1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Federal court strikes down Illinois ban on carrying concealed weapons

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a victory for gun rights advocates, a federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down Illinois' ban on carrying concealed weapons -- the only total concealed-carry ban in the country.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals gave state lawmakers six months to come up with their own version of the law that legalizes concealed carry.

"We're extremely pleased with the ruling," Illinois State Rifle Association leader Richard Pearson said. "Now that the court has ruled ... we will work as soon as possible with legislators to craft a concealed-carry bill for the state of Illinois."

The 2-1 decision marks a huge win for gun rights advocates who have argued that the ban on concealed weapons violates the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment and what they see as citizens' right to carry guns for self-defense.

A new law could be in place by January, Pearson said. A bill has already been written by Rep. Brandon Phelps that includes background checks, field provisions and other issues.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-on-carrying-concealed-weapons/#ixzz2EmZIAh6t

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was strange to have a state law which bans something which requires a law to be legal.

I wonder if there will be enough support in Illinois for a sane and balanced conceal-carry law.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

My feeling go both ways on this one. I believe one should have a right to own a gun but on the other hand I believe in States Rights.
    I believe the conceal-carry law is a states right issue, guns is US right.
    In my state you can carry a conceal weapon, I don't and don't see the need to but a friend of mine carries at all times and that is fine with me.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Depends on what you regard as sane and balanced.

My guess is that the further from the notheast corner, the better the ruling is being received.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems to be consistent with other rulings, example Washington DC.

Interesting thought about states rights. Though I think the norm has been that the state law can't supersede the federal law. If that is right or wrong is hotly debated, but I think that this is how things have worked for a good while now.

6. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

This was great news to read yesterday. Add the vote in the MI house on right to work and it was a good day for freedom loving Americans.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carry rights are not a States Rights issue. Every state, in order to be a member of the Union, must agree that the US Constitution is the "supreme law of the land." By outlawing both open and concealed carry Illinois violated their charter agreement by violating the 2nd amendment. Most courts have agreed that one or the other must be available.

My state, Texas, is "shall issue" for concealed carry, but outlaws open carry. That's fine as we are given the ability to carry concealsed via a LTC (License to carry) (I have one and carry every day).

My former state, California, one of the most liberal and anti-liberty states in the Union, up until 1/1/2012 allowed concealed carry via a license program, and allowed open carry (unloaded) with no licensing at all, and loaded carry with a license when job related (I had both and carried every day).

Illinois is the only state that bans both, and by not giving the people the right to bear (carry) arms in one way or another has violated the US Constitution.

Finally a Federal Court of Appeals has discovered the US Constitution and seems to have not only read it but actually understood what it says! :)