1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Father, forgive them

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Mar 28, 2012.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A primitive baptist (hyper cal) calling my view humanistic :laugh:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Non sequitur much? Oh yeah...dumb question...

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God hears His Son most of the time. I stand corrected.

Thinking more highly of Christ than I ought to is a weakness of mine. Thanks for putting my feet back on the ground.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granted, it's a difficult concept for the natural man. The carnal mind will seize any opportunity to hallow its departure from the will and mind of God, even if it can wrest it from the account of Christ's unwavering submission.

5. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is being challenged by precisely zero people on this thread.

Has been suggested by precisely 1 person on this thread...You.

Or...You could simply answer a very simple question My prediction...This will not in fact occur.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not I. You and dawg.

You're asserting the Gethsemane account shows us Christ asking for something outside God's will, and that His request was denied.

So, despite your huffing and puffing, you have indeed suggested that Christ's submission wavered, and that God does not answer all Christ's petitions.

#26 Aaron, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Does Christ's forgiveness of the ones who crucified Him mean that that they were saved? I don't think so. He forgave them of the sin of crucifying the only Lord and Savior because they were ignorant of what they were doing. But we see in Acts 2:36-39 that many of these same people were saved at Pentecost.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WRONG.

Neither for these only do I pray, but for them also that believe on me through their word; Jn 17:20

I'd ten thousand times rather feed on the God magnifying doctrines of the Old Baptists than that profane mush you espouse as sheep food.

Thank you Lord!

#28 kyredneck, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see...so you need TWO unrelated texts in John to put a passage in Luke in context. :rolleyes:

You see your hyper cal doctrine as food? I see it as the byproduct from eating food.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A.W. Pink:

“..... This cross-intercession of Christ for his enemies met with a marked and definite answer. The answer is seen in the conversion of the three thousand souls on the day of Pentecost. I base this conclusion on Acts 3:17 where the apostle Peter says, "And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers." It is to be noted that Peter used the word "ignorance" which corresponds with our Lord’s "they know not what they do". Here then is the divine explanation of the 3,000 converted under a single sermon. It was not Peter’s eloquence which was the cause but the Saviour’s prayer.....”

“What a complete picture did the Holy Spirit furnish of our Lord’s Passion with all the attendant circumstances! Among other things it had been foretold that the Saviour should "make intercession for the transgressors" (Isaiah 53:12). This did not have reference to the present ministry of Christ at God’s right hand. It is true that "he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25), but this speaks of what he is doing now for those who have believed on him, whereas Isaiah 53:12 had reference to his gracious act at the time of his crucifixion. Observe what his intercession for the transgressors is there linked with - "and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."

That Christ should make intercession for his enemies was one of the items of the wonderful prophecy found in Isaiah 53. This chapter tells us at least ten things about the humiliation and suffering of the Redeemer. It declared that he should be despised and rejected of men; that he should be a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; that he should be wounded, bruised and chastised; that he should be led, unresistingly, to slaughter; that he should be dumb before his shearers; that he should not only suffer at the hands of man but also be bruised by the Lord; that he should pour out his soul unto death; that he should be buried in a rich man’s tomb; and then it was added, that he would be numbered with transgressors; and finally, that he should make intercession for the transgressors. Here then was the prophecy - "and made intercession for the transgressors"; there was the fulfillment of it - "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do". He thought of his murderers. He pleaded for his crucifiers; he made intercession for their forgiveness......”

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll answer for for dawg:

Christ was 100% human. I'm 100% human. God says no to me at times—well, most of the time actually—so, how can you think that God said yes to Christ at all times? Didn't He deny His request in Gethsemane? That proves that sometimes Christ wanted something that runs contrary to God's will.

Christ wanted those men forgiven, but God didn't. Or maybe He did, but they didn't have faith so God couldn't do His will.

You know, it took 400 years before there was a Pharoah who according to his own free will would listen to the appeal of God for His people . . .
    Who's Pink?

:laugh:

12. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

"Nevertheless NOT MY will BUT THINE be done."

No one on this board would suggest that Christ's submission wavered...

That would read more like this:

"Nevertheless not THY will but Mine be done"

Inasmuch as Christ did not say that, no one here would suggest such a thing and you are fully cognizant of it ....Fully.

13. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Yes....

"If it be possible let this cup pass from me...Nevertheless.."you can finish it I'm sure.

Note: Even if it had NEVER occured that The Father denied Christ's petition......This passage demonstrates that it is at least
    1.) Possible or...
    2.)Jesus did not quite fully understand the nature of the relationship between himself and the father... at least not as well as Aaron presumably does.

14. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Only, Christ was asking the Father to forgive them......

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You will NEVER
    speak for me!,,,,,,,,

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: