you picked the wrong verse. Revelation 13:7 says: [Rev 13:7 ESV] 7 Also it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. And authority was given it over every tribe and people and language and nation,

As for criteria. I would say an obvious (or at least arguable) passage that has been translated in such a way that it supports Calvinistic theology only in the ESV. Particularly passages not traditionally seen as Calvinist "proof texts". I think that would be a good don't you?

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, sorry, I relied on my memory, always a mistake. Revelation 13:8 has the "before" where the non-biased versions have from or since.

I think at odds with the NASB, NKJV, HCSB, and NET, would demonstrate the bias. When you throw in only in the ESV, the ESV could cite the NLT and NIV, which are also, in my view, biased.

Bottom line, I have cited a verse that supports Calvinistic theology and is at odds with the non-cal versions.

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

You think the NIV and the NLT are Calvinistic?

Also saying "before the foundation of the world" or "from the foundation of the world" seems like a distinction without a difference. Same meaning in each.

Nor does that explicitly say why their names were written. I don't see this as supporting Calvinism. Really it's only contrary to Open Theism IMO.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crossway has really stepped up the marketing of the ESV offering many, many editions. Also the neo-reformed movement has adopted the ESV.

ESV is a fine translation so it's good that people are using it. It does have a reformed lean, but not enough to make it unusable by those not of the reformed point of view.

I like and use the NIV.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I expected, your move along, nothing to see here, response demonstrates no evidence could be supplied that you are not ready to dismiss as a distinction without a difference.

But what cannot be denied is this translation differs from the non-Cal translations, and therefore meets my criteria as demonstrating Calvinistic bias.

What Calvinists do here is claim something happening before the foundation of the world happens at the same time with actions taking place from or since the foundation of world. Irrational, yes, but there you have it, the Calvinist distinction without a difference.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Oh come on. :BangHead:

If that is your only evidence then you have no case! I hope I'm not the only one who sees Revelation 13:8 as being laughable "evidence" of a Calvinistic bias. The ESV is a revision of the RSV, which also had "before the foundation of the world." Is the RSV then to be considered a Calvinistic Bible?

The KJV has the clause "from the foundation of the world" as modifying the death of the Lamb. Does that mean then that the death of Jesus was only planned since Gen 1:1 or was it planned in eternity past? Clearly from all eternity is what is intended so "before the foundation" and "from the foundation" is indeed a distinction without a difference.

If you have real evidence of a Calvinistic bias, let's see it. Otherwise, stop being silly.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up on the NASB as a Christian, it was difficult to make the switch - I still like it and use it when I compare text.

1. The NASB does not use modern formatting to show quotes, poetry, and various other changes in the structure of the text.

2. While I do not detest Westcott-Hort's Greek text (much to the contrary), I feel the NASB follows it too closely for my tastes.

3. The NASB translators were reluctant to use the Hebrew Qumran texts, since then other texts discovered have helped to clarify difficult portions.

Rob

10. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

OK. Thank you for the input. I'm still trying to work my way through the various translation issues.

What are your thoughts on the HCSB?

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not very familiar with the HCSB.
    There were some distractions (not errors) in the NT translation that I could not overcome.

Rob

12. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

OK. To each his own. :)

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Setting aside the banghead emoticon as effort to demean.

2) Now the evidence of bias is not only a distinction without a difference, but is laughable.

3) To repeat, before means before and from or since means after. They are opposites. However, with all things Calvinistic, we have a Calvinist claiming the opposite, before means after and after means before.

4) Compare Revelation 17:8 and ask if the names were (not) written from rather than before. Ask yourselves why the ESV translators did not translate "apo" as from in Revelation 13:8 as they did in Revelation 17:8. Then consider the RL argument from the KJV.

5) It appears that no evidence of bias will be accepted, it is all to be disparaged as laughable and without merit.

Bottom line, the ESV is a Calvinistic version, with several verses badly mistranslated in support of Calvinism. The ESV is almost as bad as the NIV and NLT.

#33 Van, Jun 13, 2014
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the names were written or not written since or after the foundation of the world, why were they not written before the foundation of the world if God chose individuals before the foundation of the world? However, if individuals were chosen for salvation from or since the foundation of the world, then it makes sense that their names would be written or not in the same time frame, from creation to the end of the age.

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there is a difference.

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

1) Not an effort to demean. Just expressing my frustration at your continued silliness.

2) If that is all you have then yes it is laughable. Saying an entire translation is Calvinistic off one verse. Since the ESV copied the RSV here was the RSV a Calvinistic Bible?

3) Never did I say before means after or vice verse. Again you misrepresent me.

4) This actually shows one of my dislikes regarding the ESV, it's inconsistency with words.

5) you've presented one verse. That's it. If you have more, please share!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Another benefit of the ESV - it is free in all digital forms. So I can tell someone to get a Bible and help them load it immediately onto their digital device. I understand you can do that with the KJV as well but not many people are comfortable with the language - especially if they are not saved.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Calvinist drinks the coolaid!

RL equated before and from as a distinction without a difference, thus saying they mean the same thing. Yet, he then charges me with misrepresentation.

Calvinists seem to be all the same. Shuck then jive.

Unless you will admit the ESV mistranslates the text in a manner consistent with Calvinist theology at Revelation 13:8, there is no need to show you more evidence.

#38 Van, Jun 13, 2014
  19. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jive... now there is an apt description of someone I know.

20. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

:laugh:
    OK. So you have no others, got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.