French Fries Get New Name in Congress

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by bb_baptist, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Nico New Member

Thanks again !

Well in that case, it means the same as in French... since it is where it comes from.
    That's funny how globalisation extended to every field of life: even languages exchange words with each other...

2. Nico New Member

Excellent !
    Thanks a lot Kelly !
    I had never understood before why your fries were French... since it's American companies that brought them in here (McDonald's and the likes).

3. Wisdom Seeker New Member

Nico, the English language is very peculiar in that it gets it's root in just about every country of the world....Our forfathers took a little bit of everything and made it our own. Cool eh?

In Christ,
    Laurenda

4. Nico New Member

Well, it's almost the same for every language, and we use far more English words than you use French ones (seven years ago, we even had a law that forbade to use English in advertisements, because the gvt feared our language would disappear). But the French words in English have been taken centuries ago, whereas the English ones in French or German or Korean are used for brand new products or ideas. So, since I wasn't able to find "entrepreneur" in my thirty-year-old English-French dictionary, I was just wondering if it had been taken in English just recently...

5. Wisdom Seeker New Member

Hmmm, interesting. I had to look that up in my "real" dictionary. (as opposed to my computer dictionary) It says that the word was first used in the U.S. in 1852...not very recently,

In Christ,
    Laurenda