1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God elects the sinner; the sinner does not elect God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Aug 2, 2022.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    *Ephesians 1:3-14*

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

*Ephesians 2:1-5*

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

2. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silverhair, you are the last person at the BB to ever talk about context as you constantly ignore context. If you paid attention to context you would repent of your teachings.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has nothing explicitly to do with election.

Besides I agree the election is God's and not by means of man's choice.

4. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin you are the last person that should be saying that. I have posted numerous texts and asked you to point out where they do not fit the context. You have yet to reply once. You may think posting twenty verses proves your point but if what you are trying to prove is not proven by all those verses what good was it do that. Quantity is of no valve if there is not quality.

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am the first who can say that as you have purposely left out verses in Ephesians 1 to make a false assertion about vs 13... out of context. You repeatedly have quoted snippets. In fact, you once quoted only half a sentence to try make a claim.
    Silverhair, you disregard context with nearly every post you provide. It's your modus operandi. When you attempt to play a context card with the Bible, it's laughable because you so often abuse and neglect context in your posts. So...please stop with the context claim when you are the biggest culprit.

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I provided the scripture you requested.

*Romans 8:28-39*

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

8. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still refuse to deal with the posts where I have asked you to show where the posts I made, according to you, did not fit the context. Why is that Austin? I do not need to post twenty verses at a time to refute what you write.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is not about the election.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incorrect. Sheep never become goats. Goats never become sheep. When God chose His elect before the world began, the number of the saved was set. And it is my belief that at some point after God regenerates and brings to Christ in faith and repentance of dead works the last of those chosen before the world began, that Christ will return, get rid of this present heavens and earth, and establish the new heavens and earth wherein dwells righteousness(2 Peter 3:10-13).

I will share a link to a free, short book(available to read or download as a pdf file) that I found to be quite beneficial, written by the pastor of Eager Avenue Grace Church in Albany, Georgia, whom I feel honored to be able to count as a friend whom I benefitted from hearing in person a couple of months ago at the Grace Baptist Church of Ruston Bible conference, as well as on a weekly basis via Sermon Audio for around a year.

What is Salvation? A Biblical Study of God's Greatest Gift SKU-000697434_TEXT.indd (b5z.net)

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Due to being either sheep or goats will determine how they can or will respond to Gospel, as goats shall not will themselves to now become sheep!

12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, I pointed them out in those threads. You go dig for them. Your forgetfulness is not my problem.

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mat_25:32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.
    Mat_25:33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.
    Luk_15:29 So he answered and said to his father, 'Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends.
    Heb_9:12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
    Heb_9:13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,
    Heb_9:19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people,
    Heb_10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.
    Heb_11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented—

That is the eight times that we see goats in the text of the NT {NKJV}. Where do you get your idea that goats can not become sheep, it's not in the bible so you must have gotten it from some false teacher.

Would be better if you stuck with the bible rather then those teachers as they seem to be leading you astray.

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just can not deal with them can you so you just try to pass it off. You can not show where what I posted did not fit the context. Quite telling actually.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I proved your posts were not in context. I went through Ephesians 1:3-14 and showed you your error. You simply reject the context and point only toward vs 13 as if it lived in isolation.
    Any claims of context from you are a joke. You don't want context because it constantly proves you wrong.

16. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin you have shown me what you consider to be proof and all I see is your Calvinistic view. We will continue to disagree on most things. You want to hold to your philosophical understanding of scripture that is your choice. But do not think that you have the market on understanding scripture. The vast majority of Christians down through history have rejected your view and I would say with good reason. But since you've been determined to hold to it then I would surmise that you will continue to do so.

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep denying what God says if you wish.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you get your idea that goats can become sheep? There is no Biblical support for such a view. It makes man sovereign over his own salvation. The Bible clearly teaches that God is absolutely totally sovereign over His creatures, not the other way around.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calling oneself a Christian doesn't make it so, except in some cultural sense or very broad sense from a human viewpoint. Only God's elect, chosen before the world began, are truly Christians in a salvific sense.