1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gay Marriage Vote Nears in DC; Fight Over Religious Exemptions

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Marcia, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So as long as it doesn't affect your life, you're okay with it?

Don't you think if this passes in the U.S. Capital that it will spread faster?

Here's what people can do: any laws passed by the City Council in DC can be vetoed or made null by Congress. Congress has final say over D.C. because DC is not even as autonomous as a state.

So people can contact their Congressmen about it and ask if they will take action should this bill pass.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

correction: "The aforementioned law shouldn't change that."

It shouldn't....but it very well could.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Right.

And despite the laws passed by some states, I think this issue (of gay marriage) will eventually go to the U.S. Supreme Court. If it does, I think it has a good change of being okayed there, and thus void the state laws. If DC authorizes gay marriage, that is one step closer.

Gay marriage just does not affect marriage laws but other laws, and areas such as marriage benefits, tax benefits, property benefits, adoption, and this will all affect how Christian businesses and charities operate. I think that is partly what we are seeing here.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) No.

2) No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.