Fundamentalist's Leader

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Paul33 New Member

bapmon, I like you too. And if you will still talk to me I'll listen! Thanks.

2. bapmom New Member

Hey! we're listening to each other! Cool..... :cool:

I was just razzin' ya....

3. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rhetorician.

I have my ears on, but I'm not sure what you mean. Will you please explain your idea of Fundamentalism as an institution a little more? :confused:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hi, Rhetorician.

I got your PM in my regular e-mail, but for some reason it did not show up in my account page on the BB. Thanks anyway.

I believe I understand your idea of Fundamentalism as an institution now. I'm afraid I don't know enough of the civil rights scene, etc., in America nowadays to say if the comparision is valid. For that matter, I don't know a whole lot about Fundamentalist leaders in America nowadays, other than the pastors I met on our recent furlough. Not much help, am I?

Here is my summary, though.

(1) I'm not sure IFBs were ever the monolithic group that many seem to think. Even in the 1950s there was the GARB, the BBF, the WBF, the FBG and the churches that made up the SBF (don't know when that was formed). All of them listened to some degree to Rice, Jones and others. But then the BBF guys would get offended when Rice preached against storehouse tithing--you know what I mean?! ;)

(2) My position, already stated, is that the IFB movement, after great growth of churches through the 1970's, is now in a more mature phase wherein the IFB institutions are participating in world-wide missions. Thus, IFBs don't look to individual leaders but to the harvest fields for inspiration Just since I came to the field in 1981, there have been many new mission boards (Jack Schaap of Hammond even recently started one which already has about 60 couples), ministries which help missionaries (Bearing Precious Seed and Fellowship Tract League are prime examples), schools majoring on missions (Bud Calvert's school in Fairfax, VA, for example), older Bible colleges with good missions degrees, and 1000s of new missionaries.

(3) In short, who are the IFB leaders of today? No one in general, and many in particular.

4. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paidagogos, I believe Fundametalism is already a world-wide movement. Many mission fields are sending out IFB missionaries. There are now about 120 IFB churches in Japan, supporting Japanese missionaries in Thailand, Ukraine, Indonesia, Brazil, Bangladesh, etc. Dr. Tomioka in Bangladesh is a wonderful missionary, a graduate of the Bible institute in the Kanto area where I taught for 8 years (and still teach by video). He is a splendid medical missionary, not only the only doctor at the BMM hospital there, but pastor of a church and teacher in a Bible school.

5. paidagogos Active Member

Paidagogos, I believe Fundametalism is already a world-wide movement. Many mission fields are sending out IFB missionaries. There are now about 120 IFB churches in Japan, supporting Japanese missionaries in Thailand, Ukraine, Indonesia, Brazil, Bangladesh, etc. Dr. Tomioka in Bangladesh is a wonderful missionary, a graduate of the Bible institute in the Kanto area where I taught for 8 years (and still teach by video). He is a splendid medical missionary, not only the only doctor at the BMM hospital there, but pastor of a church and teacher in a Bible school. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree--it is. However, America was its point of origin and home base (BTW, British Fundamentalism is more akin to American Evangelicalism). It may be that the international Fundamentalist movement will outstrip its American progenitor.

6. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paidagogos, I believe Fundametalism is already a world-wide movement. Many mission fields are sending out IFB missionaries. There are now about 120 IFB churches in Japan, supporting Japanese missionaries in Thailand, Ukraine, Indonesia, Brazil, Bangladesh, etc. Dr. Tomioka in Bangladesh is a wonderful missionary, a graduate of the Bible institute in the Kanto area where I taught for 8 years (and still teach by video). He is a splendid medical missionary, not only the only doctor at the BMM hospital there, but pastor of a church and teacher in a Bible school. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree--it is. However, America was its point of origin and home base (BTW, British Fundamentalism is more akin to American Evangelicalism). It may be that the international Fundamentalist movement will outstrip its American progenitor. </font>[/QUOTE]Amen and amen!

7. templeguy New Member

One major problem with fundamentalism is that they focus too much on their "leader" and place him on a pedistal.
    Seems like God would be a good nomination for leadership: he's not too busy with the fundamentalists since they do it all by themselves anyway.

8. bapmom New Member

thats funny templeguy,

since the last 8 pages just established that fundamentalism doesnt HAVE any one man as a leader.

Try not to be so judgemental, k?