1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Florida man arrested after he allegedly gave girlfriend a 'wet willy,'

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 2, 2018.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are simply wrong. You are wrong according to the law. You are wrong according to the standards of common decency.

This woman was assaulted in front of her daughter. She was grabbed. She was held against her will. He shoved his finger in her ear. It is legally assault. It is legally abuse.

There is no "extreme overreaction". And as far as no one wanting people abused or defending abuser, you are doing just that when you state she should be "slapped" for pursuing this charge.

Good grief back at you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assault, pure and simple

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We literally have a pastor on this board saying if she were to pursue charges that she she should get slapped. And look, everybody looks away and let’s him get away with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know. Then we have some people who are very committed... I would refer to them as “Kingdom People” those are the ones I have dialog with, who are a blessing and a good Christian example. Gravitate towards them.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless they are related... then the recommended assault becomes domestic.

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still hopeful he just spoke without thinking. Perhaps he will make the connection and admit he misspoke.

I, for one, enjoy conversation with people who disagree with me. I have found Revmitchell to be polite, yet firm in his beliefs. I don't remember him ever making personal attacks against me.

I also don't think it's fair to suggest he's not "very committed" or not "kingdom people". Those are thinly veiled personal attacks and not called for.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never made those comments.

I have seen him in action for a long time so I have a somewhat jaded view.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's probably already added you to his Ignore file. If you disagree with him, after a while he'll put you on Ignore.

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize. I should have been clear you did not say that.

10. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No worries.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot see who you are talking to so it is likely they are on my ignore list. If what is in your quotes is an example of how they spoke about me then you can see why they are. I have had to expand my list because of continuous statements like that (ten or more post).

Thank you for your words. I think arresting people over a wet willy is too much. It is harmless and arresting them is unnecessary. By the way, I never said "slap her" I said anyone who supports arresting someone for a wet willy (a childish kids game) should be slapped. It was means as in slap someone to wake them up it was not intended to be taken literally. Now if I remember correctly one or more of those who are on my ignore list will now accuse me (cuz that is what they are good at) of walking back what I said. Nope just clarifying.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said anybody should be slapped and it would obviously be her that would press charges. Your own words.

13. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A wet willie is usually playfully done by surprise attack or by force and is not an assault. Of course some people would probably consider it a felonious offense no matter how "innocently" applied. :mad:

That said, I suspect this belligerent drunk took it further than being playful, at least I would hope so being he was arrested for the behavior or it would be a pretty ridiculous arrest, hence, the "slap" (wake-up call) about that it is only a "childish game". I don't know the actually circumstances and think there is the possibility some are jumping to unproven conclusions here, the only "force" I've heard about is grabbing her wrist to give her the wet willie which doesn't sound too violent on its own, but still highly suspect the action was more than playful which is probably why the arrest was made. .

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the link. It was much more than a "wet willy" or a childish kids game. The man was charged with battery.

As I stated above, the headline has created the confusion by referring to the abuse as the "wet willy". Unfortunate choice of words which distorted the perception of the assault.

Abuse is about displaying power over someone, making them feel helpless. In this case, in front of the woman's daughter.

I know you never said "slap her". Just from memory, you said "anyone pursuing these charges should be slapped". Since she was the one pursuing the charges, it can easily be assumed you were referring to her.

I hope it was a poor choice of words. When I lived in Kansas City, I used to say, "Whoever designed these streets should be slapped " I wasn't really suggesting someone be slapped, but I was expressing frustration at layout of the city.

Perhaps, don't let me put words in your mouth, you were expressing frustration that someone might be arrested for a simple "wet willy", which gives the visual of sneaky up behind your girlfriend and quickly, and gently, putting a wet finger in her ear.

Again, what happened to this woman was not that.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question would be why he was charged for battery for a wet willie. Only thing I see to go on is "he pulled her arm and “continued by giving her a ‘wet willy’ sticking his finger in her ear,” ..."continued" being the key word that leads me to believe he was being more than playful.

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The only 'force' was grabbing her wrist...." and 'that doesn't sound too violent'

???? I continue to be stunned, I guess, at this kind of thinking. Once again, she doesn't have to wait until he kicks her teeth in before she files charges.

From a legal stand point, grabbing her wrist, holding her against her will, is assault, a must arrest, in every state in the nation (I think).

I never said it was a felony. It is assault and she would be wise not to drop it, imho

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said earlier, the main problem here is a misleading headline.

18. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, try not to be so dramatic then or take it out of context.

I said: "A wet willie is usually playfully done by surprise attack or by force and is not an assault."

Is that not true??? Have you never given or received a wet willie or seen someone else get one?...or maybe never seen anyone grabbed to give it?

Like I also said, "Of course some people would probably consider it a felonious offense no matter how "innocently" applied. :mad:" ...to be honest you're making me think I might have pegged your attitude about receiving a wet willie. If so, I'd suggest taking a chill-pill dude. :D:Roflmao

19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely makes for good click bait the way it is presented. They may have purposely left out the details to raise controversy.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    No attitude about "wet willies". Plenty of attitude about women being abused. Can't stand it when it happens. Can't stand it when people try to minimize or dismiss it.

You go ahead and focus on the "wet willy". I'll keep thinking about that little girl watching her mother being man-handled and humiliated by a drunk.

I can't help myself. Must be my dramatic side coming out.