1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Greear's 'Sexual Abuse in the SBC' Investigators Get First Dibs on Extra CP $$$

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bpnews.net/51616/blog-sbc-executive-committee-meeting

"the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention, on behalf of the Convention ad interim, approve setting aside the first $250,000 of Cooperative Program Allocation Budget receipts in excess of the 2017-18 Cooperative Program Allocation Budget goal to provide two years of funding for the SBC president's initiative....expenditures related to this initiative be administered by the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission"

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, they are wasting mission money on sex abuse training, Patterson still gets screwed but prayed for, and J.d. says Calvinism debate is not important.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greear's Sexual Abuse Advisory Study underway

"Southern Baptist Convention President J.D. Greear's Sexual Abuse Advisory Study is now 'actively involved' in phase one of its two-year process, the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission announced Sept. 19 following appropriation of $250,000 for the study by the SBC Executive Committee."

"The study will receive the first $250,000 of overage for the 2017-2018 Cooperative Program Allocation Budget, according to a Sept. 18 EC vote. Expenditures for the study will be administered by the ERLC, a partner with Greear in the initiative....ERLC President Russell Moore told Baptist Press in written comments, 'It was a joy to see on display this week at Executive Committee meetings such generosity and unity in mission. I am deeply thankful that the SBC Executive Committee showed their commitment to the Sexual Abuse Advisory Study by providing these resources.'"

EC interim president D. August Boto thanked CP-funded convention entities for sacrificing funds for the study....'funding originates at the local church level where believers contribute their tithes and offerings, and then vote to support ministry through the Cooperative Program,' Boto said in written comments. 'In other words, this effort is truly one supported by all Southern Baptists.'"

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good use of CP dollars. The SBC (like all denominational groups) needs to work out a system for identifying sexual predators and ensuring the safety of those in churches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that a function of the local church and not the denomination?

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should be.

7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Waste of money.

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could say the same thing about appointing missionaries, doing theological education, and many other things. There is no reason that churches cannot voluntarily work together for this purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you have never had to help people heal from sexual abuse. Those of us who have know that any money spent to prevent abuse is worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Identifying sexual predators is already done via local governments, the states, and at the Fed. The SBC doing it is just a redundancy. In other words a waste of money. Even so let's justify a waste of money by throwing the emotion of sex abuse into it. Works every time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. But why do you oppose another level of review? Sexual predators look for opportunities to find new victims in religious organizations. There are quite a few sexual predators in the SBC. Many of them go unreported because churches are afraid of scandal.

What is wrong with policing our own house? We've done a terrible job of it as a denomination. I know of four extremely serious situations in churches where I have been a member and , because of our autonomy, important information does not get passed to other churches unless someone takes the initiative. Baptists could work cooperatively together to better manage the situation and develop resources for people who have been abused.

If you think sexual abuse is about "emotion," you just don't get it. Do you know anyone who has been sexually abused in a church setting? It doesn't sound like it.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal thinking. Lets just spend $14 Trillion on it then. It is not the job of the convention. It is the job of the individual church.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do. It is the local church's job to appoint and ordain missionaries.

I do. Christian education is the local church's job.

I have no problem with voluntary cooperation. But as it now stands I have no idea what the convention people are planning to do. I have never liked a pig in a poke. :)

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My problem with anyone other than law enforcement doing the investigation is that those private party investigations more likely than not result in coverups "for the good of the ministry."

The very first thing to do is call 911, then get out of the way and let law enforcement do their job.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's no need to spend $14 trillion. They have set aside a modest amount of money as a budget to work out ways to make things better.

The convention is made of individual churches. Individual churches can work together in cooperation to do something without violating autonomy.

16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If $250k is good, 14 trillion is better. It is not the job of the convention. It is the job of individual churches.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. And churches can work together to perform the same function.

It is. But churches can work together to provide a higher standard of education at a lower cost and efficiency. Moreover, ministers in training can receive the benefit of the wisdom of many different churches instead of just one.

I don't either. That's why it is called a "study."

I agree.

I agree as well.

Attached Files:

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it's not. It is a study. They don't need trillions for a study.

Yes, I heard you before. If you don't like it, don't be a cooperating Southern Baptist.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a kind of uncooperative southern baptist. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too. Seems like most of the cooperation is cooperating with your faction in the fight. Its one fight to the next to the next to the next in the SBC.