1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Florida school district bans Bibles on Religious Freedom Day

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by ReformedBaptist, Jul 2, 2010.

1. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Is it just me.... or haven't most Christians read the story about the Ethiopian Eunach returning to his country and in route reading in the book of Isaiah. God sent Phillip (if my memory serves correctly) to explain better the passages and the fullfillment of what he read and he was converted and baptised.

A person cannot read a book he doesn't have. But once he has a book to read....he has a choice........ he can devour its contents though he may have his questions and lack some understanding. Who would dare say that he is not better prepared for someone to answer his questions and explain the gospel to him than to a person who has no preparation. In all cases... it is dependant on the Holy Spirit to draw men's hearts to Jesus Christ.

Why would a Christian question this when in so many parts of the world, the Bible is precious, and some would die trying to get and keep a copy? Is it so that there are people who are called 'Christian' that resent the distribution of any portion of scripture, or think it is unprofitable?

#21 windcatcher, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  2. targus

targus New Member

I just love this type of hyperbolic baseless characterization of the opinions of others.

Holding the opinon that we are called to PREACH the Gospel not simply hand out Bibles equals "resenting the distribution of any protion of Scripture" in the mind of some.

Priceless. :love2:

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Wow Targus, you ask if anyone has ever been saved by just reading the Bible? Yes, many thousands of people have said this is how they were saved.

It's funny, those people who want to ban the Bible from school have more faith in it than you. They do believe that a Bible can have an effect on a person, that is why they want to ban it.

4. targus

targus New Member

More of that baseless hyperbolic mischaracterization of others. :love2:

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

How is it a misrcharacterization? Didn't you ask if there was ever someone saved by reading the bible without someone preaching?

The written word carries the power of God. It is quick and powerful (Heb 4:12)

Go to the Blue Letter Bible and search "it is written". You will be amazed how many times Jesus said this. He put great emphasis upon the "written" word.

Matt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Handing out Bibles is a great way to lead people to Christ. Many people have testified that they got saved reading the scriptures, or that they were convicted by the written scriptures and went to church, heard the gospel and were saved.

Preaching is important, but not all preaching is good. You can go to church where the preacher gets up and talks about helping the poor, or doing good works. Preaching is only good if it says what the written word says.

#25 Winman, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  6. targus

targus New Member

This mischaracterization...

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't see that as a mischaracterization at all. You questioned whether whether people can get saved by reading the scriptures alone. That is doubt.

Those people who oppose the bible on the other hand seem to have a great fear of it. So it is obvious they believe the written word of God can have an effect on people.

8. targus

targus New Member

Believe of me what you will...

I know you to be wrong.

If you are comfortable judging the mind and heart of someone who you have never met - good for you - I guess.

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Would you stand with the state and forbid Christians from distributing Bibles?

10. targus

targus New Member

In general - no.

Under certain specific limited circustances - yes.

For example - I would be ok with not allowing the distribution of Bibles at a polling place. Or in a jury room.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I apologize for being too blunt. I really don't think any such thing about you. Sometimes we say something we really don't mean. I am sure you love the Word of God and have much faith in it.

So, I was being a little rough, I am often like that. I apologize for that. I have never been known for having much tact. My father who recently passed away and younger brother are even worse!

12. targus

targus New Member

No problem.

I assume that everyone here is Christian if not Baptist and as such love the Scriptures.

Our disagreement is more about focus - I just happen to think that a one on one sharing of the Gosple is more productive than handing out Bibles on a wholesale basis.

I talked with my wife about this - she is a public school teacher with 30 years experience - and her concern was how many of those kids that were handed Bibles without a sharing of the Gospel are throwing them in the trash - or worse.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, if only one child reads the bible given them and ends up getting saved, it would be worth it.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but Gideon's used to give out New Testaments, in fact I received one when I was a boy and had it for many years.

Here are some testimonies, showing several who accepted Christ through receiving a Gideon's Bible.

http://www.gideonsintl.ca/-media/returns/youth.html

14. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Good. Then leave these be. The state of Florida has overstepped their bounds. Not that you have anything to do with it anyway.

My children will never face this because I will never have them in a state school, at least not for the better part of their education. But if they were to be in a public school setting I would encourage them to share their faith, distribute Bibles, pray, and preach the Gospel to students and teachers, whatever the cost.

No state, or government on earth has the authority to forbid a single Christian from preaching the Gospel whenever and wherever God sends them.

15. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So once one is regenerated, he has no use for the bible? That's what I learned from this thread.

Good grief.

16. targus

targus New Member

How are you getting this idea?

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

uh....me too.

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

From targus basically saying that giving out bibles is a worthless endeavour unless one preaches to them trying to get that person into heaven. He puts all the emphasis on regeneration and totally forgets practical sanctification.

19. targus

targus New Member

It isn't the State of Florida that is banning the distribution of Bibles on the public school campuses - it is the Collier County School District.

The schoold district is operating within their authority to set rules about who can and cannot distribute literature on the school grounds.

If the citizens of the county disagree with it - they should replace the superintendent.

Students are not being prevented from sharing the Gospel with each other in this case.

They are preventing a non-profit group from coming onto the school property to distribute Bibles.

Actually that is not true.

There are trespass laws.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Which is the focus of passing out Bible at a school.