God's Providence and Bible Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Sep 3, 2021.

1. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our first students in the MA in Bible Translation were the two young men who went to Cameroon with me. (I just looked at the pictures--forgot about the other.) Both have now graduated. One of them has gone on to work on an MDiv, but the other is actually preparing to join a translation effort in Africa. He will lead the effort, I believe, though the main work is done by the Africans. In particular, he will train them in the original languages of the Bible.

2. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We also had a brilliant young lady as one of the first students in the program. She did an awesome internship for a whole summer in India with an established translation team there. Her reports were inspiring and detailed. She finally graduated, and we had great hope for her future work in missionary translation. Then one of our non-translation seminary grads courted her and won her heart. They now serve God together here in the States in a church where he is the assistant pastor.

So, sometimes God's providence takes us in unexpected directions, but His plan is always best. Maybe he will use that young couple to send more future translators our way.

In the meantime, I have the final proofreading corrections for the book of Philippians from our NASA scientist proofreader Dr. K. (you can't make this stuff up, folks!), and our final editor wants to publish the first edition of the entire NT before the year is done. Next week Dr. K. will be here and we will discuss my plan for him to be my co-translator on the OT, since Uncle Miya is in Heaven now. (We have 66 of the Psalms done in a first draft.) And 11,000 more "John and Romans" have arrived in Japan, bringing the total for that edition up close to 100,000. Praise the Lord!

3. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Currently we have three students in this MA program. There is our Persian, who is already translating Genesis into Farsi. He learned that the Trinitarian Bible Society already had an acceptable Farsi NT, but needed an OT.

This amazing man already has an active ministry broadcasting by radio and TV into the countries that speak Farsi, reaching a potential of millions!

Then there is our brilliant German lady. She speaks excellent English, and got the highest grades ever in my Greek class. We don't know what language she will translate into someday, and can't wait to find out.

Finally, there is the brilliant son of our missions pastor, just starting. His dream is to start church planting movements in Asia, and he already has some experience along with his Dad and others here doing that in Africa.

4. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before closing this narrative, I want to thank the denizens of the BB. Many of you have challenged and grown me on this particular forum, "Bible Versions and Translations." Kudos to Rippon in particular. We were usually on opposite sides, but back in the day he made me think and work through things quite a few times.

Just a few minutes ago, Dr. K., my NASA scientist friend, was in my office and we talked for a short while about translating Psalms. He has two sons in our college, and regularly comes up for events. One of the boys is currently doing well in my Greek 101 class, which the other one aced last school year.

Uncle Miya and I got about 30 of the Psalms into a first draft before he went to Heaven, and since then I've been working on them until I'm now on Psalm 67. (I know, I need to up the pace; I'm no spring chicken any more.) Dr. K. is my new partner for the OT. No one can replace Uncle Miya, but then again Dr. K. is brilliant in a unique way too, so I thank the Lord for this new partnership.

Keep on keeping on, all of you who are interested in Bible translation. God is at work.

5. Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,
    I have enjoyed reading your narrative: God's Providence and Bible Translation. Thank you for sharing.
    Bob

6. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple more photos. This is the John and Romans parallel version designed for the Tokyo Olympics. Though our folk were not able to get there because of Covid restrictions, some were still printed.

7. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to do it!