1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fountain Pens

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Reformed1689, Mar 5, 2019.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y'all are tempting me to try a fountain pen again. I think the issue was me (the angle and pressure I use when I write quickly).

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I write very fast with my FP. I use a Pilot Metropolitan ($18) with a steel nib. It does fine for me.

3. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps. Pressure and fountain pens don’t mix. A fountain pen should write under its own weight. A well-tuned fountain pen is a joy to write with. If it isn’t well-tuned, many people add pressure, which may work for a short while but is ultimately self-defeating.

The Archangel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Our pens had ink cartridges that were pressed into the rear of the stylus. We boys would get to playing around, sticking it in and pulling it out and then it would leak onto the top of the desk. Put that same pen you had been messing with in your shirt pocket and it leaked there messing up your shirt. Oh the memories, it was all great fun!

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A fountain pen?... If theologians of old had the technology we have now... Spurgeon's sermons would have been done on a desk top... I use a ball point to make out a shopping list... You brethren are definitely Old School... Brother Glen:rolleyes:

6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing wrong with old school lol. I do type out my sermons, but a lot of the prep work for my sermon is handwritten.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use to have good penmanship but grocery checkout destroyed that:eek:... Now I can't seem to read the writin that I writ... Brother Glen:(

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I finally looked at the ink bottle. It's Manuscript brand, which comes from a British pen company. I've been very happy with it. I had used a cheaper brand, which was far inferior.

As to requiring pressure, that means either the pen isn't tuned (as Archangel pointed out) or it's dirty. A fountain pen should glide effortlessly across the paper, saving wear and tear on your hand muscles.

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a good point as well. Fountain Pen's need to be flushed with some sort of regularity.

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that I have used a fountain pen since 1958 or so. I remember when cartridges came in. The ball point was neater unless you had very good penmanship.

11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's interesting. I actually write neater with a FP then BP

12. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, we had cheap fountain pens--Esterbrook pens that cost three or four dollars and had a rubber bladder. Cartridges released a more even flow of ink. I did better with a quill pen and a bottle of ink but it was time consuming. Early ball points smeared a lot but that doesn't happen much nowadays. I use a very fine ballpoint. My penmanship is just average.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sprang for a Pilot Metropolitan after seeing it recommended here. It rights very well and seems to have good fit and finish for a $15 pen; the Japanese-made Pilot is head and shoulders above most of the bargain pens I've tried. I'd say it writes about like my Aventura (which was a birthday present that I don't dare take to the office) and seems a bit more sturdy.

I'm not sold on the bladder ink cartridge, but we'll see.