1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God's existence

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jul 10, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What scripture are you basing this belief on?

#61 freeatlast, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  2. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

Hebrews 1:1-2 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.

Psalm 90:1-2 A Prayer of Moses, the man of God. Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations. 2 Before the mountains were born Or You gave birth to the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sorry, I asked the question incorrectly. Yeshua1 is saying that there was a time when nothing was but God. I was asking what scripture he was basing that on.

4. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

Free,

The passage I quoted from Psalm 90 alludes to that. Before God created anything there was God. Genesis 1:1 does the same thing if it is understood logically. "In the beginning God created..." The beginning creates a condition rooted in time. What existed before that condition? If we look at the whole breadth of scripture we see a self-sufficient, all powerful, and eternally existent God. I believe that presents a preponderance of evidence in favor of God existing by Himself pre-creation. If God is the creator of all there is then there must have been time when God was all there was.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I just don't get that from those passages.

6. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

That is okay.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I accept that the creation was not around prior to what we have now, but not that that God was all alone for eternity past until He created what we see.

8. Ceegen

Ceegen New Member

Why can't it, if God so chooses it to be so?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Because he gives us a clear understanding what a day is right off the bat in Genesis (evening and morning were the first day)

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Try this section:
    16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
    18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

11. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

God is the creator of all there is. God is completely self-satisfied. He does not need anything outside of Himself for any reason whatsoever. God is self-sustaining. All these things are true about God. If God is the creator of all there is, is it not reasonable to assume that there was a time when all there was was God? If you answer "no" then you create a conundrum for yourself. You are basically saying that God did not create all there is, that somehow there was something else in existence besides God.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree that anything that is came from Him, but I am also saying that there is no reason to believe that God existed alone in nothingness prior to this creation for all eternity past.

13. Ceegen

Ceegen New Member

So, how many "days" was it before God decided to create the light, and divide it from the darkness? Before that point, what was time?

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

God does not need to have a sun and stars to determind the length of time. 6 Literal days in creation. There is no long periods of time in the passage. No one EVER sat down and read the Gen. account for the first time or any time for that matter and came away thinking long periods of time based on what is written.

15. Ceegen

Ceegen New Member

I sat down and read it thinking it wasn't just a literal day.

"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." - 2 Peter 3:8 (KJV).

I also don't think that a literal snake talked to Eve.

"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." - Revelation 12:9 (KJV).

Why do I think these things?

Matthew 13:
    34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
    35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Alright so you want to add 1000 years to each day of creation. So now you have a creation that is 12,000 years old instead of 6000. How does that change this from being a young creation?
    And why don't you believe that a literal serpent spoke to Eve? A donkey spoke to a man so why not a serpent?

#76 freeatlast, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Hof ??

Why is God referred to as Hof in this quote.

18. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it assumed on this thread that God did not ever create before this current heaven and earth? Perhaps I am misreading some of the posts.

When did God create the land that He caused to emerge from the water?

Does the Scripture ever say just when the land and water were created?

Doesn't this very scene show that the creation was in existence before the first day?

Is it assumed that in all of eternity before our time reckoning and after our time reckoning that God was but didn't create?

Just because the Scriptures pull the curtain up in Genesis 1 and shuts the curtain at the end of the last Amen of the Revelation, doesn't mean that one of the great attributes of God (being the creator) is exhausted.

19. Ceegen

Ceegen New Member

What changes if the earth is 12,000 years old instead of 6,000? God still created it, right?

Because Satan was in the Garden of Eden, whispering in Eve's ear, to get her to DOUBT GOD. That's the whole point. Satan isn't an innocent bystander! He actively takes part in rebellion towards God!

Did the donkey speak of its own volition?

"And the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?" - Numbers 22:28.

No, God did it to get Balaam's attention.

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never was aware until just this thread that the donkey of Balaam was female.

Because "all Scripture is given..." I wonder if that has some significance?
    The part about the donkey being female, not me being unaware. :)