1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Expert: Evangelical Leaders Have Been Misquoting Bible to Push for Amnesty

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. James Hoffmeier challenged the evangelical community’s use of Scripture to push amnesty for illegal aliens in a lengthy panel discussion at the Heritage Foundation on Friday. Hoffmeier is on the staff of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and an expert in how to understand the context of the Bible. The majority of the mainstream media and political arena have unquestionably accepted the viewpoint that somehow the Bible fits the left’s political agenda when it comes to immigration legislation.

“The fact that the Bible has been used in the present immigration debate has both interested me and fascinated me because of how it’s been used and by whom it’s been used,” Hoffmeier, an expert in Hebrew and Biblical “exegesis”—what he describes as the study of how “to interpret Scripture in its ancient near-Eastern context”—said at the event.

Hoffmeier detailed for the audience how the Bible actually has three different words for what are commonly translated now into English as one word: “foreigner.” Those three words are “ger,” “nekhar” and “zar.”

“The term that is most frequently used and most frequently quoted—in fact, it occurs as a verb and as a noun 160 times in the Old Testament, so this is not some little idle passive word, it’s a significant word,” Hoffmeier said. “The word is ‘ger.’ But in some of the most modern translations, like the TNIV [Today’s New International Version] or the New Living Translation, they take all three of these words which have very different meanings in Hebrew and translate them by the same English word ‘foreigner.’ I think that’s creating some confusion when people start reading the Bible and they look at these words. And so what I’ve tried to do is clarify.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...ave-been-misquoting-Bible-to-push-for-amnesty

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....

....I appreciate this post!

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I hadn't taken the time to investigate their arguments, but I knew they didn't ring true. Thanks for the info, Rev. That helps explain a lot. :thumbsup: