God and TIME

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Brother Bob New Member

How about a picture of his Catholic baptism which he held to all his life? Get me a couple of them so I can post them as my avatar.

2. Jarthur001 Active Member

A picture of who? Calvin or Luther or John Wycliffe or John Huss and or one of many others...from the Catholic Church??

3. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your answer to "how are you sure" is "yes"?

4. Blammo New Member

Golly James,

Are you now admitting Calvin was raised Roman Catholic? Earlier you seemed to deny it. As usual, you are all over the place. It's obvious, from your recent posts, you have run clean out of ideas.

Remember this verse?

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

You still haven't explained to me what "whole world" means.

I think it means what it says, so, instead of asking me a question, try answering mine this time. What does "... not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." mean?

5. Rex77 Member

I have never got an answer to this verse from anyone either.

1Ti 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

6. Blammo New Member

Don't hold your breath.

7. Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Blammo,

Now I kid and joke a lot on here. I want you to know I am not kidding with this 1st point.

This is about the 3rd time you have used slang words that have a reference to God. This is off the subject, but I wish you would consider not using words such as this. Call me old-timer if you want, but it is offensive to me. I can take all the jabs you want at me and the doctrine I hold, but will not stand for using Gods name in fain. Thanks for your understanding.

Reading skills along with a book on church history may help.

I have not on this thread, but I have before. This is the idea...say on the subject.
    BTW...did you ever read up on the "big word" to tell us what it means?

We cannot address this verse unless you have a understanding of the words. I have asked you many times, to tell in your own words what it means, (the big word that is) as if I had never been in a church. To this date all you have done is replace the word with another. If you want to talk about this in detail, start a thread.

8. Jarthur001 Active Member

show me where God travels back in time. If your so sure, it must be easy to prove it with the Bible. I think people have been watching to much TV. Time travel is something that does not happen, because of what time is. For me to hold to time travel would only make my case of election stronger. But I cannot hold to bogus claims when they are not in the Bible. If you wish to hand me another tool as a Calvinist, please feel free to do so and prove time travel. If its not in the Bible, its man made.

9. David Michael Harris Active Member

AW Tozer...

The chap above wrote a small book called 'Knowledge of the Holy' it deals with the attributes of God, its a great read. You can probably get an online version but I am not sure about that.

How completely satisfying to turn from our limitations to a God who has none.​

Eternal years lie in His heart. For Him time does not pass, it remains; and those
    who are in Christ share with Him all the riches of limitless time and endless
    years. God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which He must work.
    Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves. For those out of
    Christ, time is a devouring beast; before the sons of the new creation time
    crouches and purrs and licks their hands.

Looks like there is a online version here in markup language http://www.heavendwellers.com/hdt_knowledge_of_the_holy.htm

David

10. Brother Bob New Member

David Michael Harris;
    Which chap above wrote the article, I looked but couldn't find any of the above names.

11. David Michael Harris Active Member

Ah, well the link is to the work by AW Tozer.

The quote is also from a Tozer quote.

I will check.

Thanks.

David

12. Jarthur001 Active Member

tozer wrote it

13. David Michael Harris Active Member

Yes, I believe so, I put his name in the subject title. Sorry I can be a bit cryptic at times, when I say 'above' I usually mean in the subject of the post.

I recommend reading Knowledge of the Holy, I think its quite good :)

14. Brother Bob New Member

I found it David Michael Harris;
    Thanks

15. Jarthur001 Active Member

David,

I do not think we have talked before..Tis good to meet you

Yes I knew tozer wrote this...I replied at the same time as you. My post was addressed to Bob.

I also recommend reading Knowledge of the Holy and many other of Tozer's work. I have a few of his books. I do not agree with everything, but I hardly every do. Stil, as you say...very good read.

I see your quote of a verse in Ecclesiastes. I love Ecclesiastes. To me it is the book most needed to be read by the world. With all my post on this board, one may think I like Romans the most. Romons is deep in doctrine for sure, and I love it along with Hebrews and John. I just feel the world needs more then ever before to hear and understand the message in the great book of Ecclesiastes.

In Christ...James

16. Brother Bob New Member

God sees future now

I guess the best example of God seeing the future now and not looking ahead but seeing it is most of the book of Revelation.

All the things John was shown coming to past and John saw them happening. The vials being pour out, the wrath of God, the

armigedon, a number in Heaven clothed in white that no man could number, etc. Also, James was talking about God working in

the past, present and future. God sitting on His Throne, twenty four Elders before God's throne, angel flying in the midst of

Heaven having the everlasting Gospel to preach to them that do dwell upon the earth. In Revelation it also shows John the

happenings of the past and unless God turned His head He saw them also but don't really think it would make a difference for

He was the author of them. To even try to put time on God is complete foolishness and lacks understanding. John saw the

things of the past happening, John saw the things of now happening, John saw things of the future happening. peace

17. David Michael Harris Active Member

Pleased to meet you :)

Yes its a 'timeless' book lol! It's been a great help to me.

Like you I do not agree with everything people say, even myself at times :)

No one is perfect in their words except Christ, otherwise we would have been a 'perfect Man' like our Saviour. :)

Thanks

David

18. Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Rex...tis good to meet you.

If this was addressed to me, as some would say, I overlooked it.

One way of looking at it...is that these words stand in express terms, the doctrine of general redemption...and this is what many will say. But lets look close at the context.

If these words represent God, as the Savior of all men, in that of spiritual salvation, they prove more than any other verse the universal salvation of all. To say that Christ is the Savior of all men, with respect to the impetration of salvation for all, though not to the application of them all, is a distinction which must, in part, make the death of Christ in vain.

Also..Not the possibility of salvation , nor ..a conditional one, nor ..a putting of men into a salvable state, was the intent of Paul when he says.."we toil and strive, [yes and] suffer reproach". This surly is not salvation, for then it would be works salvation. For then they that believe, would be in an uncertain state..always working and not knowing. Yet it is shown in the the Bible (2 cor 5)...It is certain that he that believeth shall be saved.

Besides, if God is the Savior of all men, in the sense of eternal salvation, then he must be the Savior of unbelievers, contrary to many passages of the Bible..... such as John 3:18, 36, Mark 16:16, Revelation 21:8.

The words are best looked at as providential of God.. Preserver.... which all men have a share in, more or less. God the Father and not Christ, is here called the living God, who is the Savior of all men, that is, the preserver of all men....who supports them in their being.... and supplies them with all the necessaries of life....and especially them that believe, who are the particular care of his providence.

In Christ James

19. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The burden of proof falls on you. You claimed "you were sure", so you need to provide Scripture backing your claim...not me.

Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

20. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

James, weren't you the one the claimed YHWH traslated "literally" was "I shall (will) be" instead of "I Am"? Can you tell me in what tense "shall / will" is? If anyone holds to the "now" theory, it would be you.