1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Florida school district bans Bibles on Religious Freedom Day

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by ReformedBaptist, Jul 2, 2010.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/fe...istrict-bans-bibles-on-religious-freedom-day/

Maitland-based Liberty Counsel filed a lawsuit Thursday to overturn a ban on Bible distribution on public school campuses in Collier County. According to the Liberty Counsel, the Collier County School Board allowed World Changers to distribute free Bibles to students during off-school hours on Religious Freedom Day, but now the school officials claim that Bibles do not provide any educational benefit to the students and the distribution should stop.

wow. that's all I can say.

2. targus

targus New Member

Just thinking out loud....

What is the point in the mass distribution of Bibles anyway?

If a student is already a Christian he or she no doubt already owns a Bible.

If a student is not a Chrisitian what is the point in handing them a Bible without explaining the Gospel to them?

3. ReformedBaptist

Psalm 119:9
    Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

Jeremiah 15:16
    Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

John 17:6
    I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

John 17:17
    Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

4. targus

targus New Member

Is there anyone here who was saved because someone handed them a Bible without preaching the Gospel?

Is there anyone here who was saved by only reading a Bible without someone explaining the Gospel to you?

How far would someone have to read into the Bible before gaining an understanding of the Gospel well enough to know how to accept Jesus?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How is someone anything but helped by receiving a Bible? What if they read John 3:16 on their won and being convicted by the Holy Ghost began to seek out God? What if the read Isaiah 64:6 or Romans 3:23, or Romans 6:23, or Romans 10:9,10.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

What if they were given a Bible and a Q'ran. Would this make you all happy?

7. targus

targus New Member

What are the chances that someone who is not a Christian would at random open the Bible to John 3:16 ?

We are to "preach the Gospel".

Please show me where the Bible says that we are to go out and make mass distributions of the Bible at random?

Why didn't the eunuch say that he needed someone to explain the Scriptures to him?

8. ReformedBaptist

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
    John 20:31

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without the Holy Ghost terrible. With the Holy Ghost great.

Where does it say not to do it. The issue is not addressed one way or the other.

Do you mean "did"?

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Bible was being written there was no way to mass produce God's Word. Today there is. It is never a bad idea to give a copy of God's Word to someone.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Targus - can you talk to everyone?

We should talk to everyone we can...but realistically, we're not going to be able to, are we?

So how about planting some seeds, and leaving some bibles for people to read?

12. targus

targus New Member

No, I can't talk to everyone.

But then you can't give everyone a Bible either.

So why not put those resources to better use my supporting missionaries or an outreach program, or a food pantry, or a homeless shelter?

All of those would provide an opportunity to reach people with the Gospel at the same time.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is not an either or scenario. But you are welcome to do it as you wish. Nothing here to condemn.

14. ReformedBaptist

How about you give to God what you give to God, and let these give to people the Scriptures. We just would like them to be able to unhindered by the state.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I talk to one person; leave a bible somewhere that's found and read by another person; volunteer time to help out with food pantries, shelters, and/or other programs; as well as provide personal support to missionary families.

You can also set up websites that reach around the world to everyone who has internet access. Take out TV time on your local public access channels, or even buy time slots through a local TV station to get the Word out. Advertise on billboards.

The point, sir, is that there is not only one way to get the Message out. We each have unique, God-given gifts and talents. I commend you for being the feet, or the mouth; but there are also the hands, which are to be given the same amount of respect/commendation as the other parts of the body, because it is as a whole that the body truly works as God intends.

16. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

My high school banned Bibles in the school back in the 1960's. Since I graduated in 1965, it would be that year or before. It was during lunch time while we were in the cafeteria when teacher pushed a metal cart through the cafeteria and told us to put any Bible we had on the cart. I had a NT that I did not put on the cart. I read it during my breaks and was made fun of by other teens because of it, but no one mentioned that I had it. Also, prayer was banned at that time.

We had a teacher who started each class with prayer and Bible reading, but that stopped after that. God was kicked out of that school. I remember in elementary school (now called grade school I guess) when we had a manger scene and a play about Jesus' birth in the school, and I recited the words in Luke 2 about that great birth. I would have about 10, and 8 years or less later prayer and the Bible are banned from school--at least my school in Battle Creek, MI.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless that school had the ability the control thoughts it did not kick God out of anywhere. :godisgood:

18. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

That's crazy. You did the right thing by keeping your Bible and I would have done the same. What your school did was highly immoral, not to mention illegal. I can not fathom a school doing that.

19. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

At least in their minds they did. I heard something one time that I suppose was meant as a joke, but it's all too possible to be funny.

A teacher saw a group of boys kneeling in the hallway of the school and ran up and asked what they were doing. One boy said, "We're shooting craps (gambling with dice)." The teacher, relieved, said, "Oh, thank goodness. I thought you were praying."

20. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only prerequisite component of the conversion process is the drawing of the Holy Spirit.

The Spirit can use an unadorned copy of God's word to bring conviction and salvation.