1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBI Director Comey speaks on police bias against black men

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FBI Director, James Comey spoke to thousands of police officials on Sunday saying the lack of data is leading people to believe that "biased police are killing black men at epidemic rates”.

Comey made his comments at the International Chiefs of Police Conference in San Diego, acknowledging that videos of fatal police encounters are helping feed the frenzy that "something terrible is being done by the police”. He also said that people "actually have no idea if the number of black people or brown people or white people being shot by police is up, down or sideways over the last three years, five years, 10 years".

Comey’s comments come at a time when parts of the nation are restless due to the increasing amount of videos showing law enforcement using deadly force.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/1...speaks-on-police-bias-against-black-men.html#

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the mid-1990's, I was the "lead point" for the Firearms Training Simulator (FATS) machines at the Joint (Air Force and Navy) Security and Law Enforcement Training Center in San Antonio. As such, I was asked to do demonstrations of the machines for visiting dignitaries. At that time, we had just gotten the latest version of the machine (FATS III), which was interactive (you could shoot a suspect, but there were "alternate endings" where the suspect might get back up--whereas, in previous versions, you would shoot the suspect, and then lower your weapon because the scenario was over. The new one trained you to shoot the suspect, then keep your weapon on him/her because you didn't know what was going to happen next). Because it was new, the company hadn't created any military-specific scenarios yet; so we were using the set of scenarios that had been created for the LAPD, based on actual situations that LAPD officers had been involved in.

During one demonstration of the system, I ran through my customary spiel and demonstrated a "shoot" (as opposed to "don't shoot") scenario; then allowed the dignitary and a couple of others to take turns on the machine. As we were finishing up, a reporter asked if all the "shoot" suspects were black. After they left, I reviewed all the "shoot" scenarios in the system, and more than 95% of them involved black suspects.

Reminder: these scenarios were created for the LAPD, based on their police records.

As the media continues to publicize police shootings that fit the "social injustice" narrative, I keep thinking back to this story, and I have to wonder: Are police agencies still using the same type of scenarios? Is there a preponderance of "shoot" scenarios where the suspect is black? If so, is it possible we're "subliminally" training police officers towards a certain response? Has anyone examined police training methods to check for "subliminally-induced bias"?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since there is no evidence of any bias why would they

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right; "bias" is the wrong word. What I should have said was, "subliminally-induced training that predisposes towards one race over another or others, whether we realize it or not."

You know what I'd like to do? Set up an experiment that uses the same shoot/don't shoot technology that a majority of police agencies are currently using. Set up an equal number of scenarios with white, black, asian, and hispanic suspects; set up an equal number of shoot and don't shoot situations for each race/ethnicity; and see what the overall results are.

Tabulate how many of these systems are in use; and the total number of scenarios involving a "shoot" situation with the numbers of each each race/ethnicity.

Just out of curiosity.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If he's really said these things, then he's really ignorant. Folks don't have to know if the rates are up, down or sideways.

What they know is that police officers are murdering unarmed black and brown folks across this country. And technology is simply giving everybody else a glimpse into what they have said had been going on for decades.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You realize he's the one who doesn't think Hillary has done anything criminal?

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And?

The whole email thing remains stupid. There are over 22 MILLION missing emails from the Bush administration.

Start leveling charges there and work your way forward and I'll get onboard with ya. Otherwise the whole email thing is partisan politics and as bunch of nothing.

His getting one thing right doesn't relieve him of ,apparently,being woefully ignorant about something else.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New name for Comey. Commie Comey?