1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FOLLOW JESUS OR DENOMINATION???

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by tamborine lady, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Tam,

my post was for you. I am sorry for the confusion.

The Bible is full of apostle/teacher and disciple relationship examples. What was your way of thinking that you decided that this is not the right way?

2. Glen Seeker

Glen Seeker New Member

Remember the Ethiopian Eunuch? He could not understand the Scripture unless someone taught him. Someone who had been blessed with the authority to teach.

If the Bible says that there is a teaching authority, how can we reject it?

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

There is nothing wrong with following your denomination, UNLESS their teaching does not follow the bible.

Is there a denomination that teaches ONLY what the bible says? I think not.

I know we all think OURS does, but sometimes we are taught the wrong thing by man with all good intentions.

Thats why we should read the bible and study it diligently, and if the church we go to does not teach everything right according to the Word, then you need to decide what to do about that particular thing.

Phil 2-12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
    14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
    15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation,

Working for Jesus,

Tam

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, but the Ethiopian was not a believer at the time he said he did not understand it. God provided someone to explain and present the gospel.

I think it's fine to have teachers but the Bible also speaks of the priesthood of the believer. We have the Holy Spirit and can understand scripture because of that. The reason we can still disagree (in different denominations and within denominations) is because some scritpure is not that clear or is open to differing views (such as the end times). We are human and cannot be completely right on every minor issue, even with the guidance of the Holy Spirit -- thus, we disagree amongst ourselves. However, on the essentials, Trinitarian Christians agree.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

I am personally convinced that Jesus never intended to start a new religion but to reform Judaism from the inside.

An honest reading of Acts <G> shows that the Jerusalem leadership dispised Paul but didn't know what to do with him. When Paul was finally arrested in the Temple, did the Christian leadership come to his aid? Fat chance!

After the Temple was destroyed, Paul's followers gained control of the Church and destroyed any manuscripts that opposed Paul's teaching. They couldn't dump the 4 remaining Gospels.

It is important to note that the 4 Gospels were written AFTER Paul's letters. I think they were written in part to counter Paul's letters.

6. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Each denomination has thousands of hours of Bible studying done by people that have the Holy Spirit. They teach the findings in the denomination. How does it compare to your amount of studying? What makes you say they are wrong I am right?

7. wopik

wopik New Member

We should follow the customs and examples of Jesus. Paul did this with respect to the holy Sabbath. It was Paul's manner, his ethos to worship on the Sabbath, as it was for Jesus (Lk 4:16).

Paul tells us to follow him, even as he followed Christ (1Cor. 11:1).