1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gun Control

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by evangelist6589, Dec 17, 2012.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You hit the nail on the head. And yes, every time the subject comes up on here, it does descend to absurdity.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's fairly safe to say that had the teachers, administrators, counselors, janitors, security personnel been armed the death toll would have been only a small fraction of what it is.
    What is an "assault weapon?" "Assault" is a verb, not an adjective. It is something you DO not something you own. Just about anything can be used to commit assault. A baseball bat, a kitchen knife, a rolled up newspaper.

Now, if by "assault weapon" you meant "military type weapon" then there is a HUGE reason to own them, especially in times such as these. Please read this article http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm which deals with the intent of the framers of the Constitution when they wrote the second amendment. Note in the article the historic statements made by George Mason, Noah Webster, Tench Coxe and others regarding the purpose of the second amendment in no uncertain terms.
    Well, you may be a hunter but I don't think you have a very good understanding of firearms. Firstly a "clip" is not used in any military style weapons nor any weapons of any sort in common usage. The word you are looking for is "magazine." Modern rifles and pistols are magazine fed.

Secondly, the term "assault weapons" has already been addressed.
    With this I can agree. We must be much more aggressive in identifying, diagnosing and treating mental illness.
    The problem is that the SCOTUS released all patients held against their will in mental institutions who could not be conclusively proven to be a danger to themselves or others. And when that happened such institutions passed pretty much out of existence. Fully 1/3 of prisoners incarcerated in this country suffer from some sort of mental illness and are largely left untreated, paroled, and re-offend. :)

#22 TCassidy, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Mr. Cassidy just pointed out: Those that are for banning "assault weapons," please be specific and identify those weapons.

Because if you don't, anything can be defined--or re-defined--as an "assault weapon."

So don't just tell us you support banning assault weapons, or military-type weapons; tell us exactly what you're identifying as assault or military-type weapons.

Because I'll bet ya a dollar, most of you don't know what you're talking about.

4. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

No it wouldn't. Btw I've been around guns since I was a baby and I've never had the faintest desire to go shoot up some place.
    The depravity of man alone is to blame here.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

"What America can learn from Switzerland is that the best way to reduce gun misuse is to promote responsible gun ownership."
    I wish that everyone, on both sides of this debate, would read this article, in full. There are a lot of important, IMO, points in it that address many issues, from family to suicide rates and gun control.

http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

You've nailed one of the underlying problems that's resulting in what we see happening today. Not only from national head-line grabbing events either. At the local level, families are being torn apart due to the destructive forces at play with outpatient treatment of seriously disturbed individuals.

John Doe stopped taking his medications which resulted in ........... (fill in the blank.)

Family members on waiting lists to have relatives committed while mental hospitals are being closed. Here in NC there's a controvery about what to do with the buildings and grounds of Dorothea Dix Hospital facilities.
    Closing a hospital when there aren't enough beds for the "most serious" cases. Greedy developers emerged at the announcement of the closing. Spending $40 million on services -- it didn't say hospitals.

In addition to criminal re-offenders, I've read somewhere the stats on how many of the "homeless" population should be in a treatment center for mental illness. Instead they are living in cardboard boxes fighting the demons in their heads alone. How often do we see in the news stories of government officials clearing out shanty towns and forcing them to move on to somewhere else?

If any one of these "most serious cases" makes the national news, the cry goes out to ban guns. Folks, isn't there something wrong with this picture that has nothing to do with guns?

#26 Oldtimer, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hunt with what the liberal press calls "assault" weapons and "semi-automatic". My rifle, my .22 for teaching at the church camp, my shotgun all are "semi-automatic" (a FAR cry from machine gun spraying that criminals use).

I cannot abide the rhetoric that blames guns for killing children. Yes, 20 children under 7 were killed Friday. But fertilizer (Tim McVeigh OKC bomb) killed 19 children under 7. HEre in Casper, a student killed two professors with a bow and arrow.

Outlaw fertilizer? Outlaw bow-and-arrow? Outlaw hunting guns? Ludicrous.

MOVED to general discussion area, since this is NOT a Baptist discussion

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aww now you have done it. You've gone and used commons sense.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

While I do think there is need for gun law reform, it is interesting to note that the deadliest school massacre was not accomplish with guns.

BATH MASSACRE

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#30 Crabtownboy, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I graduated HS in '77-------thinking back----there were some teachers back then that ------- well ---- it probably would have been unsafe to those around them had they been "Carrying heat"-----mercy!! There are teachers I know NOW that if I were the Sheriff there is no way on God's green earth I would "Deputize" them!!!

12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Yep, Tom left out a word in his sentence.

"It is fairly certain that if every --- qualified --- teacher and staff member in the school were armed armed and trained, there would have been fewer deaths at Sandy Hook school."

However, he did include an important one that carries a similar meaning. Trained Not everyone can pass a thorough training class.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Where is that in the constitution?

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And this is what I mean when I say we've got to stop thinking like the world and stop trying to handle things from a worldly perspective. Our focus has GOT to be all about Christ and pointing folks to Him.

We don't need a reducing measure. We need a set free measure and no one but GOD can do that.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

ZAAC,

I admire your conviction here, but reality is that as pilgrims in this world we also have a responsibility to love others. Protecting them from harm is part of love and if we lose that right to protect ourselves and others due to faulty legislation we cannot blame anyone other than ourselves.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Interesting...

• A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting

• A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Middle_School_dance_shooting

• A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_School_of_Law_shooting

• A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_Square_shooting

• A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21868

• A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun. http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...-shootings-one-widely-known-the-other-ignored

• At the recent mall shooting in Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon. http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/18/gun-ownership-up-crime-down/

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not saying don't protect. What I'm saying is that the world is always going to respond with everything BUT God as the solution.

The CHURCH needs to respond, and loudly so, that GOD is the answer.

But we keep allowing the one truth that will truly make a difference to get drowned out by the world's voice and ours joining in unison with them.

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

Sorry to resurrect the dead on this one, but I was reading old posts.

The rules for arming teachers and staff should be the same as arming any other citizen. If they have a felony conviction or history of mental health issues they are disqualified. That may be a lot of our teachers. But if they are qualified to own a firearm, and want to carry on school property, why not train and allow them to.

Schools, theaters, shopping malls - all "gun free" zones where legally armed citizens are barred and only the criminals have guns.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally Posted by North Carolina Tentmaker [​IMG]
    There is no constitutional right to shoot deer, dove, or clay pigeons. But there is a constitutional RESPONSIBILITY to overthrow any government that becomes too oppressive. But I guess we lost that argument in 1865.

I believe he is talking about the Declaration of Independence, which IMHO no longer has any legal authority

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I kind of like you on your soapbox. :thumbs: