1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured First Baptist of Hammond, IN

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Pastor Sam, Mar 22, 2018.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David Hyles son of Jack Hyles, pastor, youth pastor, printer, salesman, swinger... serial adulterer, alleged child abuser and murderer, destroyer of families, embezzler, liar, fraud, ... addict

I was going to document far more, but it is better that the reader find information from: The Biblical Evangelist - Jack Hyles Story

Please, folks, it is no joy in reading what this man did, and by all accounts nearest to date, continues.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is so sad.

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is alarming is that some in Longview actually are publishing that restoration has taken place.

4. Tennessee Gal

Tennessee Gal Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last time my pastor husband and I went to hear Jack Hyles, a gentleman took 25 minutes to introduce him. On the way home my husband said, " Honey, they are taking glory that belongs to Christ and giving it to a man."

The nail that broke the camel's back for us was well known preachers covering up for Jack Hyles. One well known evangelist who was the head of a large Christian ministry received a letter from a younger pastor. This pastor asked him if the allegations of adultery and mismanagement of funds by Hyles were true. The evangelist said, " Yes ". The pastor then asked him if he would use Hyles in the future in his conferences. He said he would, as this was a "local church matter" and First Baptist Church hadn't asked Hyles to resign . He also said that the good Jack Hyles and David Hyles did far out weighed the bad.

We couldn't believe that someone would be so arrogant to think Christians with an ounce of discernment wouldn't see through those statements. If it weren't so sad, it would be almost laughable. It wasn't just a local church matter, as Hyles spoke all over the country on a regular basis in churches, conducted " Pastor's school" each year influencing thousands of pastors over the years and was the head of a college that trained pastors. His influence went even further with the Women's and youth conferences.

The momentum as a movement the Independent Baptists had in the 60's, 70's and early 80's was greatly damaged, but more importantly the cause of Christ was hurt.
    I am thankful for the pastors that took a stand against the sin in the camp, but sadly too many "well known" Christian leaders wanted to sweep the sin under the rug. They looked at Hyles, like the cover up a few years ago of " banks that were too big to fail." He had too much influence, and could draw the crowds... he was too valuable to the movement to admit he failed.

One of the biggest mistakes in those days was encouraging believers to put Christian leaders on pedestals. After my husband went home to be with the Lord I moved back home and joined the church I am now attending. I've grown to respect my pastor. I respect the position of the pastor, but the man who holds that position must earn that respect.

#24 Tennessee Gal, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hyles had a great amount of people’s trust, and they confided in him (the same with his son).

So early, as a pastor would struggle, they would confide, and later find they would be quietly threatened with exposure should they speak against either the father or son.

I recall Dave stating in a sermon how much he enjoyed photography, in the midst of a sermon about forgiveness. At the time most didn’t catch on, but if you happened to look at what he was looking at, it was the husband of a wife he had spoiled. And the warning (to those who knew) was clear, don’t mess with me or I will destroy what you have.

That some actually still hold these two in esteem!

I was not there, but told that when Jack was in the hospital, his heart failing, rather then desiring to turn to righteousness and make efforts of restoration, he told jokes, and performed his act until the curtain closed.

Should one who knows the facts find my account erroneous, please present the truth, for I would like to present something of value in this man’s character that at least gives some indication as to the Holy Spirit conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment.

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Gray published in support of Jack and was were Dave has attended to be “restored.”

I don’t think that Gray is pastor anymore, he and I obviously had little in common and no fellowship especially as he embraced the evil of Hyles as if it were good.

Btw, James Spurgeon (author of tails from the temple) was a product of that ministry, and unfortunately when he began to stand against it was not (as the Scriptures declare one should be) careful that the very sin didn’t infest his own life.

It did. He resigned his pastorate in Marshal, divorced his wife, married another, and became a builder of houses.

I lost track of James not long after his divorce and marriage, and I do hope that He is faithful to the Father.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob Gray (Sr) is no longer pastor at LBT (I thought he died, but I may be wrong). His son Bob Gray (II) is the current pastor. I don't know anything about him as we don't fellowship with them. We have some members who lived in Longview in years past and were members there in the late 60s or early 70s, long before the Bob Gray era. It was not the way then that it became, but surprisingly (or perhaps not), the pastor who was there then also went down the same road of infidelity.

I don't know if LBT is operating in as large a fashion as they had previously. We used to see their buses traversing miles and miles (we called it "church on the bus") but haven't seen them so much like we used to. Another IFB church nearer to us is also on our "do not fellowship" list because of the same Hyles-type mess. They've changed pastors, but we have not seen repentance or making of amends.

I didn't know James S. personally, but corresponded with him a bit after he wrote his book. Seems he was at Sand Springs at Mineola back then.

#28 rlvaughn, Apr 2, 2018
  9. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has not died. That was Bob Gray from Florida that passed away.

Pastor Wilkerson is doing a phenomenal job at FBC Hammond. My sister and her husband are members there. I now go to church with them when we visit. I did not under the previous pastors.

