Government to pastor: Renounce your faith!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by hillclimber1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is always important to remember that American values, as, for example, enshrined in the Constitution, do not necessarily line up with Scriptural ones. And this is certainly the case with "freedom of speech". As seemingly understood my many Americans (and others), "freedom of speech" is not really a Scriptural value - God imposes clear restrictions on freedom of speech that are more restrictive than the American model would sustain.

2. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ACLU cares nothing about our Constitution.

3. KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they do, regardless of what you believe, Pastor Mitchell.

4. KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The United States is not a theocracy.

5. Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you not think it should be? Why would a Christian order the totality of his internal life one way, placing the pursuit of God at the top of the list, and yet support organizing a society through the application of secular values.

I think that, all things considered, the best option is democracy with no separation of church and state. So if the majority want Christian values and theology enshrined in law, then so be it. If not, then not.

6. KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely not. We have freedom of religion and should keep it that way.

If the government favors one religion today, it may favor another religion tomorrow.

7. Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why? Why should the government not promote one religion over another. Certainly, we know that God instituted a form of governance where there was no "freedom of religion":

If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, “Let us go and serve other gods,” . . . you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him.8

I am not suggesting that we implement this. But it does show that God, if you take Scriptures seriously, once chose to order a society without freedom of religion.

This may not prove anything, but it certainly suggests that the position that "freedom of religion" needs to be carefully examined, always remembering not to confuse specifically American cultural values (or those of any nation) with scriptural ones.

I personally do believe that people should have the right to follow whatever religion they wish. But I do think it would be better if Christianity became the "state religion" of all nations, through democratic means of course.

Christianity will eventually be the "state religion" for all. Perhaps we better get used to that.

8. Dragoon68 Active Member

No matter how you cut it the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission is a government agency. On their own web site they state "The Commission is an independent Commission of the Government of Alberta reporting through the Minister of Culture and Community Spirit, who has responsibility for human rights issues."

Stephen Boisson's letter was very well written. The intervention and subsequent actions of his government including a fine and a restraining order to prevent further communication are the problems that the original article addressed.

9. Dragoon68 Active Member

The world is plauged by sin and disease is a consequence of it. Homosexual conduct is one of those plauges that cause much suffering among mankind. We should work to erradicate sin in our own lives, our families, and our communities - if we care about them - all to the glory of the Lord.

Christians shouldn't give homosexual conduct a free pass just because some want it to be a hate crime to stand boldly and firmly against it. Boisson is an example - increasingly rare - of a preacher that had the courage to say what needs to be said. I pray there will be more like him.

10. donnA Active Member

If the government were to promote one religion, it would not be Christianity, Jesus said the world hates Him, and so would hate us too. Reminds me of when RCC was the official religion, and those who beleived scripture were killed for it.