1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Good Books on Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 21, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a book that is based right from acts. Funny it's written from a Reformed POV.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By reading the gospel according to Jesus and comparing and looking up the scriptures he cites.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Could you tone it down a notch please Evan? Yes, there is totally a way to do that on the iPad. It's called PDF Expert and while it's $10, it is well worth getting. My daughter is a doctoral student in audiology and she has to mark up a LOT of PDFs of articles that are in no other form than digital and she's marked those puppies to within an inch of their digital life. If you don't want to pay for anything, Adobe Reader app now allows annotations - stickies, underlining, highlighting and the like. If you'd like to look through more, you can find a whole list here: http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/pdf-annotation

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Fantastic little book!! Our senior pastor gave it to all of the pastors at our church and I've read it myself. :) Here it is in free PDF form: http://www.discipleshiplibrary.com/pdfs/aa094.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another classic book on soul-winning is Evangelism Explosion, by James Kennedy, a Presbyterian. This book is copyrighted 1970, but by the 6th edition (what I have) the very next year it had sold 105,000. All in all it is a good book to have on the subject, especially for a pastor, since it is designed to be used in training believers to win souls.

The basic design of the book is based on complete personal evangelism experiences Dr. Kennedy has written out, with many helps for different problems and questions the prospect has. There are also chapters on "The Proper Use of Testimony," "Handling Objections," "Do's and Don'ts," and so forth, with an excellent follow-up program in the last chapter.

One interesting thing is that Ray Comfort may have been influenced strongly by this book, which is included in Comfort's "Suggested Reading" list at the end of Hell's Best Kept Secret" (along with some other books that disagree completely with Comfort's method--go figure :Rolleyes). The reason I say that is that Comfort uses "Four principles of selling" in his book (Ch. 8) and Kennedy uses the "Five Laws of Selling" (pp. 58-60 in his book). To be fair, though, the two sets of principles are somewhat different.

Again, Kennedy uses the law somewhat, though not nearly as much as Comfort. And Kennedy does not require the use of the law in his method, as does Comfort.

I do have one caveat to recommending Kennedy's book, and that is that openly requires the prospect to accept Jesus as Lord as part of the deal (p. 53), long before John MacArthur wrote about the subject--but that will be all to the good for some of you. :Cool

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not try outthe Bible Acts though? As it is inspired!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He might not be interpreting the verses though correctly!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing how many times the classic ones are still best!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We hae used tat book in chuch evangelism course, good book! He was reformed, held to election, but he witnesses just as much as any "free will" did!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to shift gears a little with this post, and mention Communicating Christ Cross-Culturally, by missiologist David Hesselgrave (Zondervan, 1978). Hesselgrave is, IMO, the leading missiologist of the 20th century, and I promise that my opinion is not based on the fact that he was a missionary to Japan for 12 years. :Inlove

Here is a sample quote: "In every case care should be exercised in selecting culturally appropriate expressions of God's message to man. Let the polytheist be told of the power of Christ, not just to save souls, but to subdue all things to himself. let him hear that the 'unknown God' has revealed Himself to men. Let the Confucianist know that the only superior Man is the Son of God and Savior of men who recreates men and makes them into better husbancs, wives, children, friends, and citizens. Let the Muslim see that God is love and hear why God can be just and the Justifier of the one who believes in Jesus. Let our Jewish friend hear once again that Christians believe that God still has a great future for them as a people and that a new day will dawn for any Jew who will look long enough at Jesus of Nazereth to see who He really is. All of this is, of course, oversimplified and somewhat redundant. But if it is also suggestive, it serves a purpose" (p. 137).

I highly recommend this book to all missionaries, and to anyone else involved in a cross-cultural ministry: to Hispanics, deaf, immigrants, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point, as we must alway remember that we are to present Jesus of the Bible, not the one that is american only edition!

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And must give out real Gospel, as American version too manytimes is that damnable wof/health/wealth junk, that works only here in America!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another classic: How to Give Away Your Faith, by Paul E. Little. This was first published in 1966 by InterVarsity, but my copy is from the 13th printing in 1973. If a book has been through 13 printings in just 6 years, you know it must be good.

Here's some common sense wisdom: "I personally believe that parading along the sidewalk in a sandwich board which reads in large, scrawly letters, 'I'm a Christian. Ask me.' is not the Lord's method. He did not call us to become oddballs.... As soon as the average onlooker who might be attracted by the Christian message sees an oddball Christian, he thinks, if that's the typical behavior of a Christian I'd better forget all about Christianity"" (p. 34).

Here is a quote about his approach: "These, then, are our seven principles--see and know non-Christians personally; establish a mutual interest in conversation; arouse a person's interest by life and word; gear explanations to his receptiveness and readiness for more; accept and even compliment rather than condemn; stay on the track; and persevere to the destination" (p. 44).

Oddly enough, Ray Comfort includes this book in his "Suggested Reading" at the end of Hell's Best Kept Secret, even though it completely ignores using the law in it's presentation of the Gospel. Comfort is truly inconsistent.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be remiss if I did not mention a little volume from 1979, The Making of a Soul Winner. ;) There are stories of a great soul winner, stories of the author's soul winning, and some original Scriptural research showing how each believer should witness for Christ. The last chapter is practical advice on how to become a soul winner. It sold 6000 copies at the time, and there are second hand books available at Amazon.

See the book at:

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For you Calvinists (and everyone else, too), I recommend Spurgeon's The Soul Winner as one of the classics. It is still in print today after over 100 years, and also available in various e-books.

The book does not give a particular method, but instead gives great encouragement to be separated from sin and worldly amusements, be totally dedicated to Christ, be diligent to witness and preach Biblically and evangelistically, and pay the price necessary to become a soul winner. Here is a representative quote: "A fisherman who gets his living by it is a diligent and persevering man. The fishers are up at dawn. At day-break, our fishermen off the Dogger-bank are fishing, and they continue fishing till late in the afternoon. As long as hands can work, men will fish. May the Lord Jesus make us hard-working, persevering, unwearied fishers of men!" (p. 292-293 in my edition).

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon and Kennedy examples of one can hold to Calvinism and also be into soul winning, as think many missionaries efforts were by Calvinists in the past, correct?
    They did not hold to "God knows His elect, so why preach?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right.

Now, one last book by a Calvinist, Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, by J. R. Packer. This is more of a theological book than a "how to" book. He especially opposes the hyper-Calvinism that says, "God will elect people to be saved, so we don't have to worry about witnessing to them." Here is a representative quote: "The belief that God is sovereign in grace does not affect the urgency of evangelism. Whatever we may believe about election, the fact remains that men without Christ are lost, and going to hell" (p. 98).

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus commanded us to preach/teach Him to all, regardlessi elect or not!
    God knows wo will get saved, but we do not!

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer the books "Tell the truth" by Will Metzger or "Today's evangelism" by Ernest Reisinger.