1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP bill would ease enforcement of political activity by churches

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rlvaughn, Jul 26, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GOP bill would ease enforcement of political activity by churches

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not endorse candidates. I had some church members mad at me because I would not endorse Trump. We can preach on the issues without endorsing political candidates who may at some time fail.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cinnamon Apples

Cinnamon Apples New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's hope this passes.
    Atheist activist groups are using the current prohibition of political speech from the pulpit to bully churches and for some time now.
    Notice they don't pursue that activity that occurs in mosques?

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not endorse candidates, and recommend pastors stay out of that business. On the other hand, I also think it is none of the government's business if a pastor or church chooses to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Politics has no business in the church... The duty of any pastor is to preach Jesus Christ and him crucified... Politics and the pulpit are not yokefellows... Those are my thoughts... During church is one thing, after church is a different matter, or is it?... Brother Glen:)

Malachi 3:16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but my point is that each church, rather than our government, should decide what is the business of the church. That is why we have "Congress shall make no law..."

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should a pastor preach for/against:

(In alphabetical order)

1) Abortion
    2) Balance budget
    3) Death Penalty
    4) English as the Official language
    5) Global Warming
    6) Immigration - ie deporting illegals
    7) Mandatory maternity leave
    8) Marriage - one man -one women
    9) Obamacare
    10) Public education
    11) Second Amendment
    12) Serving in the Military
    13) Social Security
    14) Taxpayer funded child care
    15) Term limits
    16) UN out of the US
    17) Welfare/food stamps, ect

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 & #8 are fair targets to be addressed from the pulpit. Though, preachers in following Our Lord's admonition to Peter in the last chapter of John and feed His sheep a balanced diet. Majoring on 1 & 8 would lead to an unbalanced diet.

#8 Squire Robertsson, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you Brother Robert, Revmitchell, Salty, and The Squire are all pastors and I am not, I will let you Christian brethren hash it out... This was just my thoughts from the pew... I shall kindly excuse myself from this discussion and watch from the sidelines... Brother Glen:)

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tyndale - would you want your pastor to preach on any of the items listed back on post# 7? Are there any, that you would have a discussion with him - that "lets stay away from that"

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Note: lack of statement does not necessary mean I am for or against mentioning it in from the pulpit.

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I ever claim to be a "pastor"? Preacher and teacher at times and undergradute pastoral training, yes. But to formally hold the office of pastor, no.

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me a minister and pastor are the same thing... In our church you could also be an Elder or a preacher... I got this off your profile page... Maybe you need to explain it to me... Brother GlenConfused

Minister of The Gospel and Squire of Lower Ducis A

14. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my circle, "pastor" denotes serving a particular congregation in a specified capacity. IOW, a pastor must be a minister. But, a minister is not necessarily a pastor.

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not know The Old Line Primitive Baptist mindset... A Preachers, preaching better be about the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ... I was raised in a Sovereign Grace Primitive Baptist Church and the dear saints I was privileged to worship with wanted to hear about their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ... They know all about the outside world and don't want to be reminded of it... I heard a preacher get off topic one time and one the brothers comment, he's stopped preaching and gone to meddling... I heard a story of another one who got into the pulpit and said, I don't what I'm going to preach about this morning or how long?... One old sister in the congregation piped in and said... Speak about Jesus for 15 minutes, then sit down... You asked the question, would I want my pastor to speak on any of the subjects mentioned in post 7?... Only number 8... The rest I think we can discuss over coffee in the kitchen or during lunch... We may be in the world but not of the world... Btw Salty... I can tell you have never been in an Old Line Primitive Baptist Church... Don't take my word for it... All I can say is... Come And See... Brother Glen:)

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have only been to one Primitive Bap -in Atlanta, GA; they were having a revival - - but that was back in 1971 - so long ago - I have no ideal what the message was about.

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tyndale, I definitely do not travel in OPB circles. I do, however, live in Metro San Francisco. So, subject #8 gets referred to from time to time from the pulpit. Most regularly around the G*y Pride Parade which massively disrupts the traffic making it hard for us to get to Sunday morning services.

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist

19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must have been the Black brethren and they could have been Progressives... Maybe Brother Robert can back me up on this, I know Primitive Baptist were very active in Texas in 1971, I had kinfolk back there... Primitive Baptist Associations or what we call 5th Sunday meetings I've heard of, but never a revival... Then again there are all factions of Baptist, even Primitive Baptist... Brother Glen:)

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No - was a white church - guessing over 100 in attendance -- was a weekday night.