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Pastor Bob. I always get/got the two of them confused!

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless that assembly does what I stated in Post #19, they will remain outside of the honor of God.

God does not dismiss the sin of the assembly because of leadership change, or change of policy.

It matters very little who stands in the pulpit, who the current leadership is, or what direction and accountability changes have been made.

Ultimately, that assembly is outside of the authority of God until they in mass repent, in mass restore, and in mass publish such world wide, and call for all who embraced the Hyles thinking to either recant or be dismissed.

12. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    FBC Hammond s no longer on the public stage. Neither you nor I have any definitive knowledge on what has or has not been done. Pastor Wilkerson has no obligation to clean up any messes outside of his congregation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wrong!

The assembly is responsible.

The continued attempt to stonewall, distract, excuse... are just plain evil. Evil that continues in the SAME vain as Hyles, for he was a master at such.

As the appointed leader of the assembly Wilkerson has direct obligation to the people that assembly damaged and to lead the assembly into making amends

Have they called Victor Nischik back before the assembly? They knowingly allowed Hyles to steal His wife? Have they washed his feet in servitude and gratefulness that he spoke out in love and concern, even while they shouted him down in the deacon's meeting, and yet not satisfied they tried to destroy him with lies and innuendo? He was one of their own, and they sought to destroy him for trying to protect his family.

Did they hold the wife Jack took from him accountable with the discipline that an assembly should hold?

How about reaching out to churches that Dave destroyed? They ordained the man, they agreed with his ministry, they have yet to admit that they failed to deal with him while there, agreed to his leaving, and embraced his return to Hammond. Have they had a daughter that he stole their virtue offered restitution and reconciliation? Have they given helps and comfort to the children born from his seed as he would ravage person after person in the youth department? Have they even admitted it to themselves that he was unqualified to even be a doorkeeper, much less a standard bearer?

Did they call upon Voyle Glover who very carefully documented and published accounts of the Hyles which resulted in great harm done to him by the assembly members? Have they washed his feet in servitude and gratitude for being true to God while they were wallowing in filth? He also was one of their own, yet they sought to discredit and destroy him.

Have they recalled unnumbered of missionaries, pastors, teachers, and others who were schooled and graduated from HAC and laid out the raw truth that not a single one can be doubtful of the sinfulness of that family?

Have they recalled unnumbered staff who were in some cases destroyed by the Hyles . Have they offered assistance in restoration and rebuilding?

You think that there is not obligation?

I cannot tell you the number of people who have been damaged and are continuing as damaged because of that assembly and what that assembly agreed to allow.

I know pastors and missionaries who still think that Miller Road Baptist Church kicked out Dave Hyles over some minor issue, and I have set with pastors who become enraged when the manner of Jack Hyles is brought to their attention. They think it all some grand conspiracy and satanic influenced assault on the man of God.

But as all cults, they cannot come to terms with the evil, but must excuse, pass over, neglect, hope that it will all just go away as if time heals wounds. It does not, unless such wounds are first cleansed and anointed with healing solutions. But they have no such solutions available, so they can offer no to such solutions. They must first wash their own, then reach out.

A bit of history:
    Jack Hyles tried to clean up his waywardness by moving geographically from Miller Road Baptist Church to FBC Hammond. He had kept his problem(s) well hidden in popularity and sustaining the appearance of unquestionable authority. But in Hammond his bluster split the church, and the sinfulness of his heart could not be continually covered. Oh, for some time he could keep it under check, but it didn't last. He wasn't there a decade before he was slipping, and it wasn't long until that which he tried to avoid conquered him, again, and again. The "Achy guy" just moved the chess pieces on the board until accountability was not present, and excess ruled both his heart and doctrinal views.

That assembly agreed and approved of all that was done, some tried to warn, but such were shouted down, dismissed, destroyed.

That assembly must be accountable.

Should they run from such accountability, they will perish without the lamp of God in their midst.

God destroyed the Hyles because of their lack of dealing truthfully. Not a single one is in the ministry, son, son in laws, none.

Do you actually think that the assembly will escape such judgment?

#33 agedman, Apr 2, 2018
  14. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you need to get off the public forum and meet with Pastor Wilkerson privately. "That assembly" is not the same assembly. Hundreds left during the Schaap debacle. Hundreds of new folks have been reached since.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like FBC, Hammond has been purged!
    and I trust - they do not forget the past.

16. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that an apology for past sins, kind of like what Stephen Jones did concerning BJU's previous racial policies, would be the best action. However, that church now may be like my father's axe - it's had 2 new heads and 7 new handles, but it's still "Daddy's axe".

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    How, pray tell, would you know what has or has not been done? Are you, by chance, getting your information from a disgruntled member of "that assembly"?

18. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

19. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on, cult? That's secular world talk. You and I both know it was great church and never a cult.

20. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Did you go to this church?

• Winner Winner x 1