1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Family Planning

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 21, 2017.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Right for me but not for thee." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so much for this thread, but when Steven said, "for me I would try to simply do whatever my conscience felt the Word told me to do", I always caution not to use that as an excuse not to do what the Word commands. For instance, "thou shalt not steal" is not a matter of conscience. Matters of ambiguity are different and not what I am addressing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bub I have had four children. I have been fruitful. I will not have any more because I do not want to be raising kids at my age. The phrase to be fruitful and multiply in no way implies or outright means to have children unending. Such an idea cannot be defended.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it isn't so much the over population, but the intent of the ruling bodies to remain in control.

Both India and China could well support far more people if their governments were "for the (all) people," but they are not.

5. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jacob had 12 children, but His father Isaac had, what, two? I think you should have as many kids as you can afford to provide for. The Bible says if you provide not for your own, you're worse than an infidel. My Wife and I had 3 kids but the doctor advised against having any more because of a medical condition. Have as many as you can provide for and use common sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will speak as an infertile woman who has also planned my children. When we were first married, we chose to not have children right away. Of course we had no idea that I had fertility issues until we were 3 years into marriage and wanting a child. Then we found out that I was not ovulating and I needed medication to ovulate. Through many cycles of trying, I finally conceived my daughter. She was born via c-section after a failed natural delivery (her head was too big for sure - fully dilated and baby moving UP during contractions). When she was a year old, we decided to try again and once again, we struggled with infertility and I needed drugs to conceive. Daughter #2 was born almost 2.5 years after daughter #1. We waited a number of years after #2 because she was such a tough baby and adding another child in there would have been too difficult for me mentally. When she was 4.5 years old, we decided to try for another baby. It took a year to conceive and many treatments with fertility drugs and I lost that baby to a miscarriage. We rested for a few months and tried again, once again, going through treatments and we were trying something new when I conceived again - only to lose that baby to miscarriage as well. I still remember crying out to God and getting a sense that we would have another child but this one would be to HIS glory. So I quit all fertility drugs but stayed on the drug that dealt with the PCOS I discovered I had when I had my fourth pregnancy (and second miscarriage). Low and behold, I conceived my son 5 months later. When he was 20 months old, I wasn't feeling well and what do you know? This was the first baby I had NO idea I even ovulated! I knew when each of the others were conceived down to the hour but this one snuck in. I got a bonus baby!

After I had my 4th child, my doctor was stitching me up (4th c-section) and he said that my uterus looked great and I could keep on going but my husband said that we had 4 wonderfully healthy children and he didn't want me to have that surgery yet again. He was done. It took me a number of years before I agreed and I was done too. We did do family planning (natural family planning and barrier methods) after my last was born because of the physical impact to me. I'm now 52 and while I still could technically get pregnant, I doubt it would happen. All along through my use of birth control, we were prepared to take on another child should God choose to override our decisions and cause a child to be conceived. We wouldn't NOT welcome one but we didn't pursue one, if that makes any sense.

I think each couple needs to make their own decisions based on their circumstances, walk with the Lord and ability to bring more children into the world and support them. Of course we don't question God's overriding our own wills if He were to choose to have a child be conceived - goodness knows, birth control, vasectomies and tubal ligations never stopped Him! But I don't think it is wrong to use our brains and our resources to say "Not right now. Let's wait a bit" for a child. And even when I was struggling with infertility, I never felt that those who were preventing conception were doing something wrong.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you and the Mrs. are older than Sarah and Abraham??

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Family planning should not avoid the husband being responsible for being "snipped" which is far less involved than the wife having to provide all the protection.

Real men usually plan ahead and prepare. We do it for vacations, education expenses, retirement, health and medical needs. Why not take care of the family planning in a decisive and relatively inexpensive way?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    when God comes down and tells me I am to bear his prophetic child then I will concede and wait for him to reverse my vasectomy

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SheepWhisperer

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes they do. The welfare crowd breeds like rabbits as well. We pay dead beats to have more dead beats, and we wonder why our nation is gone to Hell in a hand basket.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are side effects to vasectomy. It is not always as simple as many think. I would not do it again.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We form opinions on many issues that are not scripturally clear.

14. SheepWhisperer

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't aware of any side effects when I had mine, over 25 years ago. I wouldn't do it again either, but, what's done is done.

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not aware of them until I had them. Dr. Then told me that complications are very common.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we do, I agree. The problem is when we hold others to these opinions as if they were Scripture.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Safer than the side effects of a what the woman goes through!

Do men take hormone replacement?

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you should study the issue a bit better and stop repeating antiquated talking points.

Many men take hormo,e replacement. Again, move out of the 1980s Ang get in 21st Century.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Bruce Jenner did.

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, only those of the twenty-first century have side effects?

Or are you posting that it is better for a woman to undergo prevention, but men shouldn't have to avoid side effects?

I don't understand what "talking points" from the 1980's you consider I am posting.

21. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said vasectomies regularly have side effects. They occasionally have severe side effects. I honestly don't give a rip how you interpret or apply that information. It is a medical fact.