1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ever Seen A Ghost ???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 3, 2010.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Circles? How coudl he see anything at all but line segments?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been "appearances" of the dearly departed in the Scripture:

Samuel appeared to Saul (the witch of Endor account).

Moses and Elijah on the mount of transfiguration appeared to Peter James and John.

And the most perplexing of all:

Matthew 27
    50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
    51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
    52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

What became of these?
    Did they go back with Jesus in His ascension?
    Did they have to die all over again?
    Maybe they are still here (just thought I'd throw that in)?​

HankD​

#22 HankD, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Point, My Brother

That was a great point. When the graves were emptied on that day, people did think they were seeing ghosts. An even greater question is, "what happened to them?" Does anyone know for sure?

4. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

I saw a ghost when I was about 12 years old. I saw the outline of my music teacher (also our music minister) in the doorway of my bedroom the same night he was killed in a motorcycle accident. I have never seen anything like that since. You doubters out there will NOT convince me otherwise.

Cindy

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe in ghosts, but I did have an experience once that I can't explain.

When I was in High School, I had a friend who lived in Haddonfield, NJ in a house that dated back to the early 18th century. One day, we were at his house and were in the family's rec room where they had a pool table.

All of a sudden, all of the balls on the table started moving. And I know that it wasn't just a matter of the table being off balance, because the balls started to move randomly, in different directions, and at different speeds. Then, the windows in the room started to raise up and down by themselves.

My friend's mother said, "Oh, that's just George". When we asked who George was, she explained that they had saw the apparition of a man every now and then in their house and that sometimes, he even waved to them. They believed that this man was a man named George who lived in the house with his family in the early part of the 20th century and he often appeared in clothes from around that time. She went on to say that often, just before or after they saw him, strange things would happen and the dog would get excited.

The father was an English teacher and had an extensive library and they would constantly find books in the rec room, which they believe was a study of some sort when "George" lived there. She told me that the balls on the pool table would often move back and forth on their own and she said that, to her, it looked like the way a bored person would just absent mindedly bounce a ball back and forth.

Please note that I'm not saying that I believe this was really the work of a ghost, this is just what I saw and I knew my friend Paul's parents very well and don't have any reason to believe that they were putting me on. Like I said, I don't believe in ghosts, but darned if I can think of any other explanation.

#25 JohnDeereFan, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
  6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stranger Things Have Happened....

I am not doubting you, I'm just questioning the recent groundswell in the phenomena of Ghost shows.

I had a similar sighting, along with my wife, when we were living in Grand Island, NE,
    in 1980.

The landlord gave us a really chep price to rent it, because the previous owner of the home was violently killed there less than 6 months earlier. It seems the victim ran a coin business out of that home, and he was robbed and killed. Of course, when we were doing a walk through to rent the house, we noticed the chalk line of the body was still visible in the master-bedroom. BTW. We never used that room. Just didn't want to, as it was too creepy! However, being newly married (two weeks), and short on money, the house seemed OK. After-all, I was a pastor, and I certainly didn't believe in ghosts???

We had the following strange, unexplainable things happen, during our five month stay in that house. We left because of job changes, but, I was never so happy to get out of a house in my whole life.

Any ways: the radio in the bathroom would always be changed - overnight - from a local AM rock station, to a local AM country station. The stations were at opposite ends of the dial, and neither of us liked country, at that time!

The downstairs stereo would go on in the middle of the night. It two was switched from the rock to the country station.

We'd see a black shadow, with a cowboy hat, walk through the front-room while we'd be sitting and watching television at night. We later went to the paper and found out that this man was very seldom seen without his cowboy hat.

We'd here the klinking and clanking of coins coming from a little downstairs bedroom, that he used as an office.

My wife's 5 year old son, would wake up screaming, several nights a week. He'd tell us that Darth Vader was standing at the end of his bed.

Finally, my wife claimed to have seen this man, and after I teased her about seeing ghosts, I felt someone staring at me in the kitchen one night, and when I turned around from the frig with the Pepsi I went to get, there was a man standing across from me, and I nearly fainted. He disappeared as quickly as he appeared.

This is what caused my wife and I to go to the paper and get some info on the guy and his murder. When we came across his photo, we both gasped in shock, because it was the same man she had seen many times, and the same man I had seen in the kitchen that night.

Spooky stuff. How much was real, and how much was the "power of suggestion" I'll never know, but, the things I mentioned were as real as they could be, and it still causes me to have hair stand up on my neck.

Who's to judge. As one person said earlier, the "Graves did open when Christ died on the cross, and people throughout the city saw loved ones who had passed away."

As I said in my opening post. I believe a lot of the paranormal is caused by demonic influence. And because demons are part of the supernatural side of what we know and understand, the very presence of ghosts can be but a small part of the supernatural side of events taking part on earth every day.

If you say you saw your church music leader, I'm not one who will stand in judgment of you. Thanks for your post, Cindy.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

7. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

My sister saw a ghost when we were living in Cleves, Ohio, in 1970 or the early 70s. She was in bed one night and she saw an old man with flowing white hair. He pointed his finger at her. She couldn't hear him, but she could read his lips. He said, "You! You!" while pointing his finger at her. She got scared and hid under the covers. When she looked again, he was gone.

I used to hear foot steps across the floor on the second floor. I would look and didn't see anyone. It creeped me out and I slept downstairs. I then heard foot steps going down the stairs, then stop.

My Mom wanted to know why I was sleeping downstairs. When I told her about the foot steps, she said it was just the house settling, but I knew the difference between foot steps and the creaking of a settling house.

Mom then threatened to swat me, so I had to make a decision: which one is scarier? My Mom or the supernatural entity upstairs. I decided to go back upstairs. Ghosts aren't known for hitting someone with a switch.

I was so glad when we moved out of there in 1975.

8. Servent

Servent Member

Luk 24:37 But they were terrified and filled with fear, for they thought they saw a spirit.
    Luk 24:38 And He said to them, Why are you troubled, and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
    Luk 24:39 Behold My hands and My feet, that I am He! Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see Me have.

Jesus said that spirits have no flesh or bones. the NIV translates spirit as ghost, are they demons, ghost or one in the same I dont know but Jesus is doing the describing.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have had several supernatural experiences in my life, but I have found when I tell people about them it hurts my credibility. So, I am very careful who I relate these stories to. I will say this, I was brought up in a very non-religious environment and was an absolute skeptic early in life, but no more.

My best friend who is a good and devout Christian was a passenger in his car with his older brother when he was about 14. His brother was driving. Suddenly an elderly man appeared in front of them. His brother braked but they struck the man and he was thrown on the windshield. My friend says the man's face was pressed into the windshield directly in front of him, a sight he will never forget. Then the man was thrown foward off the hood of the car. They both jumped out and searched everywhere but could find no-one. They went home and told their family. There was no damage to the car.

He said that they both knew this elderly man and that he lived in their neighborhood and they saw him after this incident.

I was talking to my friend about this and he said he still speaks to his brother about this incident that happened over 40 years ago. They both insist it truly happened, and they don't care if other people believe them or not. I know my friend to be a very honest person, so I believe his story entirely.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Did you know about his being killed before you saw what you saw, or did you find out afterword?
    2) Did he have any unique features such that the 'outline' was unquestionably he?
    3) [I realize this is quite personal] What was your relationship with him? More than just music teacher and minister?

11. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

Alcott, Question #1 - I knew he had been in an accident but I did not know he was dead.
    Question#2 - The apparition was a smokey outline. I just knew who it was beyond any doubt.
    Question #3, I'm not sure what you are getting at here, but there was no relationship with him other than he taught music at my school, and was also our music minister at church.