1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God is absolute.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, Dec 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, God specifically picks a portion of clay to mold for honorable use, and specifically choses another for common use. His acts are deliberate, according to His will. There is nothing arbitrary about it. Nothing that God does is arbitrary.

Once again, scripture tells us God choses according to the kind intention of His will, for His purpose.

We shouldn’t go beyond what scripture says about “why” God choses. We can’t say there is anything special about us in His choice, lest we nullify His grace.

We also shouldn’t, as you are doing, claim God doesn’t act in a deliberate, purposeful manner to bring about salvation to those He chose before the foundation of the world.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are cherry-picking Paul. Remember, God hated Esau and loved Jacob before they did either good or bad.

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Hating” and “loving” are not arbitrary acts.

peace to you

4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    God hates sinners. But His glory is at the highest level when He sets His love on those worthless He selected, paying for their sins in Christ, so He can bless them as though they never sinned. If He saw anything in you worth saving, you would share His glory. But He assures you, the faith He gave you proves you are a vessel of mercy.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you ignore my point that “hating” and “loving” are not arbitrary acts (which directly addresses your statement concerning Esau and Jacob) and move to disprove something I never stated (that God saw something in me and based His choice on that).

This is one reason it is impossible to have an intellectually honest conversation with you.

I’ll leave you to it.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Esau and Jacob prove God's arbitrary choice in the damnation and the salvation of those He made.

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the conversation.

peace to you

8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should look into this. It's the most precious understanding of God's word I'm glad to share with you.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe you have considered fully the implications of what you are saying.

You say that there is a lump of people. Ou of this lump God arbitrarily chooses some to fashion as vessels of mercy, these merit no mercy.

BUT in the passage God (the Potter) carefully fashions vessels of wrath out of the same lump.

The logical conclusion is the condemned do not merit condemnation but were arbitrarily chosen as vessels of wrath.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. That is not what any of us us saying.

We know our righteousness was as "filthy rags".

We are saying your desire to know the mind of God beyond what is revealed in Scripture is inappropriate. There s no need to knock down God by declaring His work in salvation "arbitrary" in order to make sure man remains in his place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are saying if you cannot understand this theme, nobody can. But we are just touching on it. There is a complete study in Supralapsariqnism and Infralapsarian the Reformers knew well that would do us good to grasp.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    They merit mercy because Christ paid for their sins. But Universal atonement cannot support this conclusion. Only Limited Atonement can.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m always ready to be convinced to change my mind based on scripture. Your understanding is not biblical, therefore cannot be precious.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not understand these basic topics Protestants held dear.

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is just fine, thank you very much.

If you can point to any Protestant scholar that agrees with you that God’s work is arbitrary, please provide the reference.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did He save you? A straight answer will settle it.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe the saved merit mercy because Christ died for their sins? How is this something we earned????

Your claim was that we do not merit mercy (which was correct), but the logical conclusion to your interpretation of Paul's illustration is the lost do not merit condemnation (which is incorrect).

You are confusing things here....jumping all around. I never challenged limited atonement (that is a strawman on your part).

Calvinists believe limited Atonement correct, but Calvinists do not believe God elected arbitrarily (Calvinism keeps this within the unknowable aspects of God).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really (and I am not sure why you being Limited vs Universal Atonement up here).

I, like you, disagree with Calvinism but for different reasons.

You disagree because Calvinism concludes election decreed by God, never arbitrarily but unknowable to man.

My disagreement is stronger because while you reject a portion of Calvinism I reject Calvinism and Arminianism entirely.

The funny thing is we both end up able to agree with the 5 points if we define how we get there.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve already answered directly, you just can’t or won’t accept the answer.

Give a reference to a Protestant scholar that taught God acts arbitrarily concerning salvation. If you can’t, apologize for misrepresenting your position as being “precious” to, or “held dear”, by Protestants.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the limited atonement sense, Christ bought us which means are Christ's body. We have Christ's own value imputed to us.

We deserve all that He deserves. Even though we are worthless in Adam.

So God arbitrarily divided the worthless lump of sinners in Adam, arbitrarily assigning some to Salvation in Christ to glorify His mercy. While leaving the rest in Adam's sin to display His wrath.

The beauty of this is, if you are a believer, is that we had nothing to do with our damnation in Adam. Nor did we have anything to do with our salvation in Christ.

Only those who understand the doctrine of limited atonement can understand this. It does not fit with universal atonement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.