1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Go well Senator John Lewis

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Agent47, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This tribute by President Obama moved me to tears:Cry:Cry

America is a constant work in progress. What gives each new generation purpose is to take up the unfinished work of the last and carry it further - to speak out for what's right, to challenge an unjust status quo, and to imagine a better world. John Lewis - one of the original Freedom Riders, chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, the youngest speaker at the March on Washington, leader of the march from Selma to Montgomery, Member of Congress representing the people of Georgia for 33 years - not only assumed that responsibility, he made it his life's work. He loved this country so much that he risked his life and his blood so that it might live up to its promise. And through the decades, he not only gave all of himself to the cause of freedom and justice, but inspired generations that followed to try to live up to his example. Considering his enormous impact on the history of this country, what always struck those who met John was his gentleness and humility. Born into modest means in the heart of the Jim Crow South, he understood that he was just one of a long line of heroes in the struggle for racial justice. Early on, he embraced the principles of nonviolent resistance and civil disobedience as the means to bring about real change in this country, understanding that such tactics had the power not only to change laws, but to change hearts and minds as well. In so many ways, John's life was exceptional. But he never believed that what he did was more than any citizen of this country might do. He believed that in all of us, there exists the capacity for great courage, a longing to do what's right, a willingness to love all people, and to extend to them their God-given rights to dignity and respect. And it's because he saw the best in all of us that he will continue, even in his passing, to serve as a beacon in that long journey towards a more perfect union. I first met John when I was in law school, and I told him then that he was one of my heroes. Years later, when I was elected a U.S. Senator, I told him that I stood on his shoulders. When I was elected President of the United States, I hugged him on the inauguration stand before I was sworn in and told him I was only there because of the sacrifices he made. And through all those years, he never stopped providing wisdom and encouragement to me and Michelle and our family. We will miss him dearly. It's fitting that the last time John and I shared a public forum was at a virtual town hall with a gathering of young activists who were helping to lead this summer's demonstrations in the wake of George Floyd's death. Afterwards, I spoke to him privately, and he could not have been prouder of their efforts - of a new generation standing up for freedom and equality, a new generation intent on voting and protecting the right to vote, a new generation running for political office. I told him that all those young people - of every race, from every background and gender and sexual orientation - they were his children. They had learned from his example, even if they didn't know it. They had understood through him what American citizenship requires, even if they had heard of his courage only through history books. Not many of us get to live to see our own legacy play out in such a meaningful, remarkable way. John Lewis did. And thanks to him, we now all have our marching orders - to keep believing in the possibility of remaking this country we love until it lives up to its full promise. FB_IMG_1595053184217.jpg

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While lewis did much for civil rights, which was good, he was also a liberal, which was bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched him conduct a couple of hearings. He was way out of his depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily - II Cor 9:13 instructs us to be liberal!

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    will post later

#5 Salty, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did he get to be a senator? Last time I checked, he was not a U.S. Senator. I cant tell you what he was until the 30 day rule expires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A political liberal is a far cry from a Biblical one!

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was not a Senator.

9. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. The one who was a senator is the one speaking, that is, Obama.

10. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll observe the rule and say nothing of Lewis here.

But the abomination who is Obama talking of "remaking this country we love" turns the stomach, as it's too obvious what he means. Obama does not refer to improving America but rather to destroying America and all that is good about it and replacing it with an entirely different country. We're in the throes of that now, with the evil he unleashed now coming out against Trump as we approach the next election.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A good man for civil rights, but he showed how petty he could be when as a sitting elected official he chose to disrespect the office of the presidency by refusing to attend either GWB's and Donald Trump's inauguration. He should have rose to the occasion and attended them. Any respect I had for him dropped to zero when he pulled those two stunts.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets keep in mind our "Billy Graham rule" Nothing negative for 30 days.

13. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

His legacy is richer than collective legacies of whole generations of some here

14. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

His convictions couldn't allow him to dine with racists

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What has dining with racists have to do with going to an event where no food is served?

16. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When one desires respect, one should give it first. Mr. Lewis should not have made it personal, it would have been showing respect to the office, not the man from one elected official to another. We continue to remain one nation and our institutions need to be held up and respected. It's no wonder things have gotten so out of hand.

Now don't just repeat Democrat talking points, please give some examples of President Trump being a racist.

#18 Adonia, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  19. poor-in-spirit

poor-in-spirit Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let the dead memorialize their dead.

Lewis was just another trustee on the democrat welfare plantation. He was a betrayer of all blacks and was paid his whole life to keep blacks dependent upon whites. He was a tickler of lazy ears everywhere.

Like obama, he was a marionette controlled by globalists hell bent on destroying America to usher in one world government.

Another "false accuser" made to be taken and destroyed.

He understand what the word "REGRET" means now though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never cease to be amazed at how elevated the spiritual/moral/civil/generous character of a departed becomes so magnificent AFTER death!!!Confused

• Agree Agree x 1