1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fundamental Baptist Biographies

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by TheOldJudge, Jul 3, 2021.

1. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anybody recognize the name of a preacher named L. Duane Brown? If so, is there anything that can be told about him or his ministry?

An old copy of the Baptist Bulletin that I stumbled across this weekend referenced Dr. Brown publishing his memoirs sometime around 2010. The autobiography was titled My Cup Runneth Over, but I cannot find any websites that have it available.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Laurence Duane Brown was an independent Baptist pastor (New York, Iowa, New Jersey, perhaps others) and was at one time the President of Denver Baptist Bible College & Seminary (which merged into Faith Baptist Bible College & Seminary). I found only one holding of My Cup Runneth Over (2009). It is at the Murphy Library of Clarks Summit University in Pennsylvania. He may still be living, not sure. (He was still living four or five years ago.)

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About to head out to Ankeny to FBBC with my son for the "Bible Faculty Summit."

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the FBBC website, which mentions Brown has two sons on the faculty there:
    In the fall of 1985 and the early part of 1986, the Lord brought another circumstance into the picture that had bearing on the proposed seminary. During those months the boards and administrators of Faith and Denver Baptist Bible College and Theological Seminary began merger discussions. Dr. Gordon Shipp, Faith’s president, and Dr. L. Duane Brown, Denver’s president (and father of Dr. Doug and Dr. Dan Brown, current FBTS faculty members), led these deliberations. These discussions led to both boards voting in January 1986 to merge the two institutions in the fall of 1986. Since Denver already had a full M.Div. program with students needing to complete their degree, FBTS moved its opening to the fall of 1986, one year ahead of the projected date.

After extensive planning and the merger of the two institutions, Faith Baptist Theological Seminary opened for classes on September 2, 1986. The new seminary offered four degree programs: Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies, Master of Arts in Biblical Studies, Master of Arts in Theological Studies, and Master of Divinity. The Master of Arts in Religion program was added in 1987 for students who did not have a Bible college background.​

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One interesting thing about L. Duane Brown is that he designed or refined the “B.A.P.T.I.S.T.S. Acrostic” in the early 1960s, while he was the pastor of Pine Valley Baptist Church in Pine Valley (Millport), New York. He describes its origin this way:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the John L. Patten Library of Faith Baptist Bible College & Seminary (Ankeny, Iowa).

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith Baptist Bible College has such a rich history in the annals of the GARBC and late twentieth-century Northern Baptist Fundamentalism. Even now they are continuing that rich heritage, having absorbed several key personnel and a large percentage of the old Northland constituency.

This being a topic about biographies, it saddens me that none of the presidents (or other leaders) of FBBC have ever been the subject of biographies. L. Duane Brown---impossible to find though his memoirs seem to be---is the closest to a Faith president that my collection ever has the hope of possessing.

Alas! How wonderful it might be to read the testimonies of men like John Patten, David Nettleton, and Robert Domokos! The fear of losing the legacies of men of this caliber is why I am so earnest in my quest to preserve as many volumes as I can.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Update on The Man from Odd, the autobiography of Tom Wallace.

Brother Wallace met with the publisher this past Thursday. Here is his report:

"I had an excellent meeting with the editor and the word is go. They will go to work immediately. I am delighted. I don’t know how long it will take them to get it to the press. TW"

Hopefully the book will be published and released by December. It would make a great Christmas present for my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been systematically ordering the books that people on this thread recommended; however, I still have one question.

Who was Joshua Gravett? What role did he play within the Fundamentalist/Fundamental Baptist movement(s)?

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot tell you much, but here are a few bits.

Joshua Gravett was born in England in 1863; came to the US circa 1886.
    For many years he was pastor of Galilee Baptist Church in Denver, Colorado.
    He died in 1956 and is buried at the Fairmount Cemetery, Denver, Denver County, Colorado.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proclaim and Defend, a ministry of the Foundations Baptist Fellowship, International, now has a Fundamental Baptist biographies page.

Baptist History – Biographies

It is a sparse listing, but it is a good resource for those with a cursory interest in the history.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am very happy to report that I have recently received word that there is an Ernest Pickering biography in the works. Such a volume will be a blessing to read.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Duane Brown is a personal friend of mine.
    I was having lunch with him in Jan of '86.
    Dr Brown had his radio on when
    Paul Harvey announced that
    the Space shuttle had exploded.
    I knew Dr. Brown when he was the State Rep (aka CEO) of the
    Empire State Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches. At the same time he
    was also the Director of Camp Bayouca, Smithville Flats, NY.
    During the Summer of '67, I was on staff at Bayouca.
    Many stories I have with Dr. Brown! Wonderful man.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Ed Nelson went to Heaven early this morning. What a man, with a fascinating life, preaching, evangelizing, missionarying, writing, church planting, and much more.

This autobiography is unique in that Dr. Nelson admits his failures. He was larger than life, so he had some big failures: his wife had a nervous breakdown due to his overwork in the ministry, and his son broke contact with the family and has not been heard from to this day. But those failures make the book even more of a blessing. We all have failures, but God can use each one of us according to His plan.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently reading the biography of Ron Bishop, A Winning Legacy. Ron was the athletic director and basketball coach at Tennessee Temple for 10 years back in the 1970's and early 1980's before going on to found SCORE International, a sports-based evangelistic ministry. He took his team to the NCCAA final four eight times, winning the national championship four times. So he could be the top Christian college basketball coach in history.

I bought the book second hand on Amazon very cheaply, but it turned out to be an interesting read. Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Ron-Bishop-Autobiography-Winning-Legacy/dp/0978874838/ref=sr_1_2?crid=9NWJ9SCFCD9O&keywords=Ron+Bishop+by+ron+bishop&qid=1646852392&s=books&sprefix=ron+bishop+by+ron+bishop,stripbooks,67&sr=1-2

20. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is a snip from Iain Murray's book The Life Of Arthur W. Pink

The Pinks left Philly Jan. 5, 1925. "The first stage was a three days' train journey to Denver, Colorado, where Pink had to take a main part in the Rocky Mountains Bible Conference, 'speaking two or three times each day to appreciative congregations, the Lord granting us much liberty of utterance.' This was, in Pink's judgment, 'a wonderful season of blessing'. The meetings were held in Galilee Baptist Church, and, with both the pastor (Dr Gravett) and his people, the Pink's 'greatly enjoyed a week of Christian fellowship'. The same week he also addressed a gathering of Baptist pastors from the city and its suburbs on the subject of expository preaching." (pages 82,83)