1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Haggard Still Struggling

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Magnetic Poles, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, he's hated by liberals. :thumbs:

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't know, but it seems that he did not come out with that abuse story until after he was "caught". Btw, you need to go on Youtube and look at several of the videos featuring Mr. Haggard. There is one where he is asking people about their sex lives. That should have sent up some red flags right there.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==First, if it is prejudice to say that a man who has been caught using drugs and involving himself in homosexual activity should not have a place of leadership in the church than yes I am gladly prejudice. As for liberals and atheists, people like Haggard feed those fools with the very talking points they use against Christians (example). That is a secondary reason we need to distance ourselves from public figures like Haggard. The first, and most important, is the Biblical reason (1Cor 5:9-13).

==I don't care if the documentary was shot before or after his fall. He is still guilty and he still humiliated the body of Christ and Christianity. That is the major problem.

==I've not heard him say that. What he says is that "sexuality is confusing and complex". From a Biblical point of view there is nothing confusing about it. The Bible is clear that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God (1Cor 6:9-10). We are warned in Scripture not to fool ourselves or allow others to fool us with empty words, "no immoral or impure person" will enter God's Kingdom (Eph 5:3-12, Gal 5:19-21, 1Jn 3:9-10, Rev 21:8, 27). Haggard needs repentance, not counseling. He needs to learn the fear of the Lord (Pr 8:13).

I repeat what I have said. He needs to go away and live a low profile life. He needs to stop trying to be Mr. big shot and realize that he has disgraced the church. If he wants to sell insurance, fine. But he needs to do it away from the cameras.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==So is Bill O'Reilly, but he denies our Lord's Word in John 14:6. Being disliked by liberals is not a sign of orthodoxy or righteousness.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Isn't a Christian caught in such sin supposed to go through a process of repentance and restoration? I though that was the biblical model.

Has Haggard gone through this process? He was a very public figure (to put it mildly) with lots of people being led by him (pastor and Pres. of the NAE). It seems if he had gone through this process or was going through it, he would let it be known. If he was restored, it would be known.

If he has not gone through this process, then one must wonder about his submission to God and his repentance.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I would appreciate it if you keep your lectures to yourself about what a great debtor I am, or subtly suggest that I'm not. I know full well.

Are you done making excuses for him? He made the choices to do what he did and he did it thinking that he wouldn't get caught. He had ample opportunity to do what was necessary to deal with the issue and he didn't. Let's not pretend there's something admirable here. There isn't.

QFT&CA

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently not, or you would acknowledge you'd be in the same boat as he if not for God's grace. As it is, you give all the evidence of one who thinks there is something in that bag of flesh of his besides worms. That you are who you are because of some intrinsic virtue.

Who's making excuses for him?

You do not understand the bondage of sin, especially in the area of one's appetites, or you would not utter such foolishness. (And you need no lecturing concerning God's grace?)

People are not called slaves to sin for no reason. You have no idea what he was thinking.

You must be dull of hearing. I don't think there is anything admirable about any man.

God exposed him,
    God removed him from office,
    God removed the honor of men,
    God is shouting it from the housetops,

and, in the face of fierce scrutiny of the world and the church, God has prevented him from justifying his behavior or his affections.

From my point of view, he's in a better position before God than you are, and I say God bless him.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gays hate him too! :thumbsup:

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

way out of line, and that's not your call to make.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Don't pretend that you know anything about me or the ways that I've failed.

You are when you said this.

Seems to me that you want to give him an out. What other conclusion should I be drawing here?

As one who has failed in areas of morality, I know full well that he made the conscious choice to do what he did and he wasn't going to stop because he thought he wouldn't be caught. But, as it does with all of us, his sin found him out.

You assume too much.

I'm confused by your posts.

If you were someone on this board that I respected, I would be concerned.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I'm not sure why you think that is important. The gays hate Haggard because they think he is hiding his true feelings. That is obvious from replies on Youtube videos featuring Haggard.

==God bless Haggard, for what? For trying to excuse his sin? He says that "sexuality is confusing and complex" and then turns around and tries to blame his confusion on childhood abuse. Correct me if I am wrong, but did he say anything about childhood abuse before this? True or false, it sounds like an excuse to me. When David confessed his sin he did not seek to place blame on others. He realized that his sin was against God and that he was to blame for his own sin.

"For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that You are justified when You speak and blameless when You judge" -Ps 51:3-4

Maybe the reason Haggard finds "sexuality is confusing and complex" is because he has not denied himself, taken up his cross, and followed the Lord Jesus Christ? Maybe he finds it confusing because he is not saved? The Bible is clear that the lost person cannot escape their sin. They can clean themselves up on the outside but the inside is still dead. Such people are in danger of once again being overcome with sin (2Pet20-22). The Bible is clear that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God (1Cor 6:9-10). We are warned in Scripture not to be fooled with empty words because "no immoral or impure person" will enter God's Kingdom (Eph 5:3-12, Gal 5:19-21, 1Jn 3:9-10, Rev 21:8, 27). As I said in an earlier reply, Haggard needs repentance, not counseling. He needs to learn the fear of the Lord (Pr 8:13).

#31 Martin, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yes, and Haggard decided not to go through this process. Instead, he started it when caught and ended it shortly after (two day I think)...

So, no he has not gone through the process yet wants us to believe he is 'ok'.

Jamie

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were someone you respected, I'd be concerned too! :laugh:

Anyway, just tho't I'd point out the fact that when he could have renounced his religion, fully embraced sodomy and gained the sympathy and support of the world he didn't.

That says something, and I say God bless him!

14. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

It's very difficult for a man like me ...to love a man like that(Haggerd) ...but I'll do it, because, it would be pleasing to my Father.

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Good point. Why didn't you just say that earlier and we could have avoided this unpleasantness? :wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.