1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Gun Ownership ... and my prediction!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, May 26, 2014.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1. I've given you the defence now. You still haven't answered by question.
    2. Do you believe I'm a lawyer or a liar? Enquiring minds wish to know...

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "How is it not" is not a defense.

And I explained to you why I would not answer, because you refused to answer my question and I don't feel any obligation to answer someone's questions who will not show me the courtesy of answering mine.

Based on your posts, I do believe you're lying.

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I have answered your question. Now kindly answer mine.

I note you have called me a liar and, like Rev Mitchell, are now reduced to personal insults which do neither of you any credit whatsoever as men, still less as Christians. I have therefore taken note of both of you.

As you have impugned my honour, I have no choice but to 'out' myself - kindly Google 'Starbuck and Mack Solicitors' or my professional profile here, and I await your apology.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt....police do not defend you. Rather thay come a calling to fill out the paperwork after the homicide. Generally during an assault, you had better realize you have to either : run if you can, stand and be assaulted, or defend yourself. A weapon used for defence is a tool to both take a life (the offender) and perserve a life.....technically yours & as well as other bystanders.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

And yet neither I nor indeed anyone I know has felt the slightest desire (not in my case since I was about 10 years old) to possess a gun, yet we do not feel unsafe. Explain that!

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did answer yours.

Actually, I never personally insulted you. I just pointed out that, based onel your posts, I do not believe you're an attorney.

Oh, no! I've been taken note of??? However shall I go on.

And you'll be waiting quite a while. Anybody can claim to be anything on the internet.

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Do you acknowledge I'm a lawyer or not? Do you retract the insult of accusing me of lying or not (to try to wriggle out of that being a personal insult is very poor show on your part)?

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you acknowledge that I am Lrrr, Ruler of the Planet Omicron Persei 8?

Do you retract the lie?

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

As it is true that I am a lawyer, there is nothing in there to retract. How about you?

10. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The vitriol by some in this thread is unfortunate, and the fact that someone from another nation who apparently does not fully understand (or perhaps merely cannot agree with) the American history concerning firearms, should not be cause for unkind words.

My two cents ([probably worth even less):
    --The "right to bear arms" comes immediately after the 1st amendment guarantees of multiple freedoms, so the framers of the Bill of Rights must have thought it very important. Hence many Americans still think it important, along with the rest of the Constitution.

--The U.S. Supreme Court has judged that the 2nd amendment includes individual arms, not just organized militia. That's no guarantee of rectitude, as many Americans disagree with Roe v. Wade, though a comparison between the ruling on a specific constitutional amendment and a judicial stretch of an amendment is apples/oranges. (IMO, applying to abortion the right to privacy under the due process clause of the 14th is a tragic stretch.)

--For folks with ready access to hunting opportunities, it's a time to be out in nature with a chance to obtain some chemical-free (or nearly so), low-fat meat without paying for someone else to dispatch the animal. (Attornety Black's excepting sporting uses from his anti-gun stance is noted.)

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thanks - some light rather than heat.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't get it from me.... the heat came from two Baptist pastors.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

... they say.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry. Kidding. Couldn't resist.

14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Just call me Frye.

Back on topic, guns have numerous uses. Killing or injuring are on there, yes. But as has been pointed out, the killing or injuring is used to preserve innocent life (I am keeping my discussion about law abiding citizens, not criminals).

Besides shooting humans, there's hunting. There are so many hunting seasons that I don't even know them all. But let's use a few basic groups. Shotgun deer, rifle deer, bird, and hog seasons. OK, now shooting a human drops to only 20% of a gun's purpose.

Personally, cleaning a weapon is a very relaxing time. I use cleaning weapons as a way to get my mind off the world, and it helps having a familiar task to thwart PTSD episodes. So, killing drops to 17% of the uses.

Proper gun control and care is an exercise in discipline. It's used in military training, but also parents teaching their children responsibility. So, killing is down to 14%.

Now, we enter sport shooting. There's sniper challenges, skeet shooting, quick draw, trick shots, and more.

So, as you can see, shooting a human is less than 10% of a weapon's uses.

Besides this, it comes down to a basic freedom. The right to bear arms is guaranteed the American people. To take that right is an infringement, and the beginning of a slippery slope.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

They're both pastors?

Ah, that might explain it - perhaps they both need to take sabbaticals!