1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Free Will Proves The Sovereignty of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DrJamesAch, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Meh...nothing he ever said was really that debateable at all actually...there isn't ANY extant writing of his which could reasonably be used to declare him a "heretic" on anything.

Most of his writing is amazingly non-controversial....but, alas....anything he MAY have written which is un-orthodox, has already been burned ......so....good luck.

That's what Calvinists usually do....they burn the works of those who disagree. What's new? Heck, they'll burn your personal body if your name is "Michael Servetus"..

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just a summary note to what I stated above: The elective grace of God is God's undeserving love in saving some when Justice calls for the wholeale just condemnation of all men equally. Apart from God's elective mercy all mankind would only know of God's justice who deserve only justice and no mercy - thus the rest of mankind receiving exactly what they deserve - justice! And so who can cry foul? None! So who are you that replieth against God, that is not fair??? Just Arminians who do not have a true sense of God's Justice.

#62 The Biblicist, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

4. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Well then that's it isn't it! Quote 20 verse totally out of their context and just build a conclusion around all of them so that folks will think because you sited 20 verses that wallah that supports the conclusion without the possibility that each one of those verses has an entirely different meaning than what you gave it.

Let me show you how that works. I will prove that man is saved by works (for analogy sake) and can lose his salvation based upon what you just did trying to prove that God is a determinist.

Revelation 3:5 "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

Exodus 32:33 "And the Lord said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book."

Revelation 3:16 " So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth"

Revelation 2:7 "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God."

Revelation 2:26 "And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:"

Psalm 51:11 "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me."

Revelation 14:12-13, "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus, And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them"

Matthew 24:13 "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."

James 2:24 "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."

Hebrews 10:38 "Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him."

Hebrews 3:6 "But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end."

1 Corinthians 15:2 "By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain."

Matthew 6:15 "But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

Hebrews 3:14 " For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;"

2 Peter 2:21 "But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction."

Matthew 10:38 "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Colossians 1:22-23 "In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Matthew 7:19 "Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."

Matthew 10:22, "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved"

Romans 11:21-22 "For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off"

1 Corinthians 9:27 "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

Hebrews 10:26 "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins"

Ezekiel 33:18 "When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby."

I could list several more like this. Each one of them can be argued to prove that a believer can lose their salvation, and/or that salvation is by faith plus works. Strung together, with the added presupposition, looks pretty overwhelming that there is a case against eternal security.

This is exactly what Calvinists do with verses that appear to support God being a determinist. Take several verses out of their individual contexts, some of which make no mention of the doctrine they are trying to prove, and build a conclusion around the volume of citations, instead of showing the contexts and THEN explaining each context and how it ties to the whole.

But, I will go verse by verse on each on you listed, and show that NONE of them support that God is a determinist.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Granted, proof texting must be confirmed by immediate and overall context. However, you have not demonstrated he jerked any text out of context. All you have demonstrated is your own ability to jerk these texts out of context with a full confession that you did so intentionally.:BangHead:

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists shuck and jive using misdirection.

To repeat the question: Does the assertion that God did not decreed anything because He foresaw it as future mean the future is not completely fixed?

It is a simple question and not one Calvinist is willing to actually answer it. Go figure.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So Luke does it and you remain silent. Selective gleaning of truth.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One Calvinist view is simply that God decreed the future, and because He decreed it, He foreknew it. So the WCF point concerns sequence, God's exhaustive knowledge of the future requires by logical necessity that God first decreed that future.

If this interpretation (from a Reformed Theology Website) is correct, then this WCF point does fix the problem of God decreeing each and every sin, thus making God the author of sin.

No wonder I hear crickets rather than Calvinists. :)

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You missed the point! Ach ADMITS he is doing it but does not prove that Luke actually did it but only asserts he did it. Note that you are no better than Ach as you do the very same thing "Luke does it" and yet offer no evidence that is so!

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't respond to anyone posting long lists of single verses. Its pointless.

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, but don't accuse them of jerking texts out of context if you are not prepared to prove it! ACH admitted it and so there was no burden to prove he did. However, neither you or Ach have proved Luke jerked texts out of context but you went ahead and asserted it anyway - empty unproven assertion. He is innocent till proven guilty!

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a typical effort from Calvinists to claim Calvinism is supported from scripture. What these verses show is God can and does intervene in the circumstances occurring as He allows, and altering the outcome to conform to an outcome He has determined to bring about.

Thus they prove "A" and then Calvinism claims they prove "B."

1) God took the random arrow shot of a person, and caused the arrow to fly to the place that fulfilled God's purpose. Had God not intervened, the arrow may not have hit anyone, let alone the King, and let alone between his armor.

2) When lots are cast, either God causes the outcome or He allows the outcome, thus every outcome is "from the Lord." This verse in no way says does not ever allow a chance event.

3) In a similar fashion, each and every event that occurs in His creation, He either causes or allows. Thus a sparrow cannot fall to earth unless God allows it to occur.

Bottom line, these verses illustrate how God rules over His creation, but do not teach exhaustive determinism.

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

So you are admitting that God can decree all things by permission (evil) or good pleasure?

#73 The Biblicist, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  14. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    My problem with Ache and his friends is that I believe them to suppress the truth in unrighteousness like the text below states. It is the most vile form of ungodliness I know. Free-willism makes God into some kind of helpless spectator, Jesus an impotent beggar, and the Holy Spirit as a mere respondent to the whim of fallen mankind. It's the exact opposite of what the Bible says about our omnipotence God. He is the Potter and we are the clay. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet another arrogant cal stating only cal's are saved.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep...............................

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just because I don't doesn't mean I can't. I have better things to do with my time than to apply the proper hermeneutic to two dozen verses.

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, but we walk to the beat of different drummers because I don't make assertions that I don't at least attempt to demonstrate the truth of what I assert. If this forum just turned into assertions it would prove nothing and be a waste of time to read or engage in.

19. Monster

Monster New Member

First paragraph; that's NOT what they say. It's what you seem to infer. I've stayed out and away from the tail-chasing debates. It's bearing little fruit as far as I can tell. That personal stance doesn't make me better or superior (possibly a wimp, though, according to a few predictable characters here), it's just not worth engaging when the other side or either side is screaming too loud and too often to hear.

The opposite of your poor description would be something like... "5-pointers can only understand/comprehend a God that resides in an easily/clearly defined box of humanistic theology." Which too, is limited inference and incorrect understanding.

So I'll retreat once more to my Pollyanna view that "GOD is bigger". He's bigger than free will and dispensationlism and He's bigger than election and whatever number of points Cals would settle on.

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It would be nice to get back to debating substance and leave all this personal nit picking alone. I may not agree with many but I can say I enjoy the debates because they challenge me to think and dig and formalize my position. However, that only works when we are dealing directly with Scriptures and positions rather than persons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.