1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Forced to serve?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jereynolds, Aug 31, 2012.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where I live, one of the distinctives of being a Baptist church is that it IS PURE DEMOCRACY.

Pastors lead under the authority of Christ, invested in him by the local church.

Day a pastor tries to rule is usually his last day of employment:)

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It may be.

It think what it generally means today since the advent of Pentecostalism and TBN is that someone looks for some kind of feeling to come over them.

"I was lost. I came to a stop sign. I could turn left or right. I prayed. Suddenly I felt led to go left."

That's the kind of thing that most people mean, I think.

Should I marry this guy or that guy? I prayed and I felt led...

Should I go to this church or that church? I felt led...

Should I give this amount or that amount? I felt led...

Should I quit the ministry and get a secular job that pays more or should I...? I felt led...

It's bogus.

When you come to a fork in the road you employ wisdom to make the right decision. Not feelings that you think come from God.

What comes from God is the Bible and the Spirit within you bringing to remembrance and understanding the things written in the Bible.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Bingo.

Exactly.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely people misuse the phrase, "I feel led" or "I feel called". It's just like people misuse and abuse all kinds of phrases in the church.

But to assert that this means that God never leads or calls people into jobs in and out of the church is just as much as an abusive statement. This attitude in this thread is bothering me - alot.

God pricks the hearts of Christians all of the time with conviction to do certain things. Some Christians rise to the occasion in obedience and some don't.

The phrase "I feel called" by the Lord is not a bogus phrase. It's only when it is misused as as an excuse or as a way to bulldoze one's way into a place that isn't their business that it's wrong.

I have "felt lead" to do things all of the time. And YES, I ALWAYS have to have a prayer time to make sure that it's God's idea and not my own. And YES, there have been times when someone has asked me to do something in the church and there was just a void there in my heart about it. I prayed about it and the answer I received was "It's not you."

And I can tell you from personal testimony that there have been two times in my life that someone in the church "convinced" me that I was supposed to be doing a particular job and I took their word for it instead of God's and it turned out to be a huge disaster with some terrible spiritual ramifications.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who said such a thing?

Debate what is actually said, not what you mistakenly conclude from it.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right, then,.....correct me. I've went back and read this entire thread 3 times.

Explain it to me. Just how is a person supposed to verbalize the fact that God is leading them to perhaps (a) teach a Sunday School class, (b) step down from singing in the choir to fulfill another responsibility, or (c) help the janitor on Satudays without saying "God is leading me..."?

I don't deny that the phase can be abused. But how is one supposed to share that God is leading them without saying "God is leading me"?

I don't believe that phrase in and of itself is unbiblical nor evil.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither do I.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Once again, you debate against statements that have not even been made. No one is questioning the merit of the statement "God is leading me..."

Reasonable debate requires that both sides represent their opponents statements accurately and debate what they ACTUALLY say- not what you mistakenly conclude from what they say or what you think they are getting at.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is my last attempt.

What is the difference between "God is leading me to step down from the choir and serve as the pianst" and "I feel led by God to step down from the choir and serve as pianist."

You say here that the first has merit and no one is questioning it.

You've said earlier that the latter is unbiblical and evil.

All I want is to understand what you are talking about since you've said twice that I'm misunderstanding you.

And by-the-by, just because someone questions you or asks you to clarify things or disagrees with you does not make them your debate opponent. This isn't a debate competition. I just want you to clarify.

11. Jereynolds

Jereynolds New Member

Been away from this post for a bit dealing with work and the hurricane....Just want to add that I think you are probably right about the usage of "feel called" in the light that people often do abuse it and use the statement as an excuse to do or not to do something...my ex wife left me for another man (both proclaiming to be Christians) with the excuse that it was what God was calling her to do, so I am well versed in the abuse of the statement.
    I guess a better way to state it would be to just say called and only after an individual uses scripture as the final authority and not a feeling. In my OP this is what was meant and not making decisions based on a warm fuzzy. Unfortunately though this is how a many Christians often look at life and decisions (Im just as guilty at times) and my concern would be that someone is going to teach my kids who does not "feel called" and with that attitude they might not take the job seriously.

#91 Jereynolds, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Webdog, you posted....

You seem to be saying that we should ignore our giftings and "calling", so that we can heed the dictates of a man, or men?

Am I misunderstanding you?

And btw, I have no problem regarding "grunt work" in church. I have volunteered scrubbing floors, cleaned bathrooms and toilets, mopped, painted, watched the kids, etc etc..

#92 Alive in Christ, Sep 3, 2012
  13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's not what I said was evil. I was specific about what I thought was evil.

What is evil is that which I identified as flowing out from this erred philosophy that I simply condemn as erroneous in this thread.

The philosophy is erroneous- the thing which I spoke of which often results from the philosophy is what is evil.

And finally, this is DEBATE forum. That's what this thing is called in no uncertain terms.

Being an opponent does not mean being an enemy- it just means taking opposing sides on an issue. And "debate" is a noble thing- not something to shy away from. The best of friends often do this. You should not demonize it.

#93 Luke2427, Sep 3, 2012
  14. Alive in Christ

Luke2427, you posted...

SAY WHAT!!!:eek::laugh:

Could someome please decifer that gobbldegoop for me???? :thumbsup:

15. Alive in Christ

Scarlette, you posted....

Well said. I agree with you regarding this topic.

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

:thumbs: :thumbs:

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, you are misunderstanding me. Earlier in the thread I conceded we are all gifted differently to be utilized in the church, but we are all called to be servants, what is being discussed in the op. You also present somewhat of a false dichotomy as we are to utilize our gifts...and fall under the authority of our leaders. If a believing member has kids and are presented with the policy in the op, as someone who has placed themselves under their leadership they can either submit or find another church. I have no idea why someone would object working with children when they HAVE children, its baffling. The excuses on this thread have been lame and quite rebelious, imo.

18. Sminasian

Sminasian Member

I am a member of that church, with NO children who use the nursery. I have GRAND CHILDREN. One is in sunday school and the baby sits with her parents. The policy at my church is that ALL women must serve in the nursery, having children or not. We have men who have " parking lot duty", it is not madatory. There are a few who volunteer for that, no one is MAKING them attend in the parking lot. The fact is, not too many woman want to be stuck in a nursery with a ton of kids , changing diapers, feedings, wiping noses, etc... and the churches KNOW THIS, that is why they make it mandatory, if they didnt, how many women would REALLY " volunteer"? Not many I am sure

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't understand the attitude of not wanting to help young mothers and finding being with their children such a burden. I was blessed so much by others helping with my own children and I wish I could help out in the nursery now. Well, my two older girls will step in if they are able to because it's a privilege to serve.

Our churches are in great trouble when it's all about "me" instead of "Christ gave His life, the least I can do is to help. Where can I best serve to assist the workings of this ministry?" For a church to feel that they need to assign women to work in the nursery because otherwise it wouldn't be staffed is a sign of unhealthy people in the church. Instead, it should be a place where they have to say "Oh, I wish I had someplace for you to serve this week but we're full."

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sure. The part you don't understand is "I don't feel this calling to work with babies and children as it is_________ (insert excuse: beneath me, don't want to change diapers, wipe noses, hold crying babies, etc., don't feel like doing it so I will just say 'I'm not called to do it', you cannot tell me what to do, I dictate how I serve in the church, etc.)"